tw3rp r3vi3w thr3ad

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

Egg wrote:
Smalltown Mike wrote: I hate that you didn't give anybody the two-word review: Shit Sandwhich.
That might actually be the etymological roots of the French word "Tabernac" which he flung our way.

It seems like there are a ton of reviews this fight compared to the number of entries. But then, I think that always happens when Gert enters because all 27 of them write reviews. (More power to them, incidentally).
haha!!

Actually, some french canadian guy explained to me that 'tabernac' relates closely to 'tabernacle', or a place of worship, it's kind of like saying 'jesus christ' or something similar, and as a lot french canadians are devout catholics, it's a pretty nasty swearword to some.

That being said, I hope no one really took my hateful reviews to heart. I was being the class clown, it's what I do.
* this is not a disclaimer
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

But clowns always make me cry.

Especially the ones in Cirque de Soleil.
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Piano, Drums
Recording Method: TASCAM DP-24SD
Submitting as: Balls To Monte, The Go-Kups, & and the Angle Brackets, The Buttermilk Compleat
Pronouns: he/him

Re: look i made a review!

Post by genecawley »

onedumbmick wrote:
gramparsons wrote:
onedumbmick wrote: balls to monte - left wrist slit
Well, I reckon that still leaves one wrist unslit. Don't let us stop you.

wasn't necessarily saying the song was bad.....but it was slow and depressing
I know. I was only kidding. Sometimes these messages don't come across with the amount of joviality as I'd like (but I hate smile emoticons, so you see my dilemma). I wasn't offended at all.
"...and it ain’t a fit night out for man or beast!”
Egg
Mean Street
Instruments: whistles and egg shakers
Recording Method: Cakewalk, Cubase, Audacity, Garageband
Submitting as: Phunt Your Friends

Post by Egg »

I knew Sven was joking, but was using this as a platform to wage some sort of songwar because I actually hate him.
glug glug glug egg makes wine. You can make wine too.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Paco: Well, it's a new direction. nah, I don't like it. sorry. It's got character, but when you take a step back from SongFight and view this as any other track it feels tacky and novelty, not even novelty but I'm gonna stop there cos I think you get the message. Lots of ideas, but you and me, I think we're at odds aesthetically.

Melvino: I like this, it would fit on an album with Big Success; a less fuzzy, more textured approach to indie-rock. The tambourine is cool, it makes the song feel more up-beat and summery. vote so far.

Tri Minutieux: Hello what's this, does somebody like autechre? I think somebody does, and that person is me. In terms of technique and vision this is the best track this week. Great textures and it's got space; I love the vibe created by the over-reverbed xylophone thingy. I expect most of the other reviews for this track are negative, it's a genre thing. I get it, and dig it. One bad thing, the vocals, totally unnecessary and they sound bad. they remind me of creepy Aphex Twin vocals (possibly your intention) but I don't like it when he does it either, doesn't add anything, just sounds like a badly recorded and badly sung track. Also, it makes me want a beat to come in somewhere, it's cool that it doesn't, but that's because you're going to submit again next week right? yes you are, never mind that Blue thinks you can't sing or something. -- oh, this is Egg, should have fucking guessed it. as if there'd be anybody else out there that would make music that fits my niche like this. Good work dude, you sound like a pro for a change. Hopefully one day everyone will get bored of pointing out what a 'song' is and realise that your NOT GOING TO WIN THE FIGHT so who gives a rats ass and appreciate this for not being a GnG.

BC3: Good but not your best. Not much I can be arsed to focus on.

Gert: Good. Unsurprisingly, but I really like the hooks here, not just the recording and musicianship. the verse is cool, Mike did an awesome job with the vox there, and I always like hearing different vocal tones coming in so kudos to Hip cola and Boltoph. Probably a deserved win on the cards here. Ooh synthy wibbliness. but more to the point, rock!

