airport logistics

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

airport logistics

Post by jack »

anyone flying into san jose thursday afternoon between 2:30 and 3pm? caravan ray is flying all the way from australia and would love a ride to santa cruz from the airport, or maybe to share a shuttle. if anyone is flying in around that time and renting a car, or is passing by the airport, or feels benevolent for our weary aussie friend, either PM caravan ray or post something here.

coordinate general arrival times in this thread, or post where you are coming in and when if you need a ride. i might be able to pick people up if it doesn't conflict with my work.
Hi!
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Spud and I are arriving at Oakland on Wednesday at 7:40. I'll probably be renting a car. I don't know what Spud's doing for transportation.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

fluffy wrote:Spud and I are arriving at Oakland on Wednesday at 7:40.
If you guys are interested in dinner in Berkeley that night, let me know.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I can't speak for Spud, but HELLS YES.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Re: airport logistics

Post by jb »

jack wrote:anyone flying into san jose thursday afternoon between 2:30 and 3pm? caravan ray is flying all the way from australia and would love a ride to santa cruz from the airport, or maybe to share a shuttle.
I'm arriving in San Jose at 3:01 PM on thursday, and renting a car that theoretically seats 4. Ray, you can ride with me if you haven't found transport yet.

I then leave on Sunday afternoon at 3:40 PM.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

jb wrote:
jack wrote:anyone flying into san jose thursday afternoon between 2:30 and 3pm? caravan ray is flying all the way from australia and would love a ride to santa cruz from the airport, or maybe to share a shuttle.
I'm arriving in San Jose at 3:01 PM on thursday, and renting a car that theoretically seats 4. Ray, you can ride with me if you haven't found transport yet.
Yep - that sounds good - I arrive around 2:40.
It will be just me and a suitcase - so if we fit, that would be sweet. I'm going to a motel in Santa Cruz near the venue
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Caravan Ray wrote:
jb wrote:
Yep - that sounds good - I arrive around 2:40.
It will be just me and a suitcase - so if we fit, that would be sweet. I'm going to a motel in Santa Cruz near the venue
yeah, that's awesome JB. i can give you directions to his hotel but it's real easy to get to. also, san jose airport is pretty small compared to san francisco, so it's easy to get around, and the baggage claim area is pretty small. one thing to check on is that san jose has 2 seperate terminals (depending on the airline) so just double check to make sure you guys arrive at the same terminals. otherwise, there is a free shuttle bus that just loops around all the time.
Hi!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Speaking of airport logistics, follow the news carefully today and be aware that the asshole terrorists have caused the kneejerk tsa reaction to ban all liquids and gels on carryon baggage, and if you're flying out of britain you won't be able to carry anything on.
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/thr ... dance.shtm
unless this changes soon this isn't a good time to fly.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

There goes our plan for not checking baggage and just taking carry on.
Songfighter since back in the day.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

Bjam wrote:There goes our plan for not checking baggage and just taking carry on.
no, it's only for England<->US flights. You're British, but you're flying from Philadelphia.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

There's still no liquids allowed, I believe. Shampoo, contact solution, perfume, etc.
Songfighter since back in the day.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

Bjam wrote:There's still no liquids allowed, I believe. Shampoo, contact solution, perfume, etc.
Bjam is correct....all flights will be affected. From our Corporate travel people today:

Travel Recommendations for Flights Originating in the United States

Arrive at the airport at least two hours prior to departure for domestic flights and 3.5 hours for international flights

NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN CARRY-ON BAGGAGE. ITEMS MUST BE IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, toothpaste, perfume, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency. Exception: Baby formula and medicines must be presented for inspection at the checkpoint.

Beverages purchased in the boarding area (beyond the checkpoint) must be consumed before boarding because they will not be permitted on board the aircraft.

Passengers traveling from the UK to the U.S. will be subject to a more-extensive screening process at the boarding gate.

International passengers be aware that although you may carry laptops, etc., from the United States to the UK, all carry-on luggage is prohibited on flights originating in the UK

Cooperate with security officials and be prepared for security screening
Pack lightly — Use clear plastic bags to facilitate faster screening. Review the list of TSA banned items when packing.
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I think at this point they should just cut to the chase and require us to all check in our baggage in kevlar-lined standardized shipping containers, to show up at the gate naked, and to be provided a government-issue jumpsuit to wear while sitting in our assigned seats, which we must stay in for the duration of the flight (enforced by strict lockdown). Then they can at least stop pretending.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

HeuristicsInc wrote:Speaking of airport logistics, follow the news carefully today and be aware that the asshole terrorists have caused the kneejerk tsa reaction to ban all liquids and gels on carryon baggage, and if you're flying out of britain you won't be able to carry anything on.
Well, it may be a knee-jerk reaction, but do you want to fly on the plane that doesn't screen this shit? Assembled liquid explosives aren't anything new. I never bemoan the screening process when I fly (a couple times a week lately). I knew a couple guys who had buildings fall on them because of this shit. Just leave a lot of time. My family arrived at Heathrow yesterday, and just missed the mess.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

If you think this is going to stop the actual terrorists should they wish to bring stuff on then it's not a kneejerk reaction. I don't think this is going to work.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

fluffy wrote:I think at this point they should just cut to the chase and require us to all check in our baggage in kevlar-lined standardized shipping containers, to show up at the gate naked, and to be provided a government-issue jumpsuit to wear while sitting in our assigned seats, which we must stay in for the duration of the flight (enforced by strict lockdown). Then they can at least stop pretending.
I would be glad to comply to avoid being blown out of the sky. Flying is fucking dangerous enough. And another thing. Eat before you leave. No more stupid food and beverage service, PLEASE! It's not a restaurant or a party, it's a means of travel.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I should restate - it seems any time there's a terrorist plot the tsa and such scramble to ban anything remotely like that threat. as roymond says, assembled liquid explosives aren't new, but they're banning all liquids, gels, and similar because of them, very suddenly. that's the kneejerk reaction.
also, beverage service is important, especially if you can't bring beverages on the planes now - how many dehydrated/fainting people would we have on long flights now?
anyway i'm just letting everyone know in case you didn't see the news.
-bill
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Airplane meal service is dumb, yes.

Airplane snack and beverage service is there for a reason, though. It helps to calm peoples' nerves (yes they could just bring their own snacks on I suppose) and keeps people from being too agitated, and also helps to avoid dehydration, since people are notoriously bad about drinking water when they're just sitting there but the circulation of the filtered air in the airplane dries you out faster than a "dessicant - do not eat" packet.

Also they tie together in that the salty snacks encourage you to drink more.

Now that you're apparently not allowed to bring drinks on by your own volition, the in-flight beverage service is even more important.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

HeuristicsInc wrote:If you think this is going to stop the actual terrorists should they wish to bring stuff on then it's not a kneejerk reaction. I don't think this is going to work.
Well, you gotta try, right?
HeuristicsInc wrote:assembled liquid explosives aren't new, but they're banning all liquids, gels, and similar because of them, very suddenly. that's the kneejerk reaction.
Yes, I agree. They should have done this on 9/14 when flights resumed. None of this half-assed shit.

That didn't come out as planned.

That either! AHHHHH

And yeah to stopping the food service. I say bottled water and mallomars only! It could be an exclusive year-round treat deal.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Shit - I was gonna pack a slab of XXXX to carry in my seat with me.

Look's like I'm just gonna have to neck the 2 dozen cans before take-off now.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Wait, I thought you guys finally seceded from the UK.

Mallomars would be ++awesome.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Well, I'm flying home from a two week vacation in Ontario (Wedding and family there) and when we boarded the plane this morning at 7 am in Hamilton, I carried on a half litre of chocolate milk, but when I got through security with my daughter, the rules changed, and the guard inspected Dana's coffee! But she was still allowed to take it into the secure area. When we got to Calgary for our 7 hour stop over (grrr westjet...) we had to pack all our gels and stuff into a ups box and mail it home because our luggage is checked already...she had just bought some fancy makeup things I don't understand (cause I didn't do the Ratt thing)... so it's weird how as the day progresses around this airport the security is in a bit of disarray... I watched as security personnell debated what could or couldn't go through...

But here's the thing: sometimes a knee jerk reaction IS appropriate. Like it or not, the world is gradually erupting into a world war... now, I'm not sure if world war is defined by war in each nation, or each nation AT war... but the fact is, people are, and are trying, to kill people for ideas.

BJAM: You could wear your contacts, put your glasses in a case, and then hit a drug store once you get in and buy travel size things and get samples for make up and the like... and mail anything big back home when you are done...just a suggestion.

...two more hours til my flight outta here... gotta love laptops and wireless though...