UK Song Fight Live 2005

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro on a clapped out Mac, or Studio One on PC
Submitting as: Kamakura
Pronouns: he/him/idiot

UK Song Fight Live 2005

Post by Kamakura »

I was thinking it was about time we all got our heads together to plan the 2nd UK live event.
So who is up for it?
When do we all think it should take place? Though we could wait for the summer I think there's nothing better to rid yourself of the winter blues than playing a fun gig.
Who is going to take the reins? It says somewhere in the Song Fight articles of association (vol 1 para 13?) that the winner of the last live event is in charge, so that would be you J$...
As the first one went so well should we up the ante and play in a proper venue, or at least a venue where we can get more people?
We should also record good audio from the desk. This means that we either need to get a dedicated sound engineer involved, or one of us take this on. It also means we need a proper sound check before we play.

I'm in btw
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Oh god, I haven't finished editing the dvd footage of the last one!

Yeah, I'd love to do it again.

Yeah, I will organise it if I have to. But if someone else thinks they can do better, happy to step down and just turn up.

Yeah, I would love a better venue, one that was open to everyone. My friend who came to the gig said he knew a place with a stage in Elephant & Castle. I can chase that up.

My experience from before was that we should do it in the evening. Somewhere easy to get to. That put off a lot of my friends.

Mr B & I are putting aside a weekend in December to get the footage into DVD format, using his and Kapitano's footage, so I'll make sure there's one copy for everyone who attended.

J$
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

If you did it in London...some of American's would consider going. Thats how snobbish we are.
Kamakura
Panama

Post by Kamakura »

Hoblit wrote:If you did it in London...some of American's would consider going. Thats how snobbish we are.
We played in London last time and no one came...
It goes without saying you are all welcome.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Kamakura wrote:We played in London last time and no one came...
well the last time, there wasn't this much advance planning.
for example: when i found out about the london thing, i found out a round-trip ticket for myself would have cost me about $1700. (compared to about $700 for TWO round-trips plus three nights of hotel accomodations for two, when i went to austin). if we had several months' notice, maybe you *could* expect some of us yanquis to be there?
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

tviyh wrote:
Kamakura wrote:We played in London last time and no one came...
well the last time, there wasn't this much advance planning.
if we had several months' notice, maybe you *could* expect some of us yanquis to be there?
There was several months' notice - 3 to be precise. Actually I was quite glad that the first one was smallish. We were feeling our way, and huge numbers would have been another concern to fry my brain. Anyhoo, next one we can properly market if that's what people are wanting ...

I guess my natural reaction would be late February / early march. Six months on from the last one and allows no-money-after-christmas syndrome to pass. I basically can't do january (weekends) at all.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

if you did it the weekend of february 19-20, i might be able to come. my wife and i were just talking about getting away that weekend, although we were thinking someplace warmer to be honest. :)
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Well we'd love to have you over, and Cashpoint Towers offer a fine double guest bedroom with ensuite (which Kapitano can attest to the quality of) but I fully understand London in february < beach holiday somewhere else :)

j$
Kamakura
Panama

Post by Kamakura »

I'd go as far as to say London in February = :P

I've always dreamt my family owns a conglomerate which has (amongst others) an Airline, a Studio complex in the Bahamas that mirrors the one I have on the family estate 'somewhere' in England. Oh and a lot of fast cars and stunning but fortunately loose secretaries.

Feel free to visit my dream anytime.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Kamakura wrote:I'd go as far as to say London in February = :P

I've always dreamt my family owns a conglomerate which has (amongst others) an Airline, a Studio complex in the Bahamas that mirrors the one I have on the family estate 'somewhere' in England. Oh and a lot of fast cars and stunning but fortunately loose secretaries.

Feel free to visit my dream anytime.
I've been. It's OK but you wouldn't want to live there :)

OK, based on general wibblings, who of the UK contingent fancies trying to do another gig on Saturday Feb 19th 2005? Or is this too soon? All other details open at this stage.