Spinlock: It's weird the way the drums and guitar fit together, like the drums are all tight and indie and the guitar's much more stadium and rocky, that synth makes it go all 80's in a cool Jefferson Starship/Transformers type way, nice sound. There's one bit of melody (the line right before "you haven't got it in you") where this sounds like, well, y'know Last Summer by Lostprophets? There's a bit in that that totally ripped off a Feeder song called...errr, 'Tell all your friends' and much as I'm loathed to admit I ever liked Feeder I did enjoy that song at the time. So it's a rip-off of a rip-off (I'm not accusing you, it just sounds like it) , but one that I like. I'm taking the long way round but what I'm saying is I like this song, which is good cos the last one I heard by you felt too cheesy for me. The overall vibe reminds me of this band called Plans & Apologies who you may not have heard of but you should definitely check on myspace cos they are 'le shit' as they say in france. I like the way it goes half time for the guitar solo, and this is one song where I quite like the guitar harmonies; count yourself lucky cos I've ripped Melvin for that on more than one occasion. Good effort then, my main gripe is, and I made a conscious attempt to ignore this on first few listens, but the "access denied, initiate countdown" stuff, why? it sounds shit. oops, ended on a bum note there (me, i mean).

Sven's Wreckdom: Come on! where's your rhyming couplets? where's your bridge? I don't hear a chorus being repeated ad infinitum. I think somebody needs to go back to the drawing board, you've obviously not been listing to enough......no wait, you've obviously been listening to too much Chris DeBurgh. My sympathies; way to express the pain you suffered because of it. "Laaaaady in reeeeeeed, is being disembooowwwwwwled......tongiiight". Well, I think you can kiss your Ivor Novello award goodbye. That means you're not as good as Robbie Williams, think about THAT.

Ross Durand spends the week listening to Madness and what do you know?! I was close to putting this in the section below, but I find myself listening to this more and more, really well done in pretty much every way. I like the sound of the guitar doing the stabs in the background during the verse. good vox. interesting outro. Can I get through this review without saying the words "Folds" and "Ben"? It would appear not.

Zoosneakers: As far as random ear-trashing sonic vortexes go this is good. Go and read my Wreckdom review, it goes for you too (if you need me to point this out it's a massively sarcastic (but not in a malicious way) dig at people like Minty)

Songs which have nothing wrong with them and yet I have trouble listeing to all the way through and/or saying anything complementary/constructive about (partly cos I'm in a particularly impatient mood and reviewing is fucking drag sometimes):
Anarchaeologysts
Raspy Jasper
Signboy

I've missed a few, I know, and seeing as we're all in apology mode this thread all I can say is, you want a review from me? well you should have entered the Cable Beach fight last year then shouldn't you. But seriously, I can't be arsed right now (or maybe ever unless you PM me saying "gimme a review, you slack fucker" in which case I might take the time, but it'll probably say Your Band: Shit Sandwich)

Okay, I listened to the Garlick Head tune and I enjoyed the jauntiness, I doubt I'd have dug it as much of the kazoo weren't there. Also Billy's Little Trip - I've been waiting for you to do a non-punk rock song where I can actually hear the vocals and stuff and I liked what you did this week. It Reminds me of Sonofsupercar.
spinlock
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by spinlock »

Holy crap that was a long review! Thanks.
Furrypedro wrote: There's one bit of melody (the line right before "you haven't got it in you") where this sounds like, well, y'know Last Summer by Lostprophets?
That was inspired by Busted's 'Air Hostess'. But I really appreciate the effort you went to to credit me with listening to bands with at least a vestige of class. Cheers.
but the "access denied, initiate countdown" stuff, why? it sounds shit. oops, ended on a bum note there (me, i mean).
I like to listen to women confidently spouting megalomaniacal tech gibberish. And I couldn't think of a bridge. Oh yeah, it was fun to do as well. We both cracked up while she was recording it.
specific_chris
A New Player

Post by specific_chris »

Songs which have nothing wrong with them and yet I have trouble listeing to all the way through and/or saying anything:

Raspy Jasper
BEST REVIEW YET
Sheail
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitars, keys
Submitting as: Idle Susan, Sheail, Mother Funker

Post by Sheail »

I had a bit of a listen to the songs. I enjoyed some of them, namely Melvin, Beefy, Durand, Tri Minutieux, Gert (I'm all about the organ solo). Oh and the other one that mentioned Belgium.
DarkSide of Archaeology
A New Player

Post by DarkSide of Archaeology »

i am not taking the bait of the huge sampling fight all i have to say is that for the limited tones you can get from any acoustic instrument you have the constraints of physics. there are no rules or constraints in sampled music, what i have done was not ment to be epic, its a songfight for fun. hotel california it is not, but objectively i think its fun. I understand i didnt include an acoustic guitar and my horrid singing voice but music entails alot more than ballads and standard song structure. Boulez for example. I dont like alot of music but i am open minded enough to not discredit it out of respect for others. if you think it is easy to build a groove with samples try it. if my head bobs talk all the shit you want, if not shut the hell up. also, if you feel that possibly i am untalented and unworthy of your time give me a genre and style with the instruments needed and i will do that unsampled completely. I play guitar, drums, bass, harmonica, banjo and i have turntables and a sampler.

i love you all and my first entry in songfight was 9-26-03 under the name dj doppleganger. i seem to have to put in my 2 cents every year on this topic.

Grow up
D
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

DarkSide of Archaeology wrote:if you think it is easy to build a groove with samples try it.
i've tried it and it's a piece of piss
Niveous wrote:It's a song about your dick and there's just not enough material to satisfy.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

DarkSide of Archaeology wrote:spew
what
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Incomplete reviews (and likely to remain that way)...

Balls to Monte - nice hearing you again. I also liked the sparse first verse

Ross Durand - this is awesome. vote

Anarchaeologysts - keep doing stuff

fluffy - not enough violence, but nice textures

A lot of the rest was over-the-top and pointless.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

Roymond's Reviews: Shit Sandwich.
* this is not a disclaimer
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Sven's Attempts At Humor: Really tiresome
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

DarkSide of Archaeology wrote:i am not taking the bait of the huge sampling fight all i have to say is that for the limited tones you can get from any acoustic instrument you have the constraints of physics. there are no rules or constraints in sampled music, what i have done was not ment to be epic, its a songfight for fun. hotel california it is not, but objectively i think its fun. I understand i didnt include an acoustic guitar and my horrid singing voice but music entails alot more than ballads and standard song structure. Boulez for example. I dont like alot of music but i am open minded enough to not discredit it out of respect for others. if you think it is easy to build a groove with samples try it. if my head bobs talk all the shit you want, if not shut the hell up. also, if you feel that possibly i am untalented and unworthy of your time give me a genre and style with the instruments needed and i will do that unsampled completely. I play guitar, drums, bass, harmonica, banjo and i have turntables and a sampler.

i love you all and my first entry in songfight was 9-26-03 under the name dj doppleganger. i seem to have to put in my 2 cents every year on this topic.

Grow up
D
Oh man did you wake up this morning and find dicks in your cheerios? Because it seems like that's all you have in your mouth right now.

EDIT: I listened to your song again while not drunk and it's not terrible. It's a little repetitive, but the tune is catchy. The vocals aren't dreadful. But you still shouldn't cry so much when Songfight doesn't like your music.
Am I rockin' hard, or hardly rockin'?
misterbeneboi
A New Player

Post by misterbeneboi »

anarchaelogists - hats and bass are waaaay too loud and dont change..boring, and poorly produced, this is clipping everywhere. i give this a: one thumb down

balls to monte - way to use really really crappy patches plus bad breaks/kits plus you think youre in the 80s. i give this two thumbs down

beefy - sounds full. the snare is garbage and after awhile that beat gets old, maybe you should consider not just using 1/8th ad 1/16th notes, or perhaps try using an actual break. not digging your voice or style and your rhymes are lame but its pretty surprisingly well produced and recorded for being a rap song on songfight. i give this one thumb half up

billys little trip - sounds like early 90s alternative like pixies or presidents of the united states of america. your vocal inflection is similar to frank black, which i like. the guitars are washing out the background vocals, but i dig this alot. two thumbs up

the booty chesterfield trio - hmm...i think if you had managed to balance the sounds better and apply proper gating and equalization this would sound good, but instead its just compressed and dizzying, i like the breakdown halfway through. one half thumb up

dj dickie quick - meh boring and repetitive, the beat doesnt change and its lame to begin with, the idea of tape cutups and sampling is wonderful in the hands of people like cassette boy, cut chemist, or prefuse 73, but here everything clashes and falls on its face, after awhile its just loops that you are are changing out. two thumbs down.

flvxxvm florvm - whats with all the distorted vocals this week? the bass is too out of time for me to get into the song rhythmically. too sparse, the guitar sounds are wet enough of heavy enough, they dont linger, they just pop in and out and leave no effect on the song...then it ends. two thumbs down

garlick head - i like the kazoo i like everything about this actually. short but sweet. two thumbs up

gert - clean, well seated production. vocals sound nice, guitars sound nice, drums sound nice. a bit generic sounding for my taste, i could see this on the soundtrack to a game like jeto moto on ps1 circa like 1998 or something. i dont really have anything negative or positive to say about it.
one and a half thumbs up.

ingrou - this is lame, you should listen to otto von schirach or bogdan rascynski. everything is clipping halfway through and im going to go ahead an switch to the next track. try switching your quantization to something other than 1/16th 1/8th try using more triplets or atleast identify your breaks. everything falls in a t-t-t-t-t-t-t 1/16th pattern. boring. two thumbs down.

melvin - this sounds pretty good at times, i like the verses but not the chorus, the music kind of falls apart during the chorus. i like the background vocals at 1:40. one thumb up.

paco del stino - im not really a big fan of your voice, or should i say, anyone who speaks that way, it reminds me of doormouse for some reason. the production on the song is kinda sparse. overall i guess it grew on me. i dont know why though. oh, there it goes, thats why i like this, 1:20. one thumb up (fairly enthusiastically)

raspy jasper - i like the lead ALOT, infact send me the wav of it, its so Boards of Canada'ish, i like the concepts in this song but i think it was pulled off poorly. one thumb up (enthusiastically)

ross durand - sounds good, its kind of piercing in the vocals maybe a de-esser would be nice on the ears. this reminds me of the bosom buddies for some reason. one and a half thumbs up

signboy - i dont like this. the hihat is the loudest element in the song and that is bad. so is your voice. two thumbs down.

sockpuppet - i like the production, kind of, i hate your voice, those rhodes are nice though. the beat is too upbeat and not dubby enough for the sound you are going for, which is a ripoff of the gorillaz im assuming. one thumb down.

spinlock/christopher butt? - everything sounds too thin, this has potential but at this point i dont really like it. you need to learn how to balance the instruments in your songs. and you need to learn not to record that chick. she sucks. one and a half thumbs down.

tri minutieux - your name reminds me of autechre. i can see thats probably on purpose. everything is peaking. the sounds clash and not in a good way, clean up the eqs in those high epiano hits. it develops into something i kind of like, texturally...kind of. one half thumb up (although comparatively i enjoyed it more than most that i gave a better score to)

wages of spin - you dont want to hear my comments on this and i dont really feel like typing them. or finishing this song.

wreckdom vs sven- it starts out like a morning zoo promo hahahahahaha. what the fuck man. now its doing something completely different but equally as wtf. im going to give this two thumbs up simply because it kept doing things i wasnt expected, and then it turned into some pretty brutal metal. BRUTAL. yes this is my favorite this week i reckon.

zoo sneakers - thanks for ruining the wonderful feeling that wreckdoms song left me feeling. is it 2:17 of noise? yes, why yes it is. this isnt even good noise like the dead texan. this is lazy boring noise. you lose. no thumbs, up or down.
misterbeneboi
A New Player

