R.I.P Steve Irwin

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

R.I.P Steve Irwin

Post by Caravan Ray »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/20 ... 732439.htm

Whoa - just heard this! I'm shattered. That really sucks. And a freaking stingray of all things!! After what I've seen that dude do to taipans and salties!
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne
Pronouns: he/him

Post by c.layne »

yeah, i just read about this a little bit ago. really sad :'(
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Can't help thinking he must have been doing something really stupid with that stingray. Trying to kiss it or something.

Stingrays simply aren't dangerous. You can step on them by mistake and they'll get your leg - but getting hit in the chest means you were probably doing somthing dumb.

I used to cringe when I saw him handle snakes. I was licensed to handle venomous snakes a few years ago when I workd with the parks & wildlife department - and went on a few calls to catch (thankfully non-venemous) snakes from peoples houses. The way he used to grab brown snakes and taipans etc. was frightening. He broke every rule in the book. Playing with browns snakes is really dumb.

But - despite that, I loved Steve. He was a legend. He was completely mad - but he was fair dinkum about it. Genuinely insane - but a very funny bastard.

Happened the day after Father's Day too - very sad for his kids
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

It does seem a little surreal.

How long before we hear a heart wrenching tribute song to Steve? I'm guessing something like... Australian Idol sings for Steve Irwin, or something.
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

Caravan Ray wrote:Stingrays simply aren't dangerous. You can step on them by mistake and they'll get your leg - but getting hit in the chest means you were probably doing somthing dumb.
I have fucked a stingray before and I'm alright. On the news they tried to make out like he was doing something else and a stingray which happend to be around got him, but they're not really going to say a guy who just died was being an idiot

Neighbours spoilers probably for people who aren't Australian
Q: How is Sky Mangel like Steve Irwin?

A: They were both stabbed by a stingray.
Niveous wrote:It's a song about your dick and there's just not enough material to satisfy.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

It's really weird, because he's one of those guys that you just think, "Man, he's just not gonna die unless he's 120". He has really young kids as well :(
Songfighter since back in the day.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Bjam wrote:It's really weird, because he's one of those guys that you just think, "Man, he's just not gonna die unless he's 120".
No - it's weird that a crocodile didn't eat him. If the news today was "Steve was just eaten by a croc..." everyone would have gone " Yeah - saw that coming..."
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

sausage boy wrote: How long before we hear a heart wrenching tribute song to Steve?
Already on it.
"I Have A 15 Metre Crocodile Living In the Saltwater Of My Tears" will be in the shops next week. (Flip-side is a cover version of Axiom's "Little Ray Of Sunshine")
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Bjam wrote:he's one of those guys that you just think, "Man, he's just not gonna die unless he's 120"
...errrrr. The dude was a complete leg-end, but man, he totally had it coming. Come on. Funny as hell, but the way I see it he was lucky that his death was the last thing we heard from him and not the first as with so many stupid bastards who like pissing off dangerous animals.

...damn, the story's been taken down
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Respect for the man.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

I went to his zoo near Brisbane a few months ago - specifically to see Harriet the Galapagos Tortoise, and get a photo of her with my daughter Harriet. (Harriet, at about 150-ish was supposedly the oldest animal on Earth - she had been brought to Australia by Charles Darwin).

Steve was there that day - running around the place like an idiot. At one point - he came screaming around a corner on a pedestrian path in the zoo on a motorbike. My daughter was wanding around and he almost hit her - I had to quickly grab her and drag her out of the way. I looked up - and there was Steve - on a bike, with his one-year-old son balanced precariously on the petrol tank. He just gave me a stupid grin and said 'G'day'.

Anyway - Harriet the Tortoise died not long after that, and now Steve too. So I'm glad I didn't put that trip to his zoo off any longer.

As an environmentalist/conservationist - he had some pretty funny ideas, and was often just plain wrong. As a wildlife handler - he was a shocker, and set a terrible example to to anyone who may come across these animals in the wild. But he was fair dinkum about what he did, and very enthusiastic - and I always found I couldn't help liking him whatever he was up too. He was, I feel, an overall force for good in the world, and an asset not only to Queensland, but to mankind - he will be sadly missed
Me$$iah
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: I just bought a 12 string and a stratocaster with a whammy bar
Recording Method: Sonic-Core
Submitting as: infrequently as ever

Post by Me$$iah »

Caravan Ray wrote: - he will be sadly missed

tho not by the stingray it seems

wot...too soon ....

oh ... ok...

yeh, its sad, but he died doing what he loved..

Feel for his family tho... I liked Steve Irwin. He was good for kids
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Now if Johnny Knoxville dies I'll be forced to accept mortality.
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne

Post by c.layne »

WeaselSlayer wrote:Now if Johnny Knoxville dies I'll be forced to accept mortality.
can't say i'll be sad when that happens
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

I remember where I was when I heard the news. I remember like it was yesterday, or the day before that. I remember.

By the way, if anyone does record a country ballad, randomly end a line with "nine-eleven" a la Toby Keith on Southpark.
🤠
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

British/Antipodean sick humor offered by my college attending son

Did you hear what Steve Irwin's last words were:---

"Yeah I love the work of Gerry Anderson...Thunderbirds was great, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Stingray"

RIP "Mad" Steve Irwin
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
catch
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by catch »

Hahaha, awful.
Steve Irwin wrote:I'm glad I get to be alive to raise you, kids! Hooray!
http://stereotypist.livejournal.com/56895.html
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

stueym wrote:British/Antipodean sick humor offered by my college attending son

Did you hear what Steve Irwin's last words were:---

"Yeah I love the work of Gerry Anderson...Thunderbirds was great, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Stingray"

RIP "Mad" Steve Irwin
Pretty ordinary Stuey. I've been disappointed with the poor quality of jokes circulating since the incident.

Australia is reeling again this morning though. Yesterday, Peter Brock - motor racing legend - was killed in a crash in a race in WA. Probably not known overseas, but he was a household name here for 30 years - famous even to people like me, who have no interest whatsoever in motor racing.

This latest tragedy has led to a slightly better joke going around though:

On Monday, Australian wildlife legend Steve Irwin died doing something he loved.
On Friday, Australian motor racing legend Peter Brock died doing something he loved.

...could somebody please tell Warney to keep his trousers on until after the Ashes series is finished
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

Caravan Ray wrote:This latest tragedy has led to a slightly better joke going around though:

On Monday, Australian wildlife legend Steve Irwin died doing something he loved.
On Friday, Australian motor racing legend Peter Brock died doing something he loved.

...could somebody please tell Warney to keep his trousers on until after the Ashes series is finished
Note to Americans: This actually is funny, even though you don't get it.