SongWar: The Extra-long Fight (The Jig (Is Up))

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

"the jig is up, the news is out, they finally found me...."
Hi!
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

hey, this sounds like fun. if anybody out there in songfightland is looking for someone to collaborate with (preferably someone who wants to write some lyrics, because that's my least favourite part of songwriting) please contact me!!!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

tviyh wrote:hey, this sounds like fun. if anybody out there in songfightland is looking for someone to collaborate with (preferably someone who wants to write some lyrics, because that's my least favourite part of songwriting) please contact me!!!
The Voice Inside Your Caravan?

I'd like to think I can bring:
1. words
2. voice
3. bass
4. guitar

in decreasing order of usefulness
- so I'm game to have a go

I'll PM you if I have any ideas (none yet)
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

ok my song is done.

voice i will write lyrics for you if you want (the only thing I can do)
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

OK, my Depp Throat has insisted I correct the title. This is somehow important to him, so the title has officially changed to

<font color=blue size=4>The Jig (Is Up)</font>
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Damn. Now I gotta start all over again.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

I am open for collaboration, but I won't be available after the 20th of the month.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Denyer wrote:voice i will write lyrics for you if you want (the only thing I can do)
if you send me something i will try to use it.

Caravan Ray (and anybody else out there)...
i probably should have specified this before, but here is *my* list of decending usefulness/skill:

1.bass
2.vocals
3.keyboards
4.miscellaneous percussion
5.guitar
99.crappy keyboard-based drums
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

i can provide raps if anyone needs some.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

tviyh wrote: Caravan Ray (and anybody else out there)...
i probably should have specified this before, but here is *my* list of decending usefulness/skill:

1.bass
Cool - I'll do the rhythm bass, you can do the lead bass.
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

Good god - are we a nation of bass players?
What poor pathetic tools...

1. Bass
2. Drum / electronic programming
3. Guitar
4. Vocals
5. Sample manipulations
6. Keys and organs (programmed)

I am pretty good about collaborations.
E-makil me anything you've got (in fact I dare you to send your worst)
and I will work with you and get something back really quickly.
Unless of course I hate it, which might mean I tell you to find someone else
right away. :)
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Reminder, the deadline is approaching. It's January 31.

BUT WAIT!! Keeping with true SideFight tradition, THE DEADLINE IS EXTENDED! IT IS NOW FEBRAURY 7
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
LMNOP
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by LMNOP »

Jim of Seattle wrote:THE DEADLINE IS EXTENDED! IT IS NOW FEBRAURY 7
You just might make me enter this yet. I haven't had a day off since January 2, but I've got a whole song in my head, composed whilst commuting. Didn't figure on having adequate time to record, though. Now I either have to do it or come up with more excuses.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Thanks to the powers that be for the deadline extension. Maybe, just maybe redcar can get its collective ass in gear to do something with this! (fingers crossed....)

:!:
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

..... once I finish soupin' up the new and improved supersonicboom station, I'll be down like free beer at a frat party to do a redcar tune........
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Moi Aussie.

...so, like are we gonna actually pm each other about this, or just post our intentions on the board.... cause like, life isn't about commitments, it's about the actual choices we make. I mean, are we gonna take advantage of the long fight to actually put time into it ... or do what we always do and scramble on the SUNDAY before??

I vote scramble, but I like eggs.

Also. I was totally stoked on this idea until I saw the shit title. (Sorry JOS, but this title does nothing for me, as I neither own a bodrain (nor can spell it) or a viola. Or bag pipes. I do own a piece of plywood that I was considering pounding with a hammer, but somehow I don't think songfight is ready for that type or artistry... so .... word to the Redcar.

One of you guys better write the lyrics!!!
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

No need to apologize. I didn't come up with the title. But to answer your other question, the long fight is an experiment. Yet to be seen whether the fight sounds any different from the regular fights.

Entrants can PM me with a link to their song. I'll post a poll here for voting, with all the links. Plus I'll publish a playlist file.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Jim of Seattle wrote:Keeping with true SideFight tradition, THE DEADLINE IS EXTENDED! IT IS NOW FEBRAURY 7
oh, awesome. i've been hella busy and not home lately, and totally neglected to pay attention to my PM's... now i've got plenty of time to get my shit together...
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

There's no way, I think, that Redcar is gonna get this one done. Might have to pass on it. THC just had a baby (well his wife did), I've been exploring the world of foley art as well as overhauling my system and making sure that shit runs proper, and Leaf, well, Leaf I guess has been busy with stuff out west at the fishery and kids and stuff (haven't been in contact due to stuff happening on my end).

Jim, I'll take a look at the midi stuff, but I've only got the day to complete it. So maybe there might be an extension on this extra long war. Sorry Jim if it doesn't fly.

;p
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

yeah I'm not in Toney... the jig IS up.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

DEADLINE EXTENSION #2

Due to the amusing lack of entries (grand total of ONE (very good) entry), I'm extending the deadline to

<font color=blue size=4>FEBRUARY 21</font>

Extra kudos to LMNOP, the only person who submitted for this fight on time!

I guess the conclusion is, give people extra time, and nothing happens. Interesting...

Anyway, here is LMNOP's entry. After the 21st I'll post a poll, because by then everyone will have submitted and there will be songs aplenty.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

LMNOP sucks Cheetos until they are dry and lifeless. Oops, no the link you posted JOS didn't work. Please post it again so I can gain some insight on my competion.

Nevermind.....the link works. I'll listen and see if he still sucks Cheetos until they are dry. Believe me, I've seen it before.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB