Graynbow Review Thread

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

HeuristicsInc wrote:dhb - this is wages's song with additional sounds from me. i think we really should have redone the verse vocals and such. i think that would have helped a lot. one of the possible problems is that i added the extra rhythms and synths after the guitar and vox were done, i think. my favorite part is my weird synthy solo at the end Smile actually that whole outro section incl. the last vox.
I was afraid you wouldn't agree, but I'm actually glad you do. I've got some food for thought from this entry.

It'll be interesting to see how people feel about King Me...
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

Thanks For The Frisbee wrote:
MintyHandy wrote:
Carpetburn wrote: Reviewer: too much of a c--t for me. get fu--ed
Note to self: me no reviewie carpetburn if me no likey carpetburn.
note to self: rememberie not to make a note to myselfie on a public website
:wink:
Uh oh, it's almost time for a super-quote-a-thon. Now someone else, reply to this one and keep ALL the quotes. I think last time we got a dozen or more. Call Guinness! No, the beer. Because if anyone really does this, I'm getting plastered tonight. :twisted:
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

WesDavis wrote:So I felt the sudden and inexplicable need to explain the shitty lyrics in my entry this week. And by explain I mean provide an excuse. Originally, the song was about a gay breakup, but I wound up liking the song too much to keep it as a joke song, and changed the lyrics at the last minute. I probably should've left it as a song about a gay breakup.
Did you hear my "Truth Fairy" from the Work-a-Day Skirmish (over 6 months ago)? Different concept, but still about gay relationships. I felt a little odd about it because I was afraid people would think it was meaningful to me personally, but it is just a story song ala Dylan. Ultimately I decided (I only had 90 minutes in the first place!) to keep the lyrics as is, but with a title like "Truth Fairy", it really fit pretty well, so it would be difficult to change it anyway. :)
http://www.philwages.com/music/Wages_TheTruthFairy.mp3 (NOTE: as of this post, my site is down, but hopefully it is fixed soon)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

rdurand wrote: she helped write.
Ahh - Syd is a girl - I couldn't quite tell. Though BTW - what sort of retarded parents name their offspring after a city? WTF is wrong with people names? That poor girl will recieve no end of taunting should she ever visit the capital of New South Wales. Suffice to say - I would warn her to stay well away from the promontories and stretch of water between Watson's Bay and Manly Beach
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

MintyHandy wrote:
Carpetburn wrote: Reviewer: too much of a c--t for me. get fu--ed
Note to self: me no reviewie carpetburn if me no likey carpetburn.
If you are going to quote the cunt, then at least have the courtesy to quote the cunt properly. He said: Reviewer: too much of a cunt for me. get fucked. The cunt didn't put any fucking hyphens in his statement, you cunt.
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: mine
Recording Method: wishful thinking
Submitting as: Thanks for the Frisbee

Post by Thanks For The Frisbee »

Caravan Ray wrote:
MintyHandy wrote: Note to self: me no reviewie carpetburn if me no likey carpetburn.
If you are going to quote the cunt, then at least have the courtesy to quote the cunt properly. He said: Reviewer: too much of a cunt for me. get fucked. The cunt didn't put any fucking hyphens in his statement, you cunt.
noted...enjoy :wink:
Thanks for the frisbee is on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music ect.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Thanks For The Frisbee wrote: note to self: rememberie not to make a note to myselfie on a public website
just don't say, "Too dreamy for me"
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Queen Anthony's Lace
A New Player

Post by Queen Anthony's Lace »

Mostess wrote:Queen Anthony's Lace:

I don't know where to put this. I like the meta-production---the obvious tape-sped castration, the constant rubbing of hand-held condensor mic sound, the tinniness of the instruments. I really like the Prince-ish chorus. But the narration is clumsy, the premise is tacky (just a list of red things, orange things, yellow...yawn). If anyone learns about Gilman's "The Yellow Wallpaper" from this, it will have done some good. Otherwise, it's a cute failure.
your comments/criticisms are accurate and appreciated BUT the vocals are not tape-sped, that is my drag voice
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

halen99 wrote: This site has given me great motivation and forces me to keep writing.
that's all that matters.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Gray Rainbow

1st Off I must apologize to all for not finishing the epic progressive rock extravaganza we recorded, but I still have to edit, for this fight. We were really busy rehearsing for the tour. This was Zipline meets Tiny Robots AKA Berkeley Social Scene.

So Reviews- They all say “Gray Rainbow” on my iPod, but on my commute I felt like I knew who most everybody was.

Billy’s Little Trip- Great production. The verse drags for me, but I love the intense chorus. Melody doesn’t grab me, but good performances! Pretty cool tune, it’s just not the single off the album. No guitar solo? Damn it Billy, I want to hear you shred!

Guy and Guitar #1 (C-Hack) - Not a bad melody. Pretty normal song. Catchy enough, certainly worth a full production. Doesn’t really stand up in this form, but it’d be good with drums and bass etc.

Carpetburn- AWESOME! I adore this band, and this is one of their better tracks. Always a fan of FP’s vocals, this is a particularly good performance! Slide guitar is beautiful. This intro actually reminds me of Gabriel Genesis. Oh man, when the band kicks in at 2:00 with that cool clean tone guitar and drums I get chills. Just fantastic riffs and parts! Clever and interesting! I wouldn’t mind losing to this song at all. You guys are like and English Braid on the latter part of this track. Fantastic!

