Presidential Prejudices

Go ahead, get it off your chest.

Would you vote for an african american or woman for president of the United States?

Yes, I would vote for either one
88%
No, I would not vote for either one
13%

Total votes: 32
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Presidential Prejudices

Post by jack »

Lunkhead mentioned something in the other thread about feeling like we're not ready to vote an african american or a woman for president of the United States. (although oprah may someday prove this to be wrong on both counts).

i have to say unfortunately, i agree with him, not that i want to, but i feel like the majority of voters (not people) lean slightly right of center on most issues. and i think there are alot of built-up, inherant prejudices in certain parts of the country that no matter the game face, it just wouldn't happen.

as this is anonymous, be honest.
Hi!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

what about "would vote for woman but not african american" and vice versa?
not that i personally would pick either of those.
i wonder if there are people who would vote for an african american, or a woman, but not a candidate that was both... hahaha.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

if you would vote for one but not the other based on their gender or skin color, you're prejudiced. it's pretty straight forward.
Hi!
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I hope that I'm totally wrong and that my view of US citizens is undeservedly cynical. My guess is that most of the folks here would be fine with either a woman or an African American / black candidate. Hopefully we're more representative of the whole country than I think we are...
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

jack wrote:if you would vote for one but not the other based on their gender or skin color, you're prejudiced. it's pretty straight forward.
well, yeah, obviously. but you're poll's not scientific. heh. i hope you aren't saying i'm prejudiced.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

The size of a group and a group's intelligence are inversely proportionate. However much cynicism you are heaping upon the population of the U.S., a very large group indeed, is probably still not enough.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

I don't think that a group of artists is going to be representative of the general US public.

Steve
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

I will never vote for an african american or woman for president of the United States.
Niveous wrote:It's a song about your dick and there's just not enough material to satisfy.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

Yes, but I would not vote for Hillary!
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

anti-m wrote:Yes, but I would not vote for Hillary!
amen
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Surely though a woman or an african-american person would be a preferable candidate to a muppet.

Was it just me, or did that bloke running for the Opposition last time look uncannily like Guy Smiley from Seasame Street?

I think a human-shaped head would be a definite advantage.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

It's too bad Canadians can't vote with ya.. We'd fix all yer problems right quick.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

jute gyte wrote:The size of a group and a group's intelligence are inversely proportionate. However much cynicism you are heaping upon the population of the U.S., a very large group indeed, is probably still not enough.
The truth of this statement is outshined only by its eloquence. I doubt that one out of every thousand people in the US is qualified to vote for their president, and the same is probably true wherever people are allowed to vote for their government leaders.

Is that number too high? I wonder if one out of every thousand members are qualified to vote for the officers of Mensa, but, then, it probably will never matter who is in charge there.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

I said yes. That may mean that I'd vote for just about anybody running against a W-clone.

I would vote for Hillary; I'm not familiar enough with Obama yet to say, but I don't think I'd let his race stop me from voting for him.

As an Arizonan, I am pretty impressed with John McCain - I got to run sound for him at the Community College one time, and of all the politicians I've heard talk about the situation in Iraq, he struck me as the only one who actually knew what he was talking about. I don't know if I could bring myself to vote for a Republican for president (last time I did that was Nixon), but if he runs and wins, at least I'll feel like there's some hope.

Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

McCain's political views seem mainly abhorrent to me but he seems like one of the very few politicians who speaks honestly. And his experience as a prisoner of war is basically unbelievable.

(This [censored].org shit has got to go, by the way.)
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

I'd vote for a white guy
I'd vote for a white woman
I'd vote for a black guy
I'd vote for a black woman.
I'd vote for a (etc...)

I would not however, vote for Denyer.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I vote for the candidate that seems to have the values and principles and direction that I agree with.

I feel that voting for someone JUST because they are ethnic, different visually, or of the female gender is as chauvinistic as NOT voting for them for the same reasons.

I understand the symbolic nature of that type of vote however maybe it's time for our media soaked and influenced (if not controlled) society to start making choices because they are well thought out.

Not enough people put enough time into their voting choices, and it's compounded by the poor transparency of the political machination and the overwhelming influence of mass media.

Is it even possible for me to gross myself out?
adrift in a draft
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by adrift in a draft »

There was a time in my life when I thought women are to emotional to be in power. Since then I've realized people are to emotional to be in power.

I was hesitant to vote for Lieberman not because I'm antisemetic but because so much of the problem countries in the world are antisemetic - and it would complicate diplomacy.

I think Obama was raised Muslim - that might actually be a plus in diplomatic endevers.

I'm not a bigot I just discrimate against people based on thier religion.
The good lord invented beer to keep me from taking over the world. -me
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

this poll is flawed, anyway, in that some of the respondants are not citizens of the united states and hence would not vote for an african american, or a woman, or any person of any gender or race, for president of the united states.
Denyer wrote:I will never vote for [...] president of the United States.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

tviyh wrote:this poll is flawed, anyway, in that some of the respondants are not citizens of the united states and hence would not vote for an african american, or a woman, or any person of any gender or race, for president of the united states.
Denyer wrote:I will never vote for [...] president of the United States.
No, you don't say? :P A poll on a php public message board? Say it isn't so. I guess we won't be seein' this on CNN then?

I'm sorry...I'm just laughing at the obvious :-) BESIDES, I think you forgot that even those U.S. citizens right here on this board aren't OLD ENOUGH to vote in the first place :-)
obscurity
Mean Street
Instruments: Keyboards (88-note and qwerty), guitar, bass & edrums.
Recording Method: Pod X3 Live & Yamaha 01X -> Cubase 5 & Komplete 5
Submitting as: soon as I see a title that inspires me.

Post by obscurity »

Not to mention those who are american and old enough to vote but still won't vote, for whatever reason, regardless of candidate.
obscurity.

"Only the great masters of style ever succeed in being obscure." - Oscar Wilde.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Anyone who wants to vote in '08, let me know your choice and I'll go to Florida and put it in for ya. Zing!