UK contingent (to my knowledge, at this time) = j$, Kapitano, Kamakura, Pompeii, Motherfunker, Bell Green, The Likely Lads, The 'Over, Pompeii (and obscurity, but he's only good for sniping in the background :) Did I miss anyone?

j$
Bell Green
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Bell Green »

Felt like I missed out on the last one so may be up for another one. Haven't played live in donkeys years mind.
so . . . when was the last time you backed up?
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

> Saturday Feb 19th 2005

Can't we make it <i>Sunday</i> Feb 19th 2005? No? Okay, put me down for the Saturday.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Kapitano wrote:> Saturday Feb 19th 2005

Can't we make it <i>Sunday</i> Feb 19th 2005? No? Okay, put me down for the Saturday.
You can make it any day you like over in Kapitano-world, but according to my big officious faux-leatherbound diary, Feb 19th, 2005 is a Saturday ...

You know the worst thing about my office diary is that it doesn't have stupid holidays from around the world on it ...

j$
Kamakura
Panama

Post by Kamakura »

Johnny,
If you are going to visit my dream at least have the courtesy of signing the guest book. And please return the Aston.

As to the Saturday I'm in.

This time it would be good if we can get help from others if we need it. I'd like to utilise a drumming person, a bassist and a guitarist if possible.

I can offer my services as a drummer, and/or backing vocals if anyone wants.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

Mysteryday the 19th is a bad choice because there are no premier league games that weekend- I think it's an FA cup thing. I'm not gonna fly all the way over there if I can't also go see an Arsenal match.

On the other hand, airfare to London is cheaper than it was to Austin this summer, so there is some small amount of temptation...
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Ah well it's FA Cup (hazarding a guessd at 5th round - i'd be very surprised if Arsenal weren't still in it - whether it would be home or away is impossible to say obviously)

Kamkura - the Aston is back. That dent in the side was there when I borrowed it, honestly.

I too want to put together a live band this time. I hope I can persuade Mr Balham to learn a few three-chord clusters, i can 'do' the bass, so I just need a tub-thumper. And a keyboard player, though we can probably go without... I am also up for bass playing for just about anyone - but remembering my songs and the Masters of Grip songs last time was nearly the limit of my mental capacity, then it will be first-come first served ...

j$
Kamakura
Panama

Post by Kamakura »

j$ wrote:Kamkura - the Aston is back. That dent in the side was there when I borrowed it, honestly.
Not my Aston, but I'll add it to the collection
j$ wrote:I just need a tub-thumper.
If you can't find one locally I'll tub thump for you.

I find it hard, hard I tell you, to believe that it's cheaper to fly to the UK than it is to fly to Texas. However if this is the case maybe a few more of our US bretheren might be tempted to cross the pond?
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

Kamakura wrote:I find it hard, hard I tell you, to believe that it's cheaper to fly to the UK than it is to fly to Texas. However if this is the case maybe a few more of our US bretheren might be tempted to cross the pond?
Actually, for the weekend in question, BOS-LHR and BOS-AUS are about the same price right now. (For the one schedule that I checked.) Also it is probably a nicer trip to go to London because there is no sixty-eight hour layover in Houston. Seriously: the two trips are of roughly the same duration even though the overseas one is twice the mileage.

The expensivest ticket of all is probably for the Cup fixtures. :P Also Champions League knockout stage starts on the 22nd, but there's no telling what country you'd have to go to to see your favorite team.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

kamakura wrote:
j$ wrote:I just need a tub-thumper.
If you can't find one locally I'll tub thump for you.
Gabba Gabba, I accept you, I accept you, one of us!

That would be great. having heard your tub-thumbing abilities I would more than happily accept your kind offer.

J$
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

j$ wrote:Well we'd love to have you over, and Cashpoint Towers offer a fine double guest bedroom with ensuite (which Kapitano can attest to the quality of) but I fully understand London in february < beach holiday somewhere else :)

j$
I mentioned it to my wife and she yelled at me. I persisted, trepidatiously. She told me I'd be going myself. So, I think I'll have to pass on February. But sometime, for sure.
Kamakura
Panama

Post by Kamakura »

Your wife is very wise!
I live here and am probably jaded, but after the generally bleak winters (which admitedly some people love - fools) England only truly begins to become 'England' at the end of March, beginning of April.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

ken and i were talking about this last night and we both are pretty serious about possibly coming out for something like this should it happen in the late spring/early summer of 2005. definitely possible.
Hi!