Cranial Bifida- Big Dark Goth and Long. I can’t hear the vocals too well. Are you able to finish the Satanic Rites within the span of the song?

Cynthia & Sp00n- This is quirky, weird and enjoyable. I wish I could discern the lyrics a bit better. I bet they’re posted, that’d help. This is a bit hookless. Just an interesting groove.

Wages (Double Helix) - Music is terrible. Recording is terrible. Vocals aren’t as pitchy as usual, melody is still unsure of itself. This music is a mess, tough to listen to.

Eddie Lance- Pretty piano. Have you heard Keith Jarrett “the Vienna Concert”? If not, you should it is of this ilk, although it builds into a mesmerizing frenzy. This has a nice ambient intro bordering on new agey relaxation supplement, but I heard the potential.

Gothy Band #2 (HipWrecked) - Cool stuff, I like the 1st movement, what the Hell? Nerdcore? Yuck the rap is terrible. Clarinet is nice. Pretty cool music, ruined by awful rapping. Back to the 1st movement. These 2 ideas have nothing to do with each other; just sounds like somebody changed the station.

Hostess Mostess- Wow! Great singing man! Very nice piano! This is a bit adult contemporary, but there’s no denying the quality of the musicianship. This song makes me want to couple skate. I think the guitar could’ve been a little more interesting and slutty, but overall this is a great track. Probably my favorite from you guys. That super long held note by the backing vocals is great! Rhythm section is super tight and appropriate for the song!

Jolly Roger- What happened? This seems like a step or 2 backwards in production. Serious production issues, I’m sure you realize. The song itself is actually pretty cool. There are a couple of little timing flubs it sounds like. I would never say this sucks. I like listening to it all the way through.

Klownhole- OK this is about my least favorite from you guys. You didn’t try, this is sloppy and dull. You guys can be truly awesome when you want to be, I hope this was fun for you.

Caravan Ray (Lyric Burglar) - This is cool. Drum machine is groovy! Bass fun and notey. Nice bridge! Yummy liquidy guitar tone. This is top notch. Oh yeah! The doo doo doo’s rule! I’m keeping this one.

MC Eric B- Lyrics are horrible. I’ve heard every line in some other song. The only clever image is “Gray Rainbow”, but you didn’t write that. You can’t be serious. I can’t decide whether this is hilarious or just plain awful.

Mico Saudad- Mix is odd. Backing vocals are the loudest thing and the best part. Short and weird. This is a pretty cool song. BTW great to meet you in LA!

No Ghost- not in to it. Not offensive, beautifully weird, but nothing to grab on to for me.

Pipefist- Good singing, some OK piano playing. I’m not a fan of the production. I think the vocals are a little loud and dry.

Queen Anthony’s Lace- I could do without the 1st 35 seconds, but the falsetto casio groove is absurd and lovely. I really like it actually.

Signboy- Three Blind Mice. Yeah I can’t hear the riff without singing 3 blind mice. Drums are cool. Not into it.

Spinlock- This is wonderful. Great singing and playing. Beautiful phrasing, beautiful pauses and nice production! Cool song! A keeper a contender etc.

Spinning Merkaba-Ummm, I don’t remember this, I have to go back and listen again (I’m at work) I owe you a review! Sorry.

Steakhaus- Same as Spinning, can’t remember, got to go listen again, I’ll edit this post once I give another listen.

Syd and Me- Ross Durand is a very cool guy, I was very happy to meet him at the LA show. This song is cute, I downloaded for permanent listening. Syds vocals on “Rainbow” are so precious I can barely stand it. I can’t wait to get Bella on my tracks (the little girl in the KISS hat with the Death Cab for Cutie T-shirt at the Berkeley show). This is a good song. Very nice!

Thank Glennny for the Frisbee- We ought to do a side fight sometime where everyone does their treatment to a Frisbee song. He writes such damn good songs! Quite an honor to flavor them up. This was thrown together very last minute, but I’m not sure I would’ve done anything differently. My favorite “touch” I added was the Glock, very simple, but adds what I heard in my head. It was funny trying out the various screw drivers to use as a stick. I’m sure we’ll keep collaborating; I certainly enjoy the Hell out of it.

So my faves are Carpetburn, Lyric Burglar, Syd and Me, Hostess Mostess, Spinlock, and an obvious biased adoration for the Frisbee track.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Caravan Ray wrote:
rdurand wrote: she helped write.
Ahh - Syd is a girl - I couldn't quite tell. Though BTW - what sort of retarded parents name their offspring after a city? WTF is wrong with people names? That poor girl will recieve no end of taunting should she ever visit the capital of New South Wales. Suffice to say - I would warn her to stay well away from the promontories and stretch of water between Watson's Bay and Manly Beach
Yes, thanks for that advice.
So this is not a popular name in Australia, then? In 2004 it was # 27 for baby girls in the US. We chose the name going thorugh a name book back in 2000. We almost didn't use it due to the olympics that year, although it is kind of cool to have a Sydney 2000 t-shirt.
At least we didn't name her Canberra.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

pretty sure it was a name before it was a city. :D
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

blue wrote:pretty sure it was a name before it was a city. :D
So was Paris - but I wouldn't call my daughter that either
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

rdurand wrote: At least we didn't name her Canberra.
No - especially as that comes from an aboriginal word "Nganbra" meaning "hollow between a woman's breasts"
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

...and not before time!