Post by misterbeneboi »

http://video.stumbleupon.com/#p=tbckzh4ifp I think everyone could learn a thing or two about music from this.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I think you meant to post that <a href="http://www.songfight.net/forums/viewfor ... 1">here</a>.
Billy's Little Trip
Odie
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics

Post by Billy's Little Trip »

misterbeneboi wrote:http://video.stumbleupon.com/#p=tbckzh4ifp I think everyone could learn a thing or two about music from this.
hahaha, great vid. I can't believe I just watched that whole thing, but I feel I'm better for it. If I didn't watch this, I'd have broke the lock on the forbidden keys box and been pushing on them all wily nilly. :?
By the way, I totally want to use that "little mouse" music vid and edit it with one of my punk songs, lol.
kaptainklaws
A New Player

tw3rpish

Post by kaptainklaws »

onedumbmick wrote:iNGRUO - you are not the aphex twins
I resent that... I don't think it sounds anything like Aphex Twin.

I think we have alot of people here who either don't respect much music outside of their bubbles or don't have an open mind towards something that doesn't use the traditional music making ways. No offense to anyone. This just seems to be getting in the way of constructive reviews and giving us more of these "Boo" and "You suck." Kudos to everyone who wrote more than 5 words and didn't use words that a middle schooler would use.

Beefy and Dj Snyder: The lyrics were pretty good however it was really your backing music that got me going. Absolutely wonderful beats there.

Balls to Monte: Quiet, not my kind of thing but still nicely composed. I would have liked if it got busier later in the song.

Flvxxm Florvm: This song had me and my buds laughing. Funny voices.

Wages of Spin: Chill, with a nice rocker edge. I dunno if the lyrics fit so well.

DJ Dickie Quick: I am not sure what this had to do with tw3rp so much and I liked it for the first minute or so but then got a bit too mixed up.

Billy's Little Trip: Fabulous as usual. Everything just fits together.

Signboy: I am sorry but the singing was too off. The music was great though. The chorus seemed to have it maybe the verses were done off on purpose.

Spinlock: This was funny... reminded me of a modern Grease Lightning or something. The music was wonderful in its entirity and the vocals were creative and fun.

Wreckdom Vs. Sven: Mr. Bungle... if you do not know that band go look them up. I listened to that guitar solo numerous times. It is godlike. The rest of the music is crazy fine.

Raspy Jasper: Good song... nothing wrong here. I can imagine seeing you live in a bar for some reason.

Garlick Head: Kazoos???? This song was fun and bouncy. I love the fact you kept the 3 in there.

Booty Chesterfield Trio: The music was a bit drawn out for me and the vocals were hard to hear... maybe clean it up a bit?

Zoosneakers: Loved the first half but it got too crazy after a while. Wasn't as nicely sculpted as the first half. Wanna collab?

Ross Durand: What a gifted man in both music and lyrical genius. Kiddy porn on an iPOD? Sounds exactly like a TV show jingle.

Sockpuppet: Music was nice, I did like the bass line. I am just not digging the vocals though.

Anarcheologists: First off, great name. The song was great all in all. I didn't see any falls or shortcomings.

Tri Minutieux: The ambience was absolutly beautiful. You created a wonderful atmosphere here that I feel was ruined by the words you kept speaking. Please try to find a better way to put the "t w 3 rp" in there.

Paco Del Stinko: It doesn't matter what the title is... your music continues to leave me laughing and singing along. You are great. These lyrics were among my favorite.

Gert: Rock hard... Sing hard... Its all good here dude.

Melvin: Another good composition. Love the harmony in the choruses.
<a href="http://www.ingruo.net" target="blank">-ART-</a>
<a href="http://www.myspace.com/ingruo" target="blank">-music-</a>
DarkSide of Archaeology
A New Player

Post by DarkSide of Archaeology »

thats funny i actually cried in the bowl of dicks. i didnt know my webcam was on sorry about that. Wouldnt be a fight with out another point of view would it?

cheers dickheads
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

YOU SURE SHOWED US