The Descent

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

The Descent

Post by Adam! »

This is probably the best horror movie I've ever seen. Even though it is a total bloodbath (both figuratively and, curiously enough, literally), it takes itself completely seriously and doesn't even have a hint of camp. If you've seen the trailer you know it's about a group of women (there are basically no men in the movie) doing a lot of spelunking together. The cinematography is palpably claustrophobic, and the movie is plenty scary long before the real antagonist shows up. There's nothing quite as unsettling as caving accidents.

I'd give this movie a solid A, but there was one disappointingly clichéd moment that left a bad taste in my mouth. Later I did some googling and found out that the movie has been edited (dumbed down, if you will) for North American audiences. You can find the unedited scenes on Youtube (but dear god don't watch them unless you've seen the movie) and I can safely say that the American edits are retarded, sabotaging an important theme in the movie and wrecking the title's double meaning. So the unedited version gets an A and the edited version gets a B+, averaging out to an A-.
raisedbywolves
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by raisedbywolves »

It was pretty scary, I guess, but mostly really really Freudian. Neil Marshall has an impaling thing, it would seem. It tries to be Alien meets Pitch Black, and succeeds surprisingly well at that. It draws a few times too often on the scary jump-cut, though, to rate much higher than a B.
Aren't you the guy that hit me in the eye?