Spinning Merkaba: I'm all for stuff that doesn't fit into a box, but I've never really gone for techno-rock. This is the kind of music that I can only picture being played by guys in leather pants, and for this song specifically there is a chorus of frogs keeping rhythm in the back row. For Electro stuff to work over rocky guitars imo it needs to be dirtier and gltichier (a la 65daysofstatic), also the beat is too repetitive for me, I like breaks and something a bit funkier. The outro sounds like it's more the kind of thing I go for but then it ends. Oh well, not bad by any stretch.

Glenneth, thy Frisbee is beautiful. Many thanks!: What can I say apart from keeper, and probably vote, cos how often do I get to vote for Frisbee/Glennny song? not often enough. Did I tell you about the supergroup I was going to start? It included You two, me, melvin, Luke Henley (just imagine him and Mel in a band together, well they say friction is where the magic comes from, hehe) oh yeah, and Denyer. Kick ass huh? I digress, I can't be bothered to type all the things I want to say about how much I like this song, I should do an mp3 of me talking about it, and then I could talk about Wedding Song too. I know I won't but I should.

HipWreckd: Your name this week sets me off singing Hot Club de Paris (denenenedeneHIP! denenenedenenenedeneneWreckd!). There are loads of really strong themes battling each other here; the overall effect is one of...Tom Waits and a really stoned Front (as his sidekick) in a post-apocalyptic India. Since Hipcola mentioned 65Days of Static in that other thread the influence here pops right out at me, even if it's not intentional the glitchy beats are my kind of thing and I love the way the song shifts gear, makes me think "the explosion that destroyed our city was nothing". See? death IS better than life after all. who'da thunk?

Lyricbugler: There's something about your tunes these days; they're always neat little packages of bouncey goodness. On one hand this is seamless, the way you've got a drum patch which makes you not care that it's only a patch, the guitar is such a pleasant and tight sound (compared to say, Double Helix's entry) and your vocals are solid and always cut up professionally whenever that sort of malarkey is called for (cutting up I mean, not singing). More to the point it's just fun, they're not even your lyrics, but whatever they say if it's about suffering or The Wiggles it's always full of jaunty energy. This is possibly because you can't take yourself totally seriously when you're openly ripping off another song, fucking brilliant, now if only there was a Chords Archive too.

Signboy: That guitar distortion sounds like ass, there's no tone. The chorus ain't bad but 2 things that let it down (for me) are that it repeats too much and at the end when you fade out it feels strange because you've already broken it down in a very similar way only about 30 seconds earlier. Actually this is produced quite well. Solid chorus, but it doesn't really flick my switch

Mico Saudad: Songs like this are a kick in the balls; you're doing the reviews, trawling through the shite, and then your song pops up. I'm totally surprised (I mean, I've heard your stuff before and it's cool but I've not downloaded any yet) this is funky and cool in a way that just sits back and says "Come get me, I'm all good but I'm not gonna force myself upon you" which is what I like a song to say to me (as opposed to "My melody is a giant hammer that I'm going to batter you over the head with!"), but as soon as I start to think this is good enough for a vote it ends, just like that. No warning, no groovy breakdown or concluding chorus, just ends. shucks. Guess I'll have to listen to it again. and again. and again. It's all about when the snare comes in. You should totally finish this off. Let me know when you do.

Banial Criffida: Where to begin without resorting to bullet points? This is impressive (which is a word I like to use when I'm not sure how somebody recorded music I wouldn't buy), so it's a shame I have a genre-deficiency here. Technical quibbles: drums sound programmed (but what can you do), and yet they work well at the same time. Guitars sound great, not too fuzzy or out of place, just demonic. Vocals are scary, but not in a way that makes me want to stop listening, some of the lyrics are even decipherable! kudos. I dunno if it's just the review process but I'm able to sit through at least 9 minutes of this without thinking about the time, which must mean it has enough variation and there's a very good attention to detail for such an epic. I think this is a victory for what you were trying to achieve, it's huge.

Queen Anthony's Lace: Macaroni cheese, livin it up. I thought this was either gonna be totally depressing or silly and tasteless, but I'm surprised to find it pitched right down the middle, ie, wistful yet playful. This isn't the greatest recording ever and I'm not too keen on the constant falsetto though it sounds sweet sometimes, but the more I listen to it the more I like it. This is like Why? playing the Beatles; tunes and beats, whoever doesn't like this is an idiot. Golden bleugh......sweet.

MC Eric B: I'm not gonna go back to the thread but I'm pretty sure in the prefight you were talking about hiphop beats, and your name suggests a hip hop theme so I'm confused by this weird Hammond Hillbilly dirge that appears to have your name at the top. The lyrics are pretty good here but it sounds like Dylan Day at Phoenix Nights.

Cynthia Sp00n and her impressive Size: This is weird, I could try and take a guess at what you're influences might be, but whatever they are this sounds like nothing I could name. The contrast between the chugging Krautrock rhythm and ethereal pads + Cynthia is....I got halfway through that sentence and then realised I don't know what it is, lets go with 'unique' for now (and don't take that in a negative way). I have to admit I'm not a fan of the slap bass effect but it's only a small thing. It's interesting the way the driving parts and the swirly parts tend to sound disconnected, but then I can hear the pads and bass synchronising in places. This is like a big futuristic space-jigsaw, What does that mean? not sure, I was straining for a description and that's the best I can do. Anyway, something I meant to say earlier; There's no difference between you and 'real' musicians as you described them, so you can't play guitar, big deal, nobody else here can program vocal patches like this. Our guitarist, Tom, he writes 1 song every 2 years and I say it's better to be a productive student than a lazy master. That's my 2p, and one day you'll find a better bass patch : ) (ps. I just read HipCola's review randomly, it's funny how people say totally opposing things, specifically re: vocoder, bass. It's true when they say you can't please everybody).

Eddie Lance: This is nice. In order to stop this sounding like all your other reviews; Have you seen many films Where Joe Hisaishi does the soundtrack, like all the Studio Ghibli stuff? This pretty much sounds exactly like that, and I feel it's slightly hackneyed when played out of context but whenever I hear this stuff used in those films it's really sweet. Next week you should get a string patch or something over the top. Or better yet, record another piano line, but make it really sparse, quiet and reverby to give the track a bit of sonic depth and/or texture. I also recommend xylophones and home-made percussion, personal taste.

Spinlock: This is not the kind of thing that grabs me immediately. After a few listens I'm starting to love the contrast between the pretty piano (which reminds me a lot of Eddie's and Mostess' songs this week, not a very deep comparison, I apologise) and the industrial imagery. The lyrics possibly make what I said to Eddie even more relevant here as Studio Ghibli are regularly returning to the theme of beauty versus industry/nature vs machines. The vocal melody is subtle but strong, and I like the doubled vocals. The strings do a good job of augmenting the piece without being overly noticeable or sounding cheesy (or rather, too cheesy, the whole song is a teeny bit cheesy, but in a way that I like). With a song like this I can never decide whether it's good that it never went anywhere (like having a band kick being the obvious example), if it had would it be as good? I guess I'd have to ask myself would I like Nightswimming by REM to have a significant development, and the answer is no, so you pitched it well here. Good job, you make the concept of Eurofight! Live a lot more appealing.

BaconLettuceTomato: The dark, brooding intro is cool but unfortunately I find the effect is spoiled slightly by the rhythm guitar. This is just my opinion but for slow rock songs a clean rhythm guitar rarely adds anything. Maybe it reminds me of too many hours spent strumming amateurishly in my room, but it makes it feel loose and lo-fi which means Pavement can sometimes get away with it but I doubt you were trying to emulate Pavement. The section directly before that where it sounds like you'd actually figured out a part to play rather than just having some chords to strum over was much better, you should have stuck with that, or developed it in some way...I seem to be spending a disproportionate amount of time thinking about this, lets move on. What else is there? a nice chuggy chorus, the guitar noise in between chugs sounds great. You're voice is by no means weak as well but I don't find myself being drawn in by it, I don't know why that is. This feels like it has 80's written all over it, mainly because of the chorus and vocal effects. Afterthought Re: solos - I dunno what to think about solos, they seem to me to be a vehicle for showing off technique and have little musical merit, though no doubt you are very good at them. I was glad you thought you'd give it a miss here, if only that it makes your output less formulaic. I have a love/hate relationship with them I guess; people at Carpetburn gigs often say "you should do more solos!" and I feel a mixture of flattery and irritation. Also, my aquaintance with Glennny (undoubtedly a good thing) started after I flamed him for soloing, so does that mean they're good or bad? It's totally arbitrary. In conclusion: They're good, but very overused.

C Hack: recording: the arrangement is uninspiring but you knew I was gonna say something like that and I do think it's a good recording for what it is. I like the guitar tone and the vocals are cool. Song: Not the kind of thing I'm looking for in a song, but it is the kind of thing that finds me regardless of whether I'm looking or not, meaning I hear it first time and think "meh, s'okay" and then I find myself humming it on the way to work and thinking "hey, that guy wrote a pretty good song". It has a way of sounding really flippant and whimsical and so when the deeper meaning seeps through my skull I wonder how I never heard it before. I can almost guarantee somebody will ask me what this song is when I hum it sometime and when I tell them it's off songfight they will immediately lose interest. Fuckers; I guess that means I should say "It's this dude called C Hack, all the kids think he's the coolest on AidsFace" (or wherever they hang around these days). I'm not sure what would make this song killer in terms of arrangment, but I reckon one of my blip-hop backdrops would sound kick ass (surprisingly).

No Ghost: Noobs? or SF vets in disguise..... it's good. I like that flanged guitar, the way it has no real melodic value but it adds atmosphere. Makes me think of New Adventures era REM. Sorry if you feel hard done by for gettin a relatively short review but this is good and I'm not gonna start telling you that I think it could be made better or the guitar rattles in the 5th verse or whatever.

