Song Fight Live, 2007 - August 16-18 - Atlanta, GA USA

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

wooooowoooooo I've been waiting for that picture for like 2 weeks
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jefff »

I was about to get my second wind.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Wages wrote:
Sheail wrote:At last I'm home! People are driving on the left, they're pronouncing monty python correctly, everything is right with the world again.
As it turned out most of the photos I took were pretty awful but I have posted a few on my Facebook page. Search for Michael Sheail and you'll find it.
There's a different way to pronounce Monty Python!?
Yes - and like with most things - Americans do it wrong. Americans always over emphisise the second syllable of "python" and say "pie-THON", which is of course, completely stupid. Like leaving the 'u' out of 'colour' and invading Iraq.

Repeat after me:
...Siphon the python should rhyme with hyphen.

The last vowel sound in those 3 words should be the little upside-down 'e' from the International Phonetic Alphabet.

...and another thing, "emu" is pronounced ee-myou. Not ee-moo. That really pisses me off.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Well, I've never pronounced it pie-THON. But then again, I'm from the part of the country that most people think talks funny. Pahk the cah in Hahvid yahd, and all that.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Wages wrote:
Sheail wrote:At last I'm home! People are driving on the left, they're pronouncing monty python correctly, everything is right with the world again.
As it turned out most of the photos I took were pretty awful but I have posted a few on my Facebook page. Search for Michael Sheail and you'll find it.
There's a different way to pronounce Monty Python!?
Yes - and like with most things - Americans do it wrong. Americans always over emphisise the second syllable of "python" and say "pie-THON", which is of course, completely stupid. Like leaving the 'u' out of 'colour' and invading Iraq.

Repeat after me:
...Siphon the python should rhyme with hyphen.

The last vowel sound in those 3 words should be the little upside-down 'e' from the International Phonetic Alphabet.

...and another thing, "emu" is pronounced ee-myou. Not ee-moo. That really pisses me off.
Hmm...I think I get these right. How's this:
http://www.philwages.com/music/howtopro ... andEmu.mp3

BTW I actually know people that sound like this, though I am (trying to) imitate Billy Bob Thornton from Sling Blade. :)

I like the "u" in colour, but my spell check underlines it in red, so it must be wrong. Stupid founders of our language, thinking they know everything. You should be ashamed!

People also tell me it is "OK" not "okay", but I like the later and this is the semblance of a free country, so I'll spell it my way until the Fed breaks into my house under the Un-Patriotic Act and tells me otherwise... oh wait, there's a knock at the door... just a sec...

I wrote a bunch of stuff to go here, but then I decided to move it to the Daily Roll Call as this isn't the appropriate thread. :)
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Everyone who has pics on Flickr, please join the Song Fight flickr group.

And make me a contact. :)

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I've never heard anybody call it "pie-THON", but I'm from roughly the same part of the country as Paco, and other than New England I've only lived in the Midwest (Ohio) and California. Maybe it's just people from the South who say it like that?
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

I have heard it pronounced two different ways. The most common here is PIE-thon, not pie-THON. The other one is PITH-on. With the emphasis as in HARD-on.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
jeff robertson
Panama
Instruments: guitar, bass, programming
Recording Method: Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: FLVXXVM FLORVM, Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders

Post by jeff robertson »

Spud wrote:The other one is PITH-on.
I'd rather be PITH-off than PITH-on.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Spud wrote:I have heard it pronounced two different ways. The most common here is PIE-thon, not pie-THON. The other one is PITH-on. With the emphasis as in HARD-on.
It's that second syllable I have trouble with. Wrong sound. Too much emphisis. Not 'THON'. More PYTH'n. I used to be licensed by the Qld government to catch them - I think the authority of that permit also gave me the right to be a prononciation Nazi.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Caravan Ray wrote: The last vowel sound in those 3 words should be the little upside-down 'e' from the International Phonetic Alphabet.
The schwa.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

jb wrote: On another note, I've just taken a preliminary listen to the recordings from last night and I have to say they sounds really good. There's some feedback on them though, so I wonder--- does anyone know how to get rid of feedback via some fance mechanism in Cubase?
Hey jb, how goes progress on the recordings? Did you have any success in removing the feedback? Looking forward to hearing more of them...
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

and since this got bumped...lemme remind JB that I never did get his addressed PM'd to my inbox. I still got this guitar stand.