Syd & Me: Aaw, how are we supposed to compete with this? Especially cos we're such a sentimental bunch. I just want Syd to know she's been cynically used (yeah that's right USED) for a cheap vote grabbing trick :) but how can I not like it. The fact is the person who's really being used here is Steve; such an individual talent and yet all anybody wants him for is his bugling. Well I love you Steve, even if all anybody else wants is the new Smoosh. What I really want to know is is this a one off? Or is there a long and prolific collaboration ahead. If there's a next time I wanna hear banjo, and then some experimental banghra stuff, it's about time.

Hostal Movice: Hey this is nice, I have to admit my opinion/taste is a bit weird because what I think when I listen to this is that you hit so many sweet spots and you always pull out that note that we're waiting for to make the phrase/verse/song complete, and yet so often this is the exact opposite of what I do when I write. I don't want to make this a review about me, but I want to express my appreciation for this song and do it in the context of my musical environment (if you know what I mean). I think that it's a sign of maturity (I don't know cos I'm kind of immature) that you like to go for the notes in the melody that are the most emotive, whereas I tend to shy away from them in favour of what sounds 'cool', I'd like to think I'm avoiding the obvious but your song rarely twists in the way I expect it to, but never sounds wrong. I hope one day the way you growl won't remind me of James Morrison (yes I think he sucks, and yes it's because I'm forced to hear him every hour on Radio1, what can you do? and anyway, he can't actually craft melodies like this).

Double Helix Bros: Good name, I had to think about it for 2 seconds but it's good. I'm afraid I'm going to mechanically disassemble this track: drums, sound good but stay the same all the way through which has the dynamic effect of making this reeaally boorring. Guitar, sound: like fart but it's all very well for us with the luxury of expensive equipment, playing: sounds like you played this with your prosthetic arm. occasionally has the effect of making this sound Pixies-ish, but remember, sometimes Pixies played really badly. The bass freaks me out, do you have some kind of filter sweep on it? It's dead quiet then it slowly gets super loud, I recommend not doing this in future, and just in case you get any wacky ideas about panning bass don't do that either. Phil's singing is solid, but you should go back over it after the take and redo the bits which are a bit late because it's the difference between the vocal sounding amateurish (which I know aaalll about) and really strong (which they should do with a voice like yours.)

Pipefist: The vocals here are really strong, they really carry the whole song. I feel like the rest of the arrangement holds it back slightly; the piano in particular sounds clunky and arhythmic in places, is there a piano and rhodes in there or are they the same thing? I feel like the rhythm of the guitar/bass/drums/rhodes has a swing which counteracts the vocal and piano. Neither sounds bad individually but it feels like they're struggling to fit together. After a few listens the song generally fails to make an impression on me. A shame, I guess it just didn't come together this time, there was potential. I like that synthy sound that comes in the background around 1.59.

Steakhaus: Another good name. I'm not a huge fan of Motorhead type stuff (but not a huge critic either, consider me a fence sitter), it's not the kind of rock you can argue with, and that fill at 0.36 is beastly, like it. I thank you for not maintaining that speed for the whole song, maybe it's cos I've got no stamina (or a tiny attention span) and the old half-time rhythm is the oldest trick in the book but it works to excellent effect here. If I was getting all analytical I'd mention that I couldn't hear the words, but I'm not cos that's the kind of thing that Ross durand does (miss the point that is) and what I mean to say is "Raaaaaaa!". Is that machine gun fire in the background? yeah this is pretty tight.

Carpetburn: In contrast to Couldn't Have Been Worse I spent a lot of time recording this. I think it is far superior, it's a very different song, but one worth fighting for I think which is why I felt the need to defend it's honour earlier. My favourite bit is the chorus at the end when the 4/4 comes in and I look forward to playing it live. Sp00n: You are too kind (for the 'embracing vocal failings' thing), and massive thumbs up for noticing the lyric, so many people (not English I might add) think that just because of my voice I like the Cure; fucking Roses aaall the way.
HipCola wrote: ...vox have the strain of Waters
Muddy? I'd love to know what you mean so I can investigate. Really pleased you
liked it.
There's no proof
- Point taken, I'll change that line to "now there is doubt of..."; it was an attempted commentary on the uncertainty into which our beliefs are thrown in the advent of new discovery. I judge by your silence on the matter you agree with me about the real issue here, ie, when was the last time all the people you loved/liked were in one place, it's probably never happened and never will. That's my Grey Rainbow.

Did you guess who I was voting for?

rdurand wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote: If you are going to quote the cunt, then at least have the courtesy to quote the cunt properly. He said: Reviewer: too much of a cunt for me. get fucked. The cunt didn't put any fucking hyphens in his statement, you cunt.
just don't say, "Too [CENSORED] for me"
...and for the record this has now become my most quoted post ever. There was me thinking we were all mature and grown up :)
Steve Durand
Panama
Instruments: trumpet, trombone, sax, clarinet, flute, keyboards, banjo, guitar, bass, ukulele
Recording Method: SONAR 6, Dell Inspiron E1705, Edirol UA-25, Studio Projects B-1 Mic
Submitting as: Steve Durand, Elastic Waste Band

Post by Steve Durand »

Furrypedro wrote: Syd & Me: ... The fact is the person who's really being used here is Steve; such an individual talent and yet all anybody wants him for is his bugling. Well I love you Steve, even if all anybody else wants is the new Smoosh.
Thanks for that. I'm glad somebody thinks that I have something more to offer than just horns. (Although I do like my horns)

Steve
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" -Unknown
"Seems to me this is the point of Songfight" - Max The Cat
MC Eric B
Push Comes to Shove

hip-hop

Post by MC Eric B »

Furrypedro - Usually I write hip-hop songs, but for the last 2 entries I was trying something different. My discussion about making hip-hop beats was in reference to my previous songs and King Me (I made the beat for that one entirely myself).

Furrypedro wrote: MC Eric B: I'm not gonna go back to the thread but I'm pretty sure in the prefight you were talking about hiphop beats, and your name suggests a hip hop theme so I'm confused by this weird Hammond Hillbilly dirge that appears to have your name at the top. The lyrics are pretty good here but it sounds like Dylan Day at Phoenix Nights.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Furrypedro wrote:
HipCola wrote: ...vox have the strain of Waters
Muddy? I'd love to know what you mean so I can investigate.
Hope I don't disappoint you by saying no, it's Roger Waters I heard twisted around in your vocals. And that's a great thing...not that Muddy isn't either. Great track this week.

I'm hoping to get the rest of my reviews done tonight/tomorrow...

Hoping.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Furrypedro wrote: Double Helix Bros: Good name, I had to think about it for 2 seconds but it's good.
thanks, that was my idea
Furrypedro wrote: The bass freaks me out, do you have some kind of filter sweep on it? It's dead quiet then it slowly gets super loud, I recommend not doing this in future, and just in case you get any wacky ideas about panning bass don't do that either.
Yeah, that's arpeggiated synth bass with filter sweep, I love the sound of it myself. Perhaps I should have done a compressor on it or something to even out the volume.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Songs are rated on the 20 point iron chef scale, 5 points each for plating and originality in the use of the theme ingredient, 10 points for flavor.

Thank Glenny: You did a really, really good job with the lyrics and vocal metre on this song. Even if the words and themes themselves aren't great, coming at the title from an angle was exactly the correct strategy.

Plating: 4 points - the mix, mostly the acoustic, is a little muddy. i think cleaning up the bass on the acoustic and the bass itself would have made this tune really pop. But that's a nit, overall this sounds really decent.

Use of the theme: 5 points - perfect. exceptional lack of use of a crappy title, while retaining the concept and idea of the title. the listener can know the title and draw straight lines from the imagery back to it. top notch. if everyone in songfight paid this much attention to the art of songwriting, i'd never listen to anything else.

Flavah: 6 points - as much as i like the concept of this song, it's very up-and-down in lyrical quality. you have a giant sort of dead spot in that second verse (or maybe it's the first verse, if the song starts with a chorus) that lets the whole deal down a bit.

total: 15 points

BLT: This song had a lot of potential but was also very sloppy.

Plating: 3 points - There's just too much guitar here, trying to do too much. The bass is only audible as stringy attack notes, and the clean guitar has a weird pastiche all over it. Maybe it's hard for guitarists to record something cool and then let it stay the f out of the way of the rest of the tune, but I think that's what needs to happen here. Also, maybe it's my ears, but is the vocal line adjusted well left in the mix? It sounds like the attack is panned left and then the echos are centered? Disturbing.

Use of the theme: 3 points - another good use of not actually singing the crappy title. these lyrics don't quite pop out at me, but what i can make sense of has a good flow.

Flavah: 5 points - the mix is so up-and-down, it's hard to stay with the song. there's places where it's really decent, and places where it just falls right down. the song itself isn't much beyond a decent 70's floyd clone, and that's just fine. i think the very best this could be is something i'd have really like in 1984.

total: 11 points

Carpetburn I'd call this one "Carpetburn-by-the-numbers." You guys have a decent and distinctive sound and I don't think this strays much from the charter. the problem i have with this tune is that it's waaay too long.

Plating: 4 points - there's some dicking around off-mic in the beginning, and the vox are a little papery. you've got some plosive action going on as well. on the flip side, i love the guitar mix when it switches into the second part.

Theme: 4 points - worked the title in without too much histrionics, and thematically it fit. i don't understand why you went back to that chorus sooo many times. there wasn't anything superawesome enough in the tune to justify the length.

Flavah: 5 points - a well-conceived and executed dish, but way too much of it.

total: 13 points

Spinlock I'm just not a fan of earnest, humorless piano tunes.

Plating: 3 points - no complaints on the mix. not much too it, tho. certainly nothing stands out one way or the other.

Theme: 0 points - terrible, obvious lyrics. hippie pablum.

Flavah: 1 point - in the moments when you sound a little less like the Posies or some hair metal ovation ballad band of the '90's, this is forgivable. most of the time, it is not.

total: 4 points

Wes Davis / Pipefist this is one of those tunes with some potential but the overwhelming feel of having been thrown together.

Plating: 2 points - that reverby piano drives me nuts. the guitar sounds like it's well recorded, but it's overwhelmed. i can only barely make out the drums. why are your rythmic elements buried under what's really a pretty lame melody part? it makes no sense.

Theme: 2 points - the lyrics are terrible.

Flavah: 5 points - that chorus has some snap to it, but lord the lyrics are awful, nothing i'd ever want to sing or even repeat mentally. it's cool that you take chances, vocally, even when you don't pull it off. i think if you took some of the lounge edge off of this tune - does it really need to swing? - you could sell it a little more thoroughly. this scored 5 points for the humor value of the genre choice alone.

total: 9 points

C Hack cool little short, swingin' tune

Plating: 3 points - sparse as it is, are you sure you couldn't afford any kind of second instrument line in there? this reads like a mic check.

Theme: 5 points - that heavy vocal melody and the caustic, slacker delivery make this really choice.

Flavah: 7 points - this is more of a demo than a song, but this is more of a songfight than a recording contract, so good on ya.

extra credit: cursing, 2 points

total: 15 points

Spinning Merkaba really hard to listen to, not much going on. typical songfight protogoth/industrial.

Plating: 0 points - this mix is unlistenable. the guitar is a mosquito-y buzz, everything is muffled, the vocals keep moving in and out.

Theme: 0 points - our television sets are mind control? an age of globalization? adolescent.

Flavah: 1 point - repetitive garbage, mostly. 1 point because you didn't rap.

total: 1 point

Jolly Rodger you need to throw away your entire recording process and start over.

Plating: 0 points - but you knew that. :D that kind of guitar sound is never going to turn anyone on to the song. it's all scooped and nasty, hollow and annoying. if you're going to do guitar-metal, at least do some extra tracks so it's not buried in the back of one speaker.

Theme: 0 points - "now i don't know where to go, because you're just a gray rainbow." classic zero-effort title insertion.

Flavah: 3 points - that rocking breakdown does actually rock.

total: 3 points

Hipwrecked freaky, weird, and mostly very sweet tune, completely losing all charm halfway through and not giving a shit.

Plating: 4 points - no complaints on the mix, and the arrangement bitches are probably pretty obvious. this is some whacky suite of three songs. this might actually be art - i'm not 100% convinced, but i won't argue against it, either.

Theme: 4 points - more hippie bullshit, but it comes off as self-mocking, which is fine by me. excellent sideways use of the title.

Flavah: 8 points - i wouldn't download this or listen to it again, but i can imagine a band i like doing something like this for giggles. it has the feel of ben folds' fear of pop project, for instance. i'm not sure it's a good "song," but it's a fun listen and way above the waterline for songfight.

total: 14 points

Cranial Biffida this was really done and listenable, even for a 100% by-the-numbers genre piece.

Plating: 4 points - no complaints, other than it's 4 hours long and predictable from start to finish.

Theme: 3 points - if only the title was "black, dried blood encrusted rainbow covered in broken glass and forced down my throat."

Flavah: 6 points - this is still a cool song, even if i hate it. i mean, there's a lot of talent showing through. if i weren't raised a redneck, maybe i'd let it into my heart. a little.

Signboy meh

Plating: 2 points - nothing sounds terrible, but it all sounds 100% canned.

Theme: 2 points - this has more of that "write a tune, insert the title" feel to it.

Flavah: 2 points - this is 1980's 4-track material. you gotta bring _something_ artistic to the table somewhere. in fights this size, with at least 4 or 5 people writing good songs and putting some effort into their ideas, this just feels shat out.

total - 6 points.

Syd and Me i love that freakin' kid's vocals. they have a funky kind of joyfulness to them. this song would have fit right in on the O Brother soundtrack.

Plating: 5 points - excellent mix, excellent arrangement, excellent detuned piano, excellent muted freakin' trumpet. bringin' tears to my eyes, this attention to detail in a songfight.

Theme: 4 points - everyone who played the insert-title randomly game (klownhole excepted) should go sit in a corner and cry themselves to sleep over being shown up hard by a kid.

Flavah: 9 points - well mixed, well executed, cute little song with Songfight Approved (TM) Kid Novelty Factor. this will probably win and i won't even be grumpy about it.

total: 18 points

Queen Anthony's Lace a real letters-from-the-edge kind of tune here. freaky and fucked up, right up my alley.

Plating: 3 points - i go back and forth as to whether this arrangement is charmingly amateur or overbearingly weird.

Theme: 4 points - i love the quirky, big-city intellectualism of the lyrics, like the song is stolen right out of June Miller's diary.

Flavah: 7 points: - i would have enjoyed working on this tune. it's all crazy perverted and dripping with homo sincerity.

total: 14 points

Double Helix Trainwreck yeah well, i didn't like in the prefight, but you managed to make it worse. :D

Plating: 0 points - seriously, this is terrible. you really need to listen back to shit before you submit it. learn when to quit on an idea and reload for next week. (maybe you could spend a week practicing playing in tune, for instance.)

Theme: 0 points - don't even care what the lyrics are.

Flavah: 0 points - no part of this song was even 1% compelling.

total: i'm sure you can add.

Mico Saudad freaky tune, lots of ambition

Plating: 4 points - that bass drum is waaay too loud. i'm sure this was a bitch to mix. it's a neat arrangement and good performances.

Theme: 2 points - i blame the title more than your use of it, here. i think you could have found a more artful use for it.

Flavah: 7 points - there are some reeeeeeeally nice moments in this tune. i really appreciate that you went through the trouble of getting this on tape and making it all work. if you had a live band to work with who had a sense of bringing the rock, this could shine. you have a real talent for those "wow" moments in songs. submit more.

MC Eric B well now that you've quit rapping you've moved on to being a poor man's Wesley Willis

total: at least Wesley was schizo, and had an excuse for this shit.

Eddie Lance well at least you didn't sing

Plating: 3 points - iiiiit's a midi piano. hot damn.

Theme: 0 points - no words? not a song.

Flavah: 1 point - look pal, you're no george goddamn winston. move on in your life.

total: 4 points

Klownhole still no mention of coulottes.

Plating: 3 points - you guys do a pretty good job of usually being in tune, even if the keyboard player doesn't know wtf key the song is in.

Theme: 5 points - this is exactly what this title deserves. and dan-o deserves.

Flavah: 5 points - mostly for the backing vox.

Lyricburglar sounds like someone had a couple hours to kill one afternoon. :D

Plating: 3 points - MIDI demo-quality action here.

Theme: 3 points - this was kind of a surprising set of lyrics to burgle - i don't see the attraction in them, unless it's a general anti-religious agenda, in which case i'm on board.

Flavah: 2 points - the only memorable bit here is the vocals, which are a great performance.

total: 8 points

Steakhaus Kompressor rides again?

Plating: 4 points - excellent mix and driving arrangement

Theme: 3 points - i can't really tell what's going on lyrically, and i don't care.

Flavah: 5 points - fun tune, but predictable and lost my interest after a bit. it really is a ministry rip, and, while i'm all about ripping bands off and ministry, they got boring too after a while. :D

total: 12 points

Sp0on slighty more accessable than usual spoon tune

Plating: 5 points - excellent mix, full of weird crap and tugging notes. reminds me a lot of old Souixie stuff. i usually hate your stuff, mostly because it's just overboard random, but the vocals pull it together. this song has a real good mix of random elements and repetition, as well.

Theme: 3 points - can't make out a single line, and that's OK with me.

Flavah: 5 points - not really a sing-along enjoyable pop tune kind of thing, but well recorded and executed and artful enough for me.

Mostess man, that guitar isn't mosquito-ey. :D it's ok to make it loud if it sounds good! listen to jolly's guitar. that's what i mean when i rail about terrible guitar parts. yours sounds great.

Plating: 4 points - i'm a big Dire Straits fan, and I think i get what's going on here, but it's an old and well-played genre at this point. in 1984, you would be king of people over 30 who watched Miami Vice religiously.

Theme: 3 points - i'm not in love with the lyrical theme here, but, well, it WAS a terrible title. do what ya can, i guess.

Flavah: 4 points - gotta dock it for the intro, so AOR it made me cringe and reach for the "horrible piano ballad" review template. once the song gets going, it rolls along nicely, but, overall, this feels like a genre exercise and lacks any kind of hook or pop.

halen99
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Hammond, Guitar, String Cheese
Recording Method: DIGI 001 / Protools Fostex 8 Track
Submitting as: Eddie Lance

Post by halen99 »

blue wrote: look pal, you're no george goddamn winston. move on in your life.
I've always wanted to open a little Cafe.
"I just wish all instrumentals had vocals."
Billy's Little Trip
Odie
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics

Post by Billy's Little Trip »

blue wrote: BLT: This song had a lot of potential but was also very sloppy.

Plating: 3 points - There's just too much guitar here, trying to do too much. The bass is only audible as stringy attack notes, and the clean guitar has a weird pastiche all over it. Maybe it's hard for guitarists to record something cool and then let it stay the f out of the way of the rest of the tune, but I think that's what needs to happen here. Also, maybe it's my ears, but is the vocal line adjusted well left in the mix? It sounds like the attack is panned left and then the echos are centered? Disturbing.

Use of the theme: 3 points - another good use of not actually singing the crappy title. these lyrics don't quite pop out at me, but what i can make sense of has a good flow.

Flavah: 5 points - the mix is so up-and-down, it's hard to stay with the song. there's places where it's really decent, and places where it just falls right down. the song itself isn't much beyond a decent 70's floyd clone, and that's just fine. i think the very best this could be is something i'd have really like in 1984.

Holy hell, no wonder your reviews took so long. Now this is a constructive review that a guy can utilize for future improvement........well, except for your typical drummer attitude towards too much guitar, lol. But I'll give you the same courtesy on my reply.

Plating: I did in fact layer tremolo notes over the tremolo chords on the verses because I felt they were lacking guitar as I was doing the final mix. I think I need to just stick with my original ideas. I have a terrible habit of over doing things. As far as the vocal panning, I always center my lead vocals and pan the back ups. I'll have to go back and listen, maybe I was drunk.

Use of the theme: Yeah, I agree, it's not poppy. I really wanted the lyrics to have depth, which is subjective of course. Not that a guy can't write with depth and make it pop, but I think songs lose their meaning if they are cheapened by 10 cent emotion.

Flavah: I trust your opinion about 80%, which is very high on my "I don't trust anyone" scale. So I'd like to hear more of what places you felt are really decent, and places where it just falls right down, if you don't mind. I'd like to know where to stop wasting my time, and where to spend more.