UK Song Fight Live 2005

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

SFUK1 had five bands and lasted 3 hours. SFUK2 looks like it might last a day, with this level of interest.

How many bands played at the Austin gig?
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

without bothering to actually check, i think the total number was something like 21 (taking into account a couple cancellations and a no-show).

five hours each day for two days, including about two hours on day two for the live fight.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

OK, I am so up for doing this again.

i think February 19th-20th isn't particularly floating people's boats, and I have December (christmas) and January (work and oh, my christ, my birthday) commitments that might preclude my full attention to organising - so what about March? The weather is nicer, it gives me a bit more time to find a venue, and might give American homies more time to organise flights etc If people really want to do it in february, we can, but I think i can put together a shinier event in the Spring proper.

Opinons? Where is my cohort (and current favourite straight bloke) Mr Balham when we need him? :)

j$
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, ukulele and drums
Recording Method: Reaper, Guitar Rig LE, Edirol FA-66
Submitting as: Andy Balham, Bobby Davros, The Masters of Grip, MC Heapey

Post by Andy Balham »

j$ wrote:OK, I am so up for doing this again.
So am I, I even found myself missing the buzz of rehearsals last week.
j$ wrote:Where is my cohort Mr Balham when we need him?
I'm here, just about recovered from falling of a month on the wagon. Why did I drink the Broadside? Why? Why?

As for the SFL 2005, I don't have any strong preference date-wise, though I think it would be rather spiffing if we could host the first International SongFight. As mentioned with regards to the previous one, I can put up a few people to keep the costs down for itinerent SFs.

On the music front I'd be more than happy to pimp my rhythm guitar services, though how many songs I can remember may be a limiting factor.

Andy
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
Sheail
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitars, keys
Submitting as: Idle Susan, Sheail, Mother Funker
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Sheail »

Where are photos from the last event! I look at the SongFight! gallery page each week, eagerly anticipating some great pictures to print out and stick around my desk to impress female colleagues with, yet I am constantly disappointed. I know this is not strictly concerned with SongFight 2005 but I thought it was more likely get noticed in this particular thread.

That is all.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

I posted the best of what I had in the original prep thread. The DVD is still in the pipeline - a high-powered SFUK Committee meeting is taking place this very night - I will see if I can push for more piccies. I will make sure they are pictures of me so as to impress your female colleagues :)

j$
gduncan
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Sell Crazy

Post by gduncan »

You can count The Likely Lads in and March is cool with me.

Gareth.
A_Likely_Mike
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by A_Likely_Mike »

gduncan wrote:You can count The Likely Lads in and March is cool with me.

Gareth.
Indeed. We have a drummer now too!

M
gduncan
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Sell Crazy

Post by gduncan »

A_Likely_Mike wrote:

M
The only things left to find are a better band name and some decent songs :lol:.

Gareth.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

gduncan wrote:
A_Likely_Mike wrote:

M
The only things left to find are a better band name and some decent songs :lol:.

Gareth.
I got no problem with your songs - but I agree about the band name
A_Likely_Mike
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by A_Likely_Mike »

I'll still be sorry to see it go in a way. Like badly fitting shoes it has become a source of comfort over time...
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Andy Balham »

Just thought I'd bring this to the top again to mention that I've managed to cram all the performances from the 2004 gig onto one jam-packed DVD. If anyone wants one then, numbers within reason, I'll burn off a copy, print the inserts and post it fully cased-up to you. Thanks to Kapitano for providing the footage I finally managed to get to DVD.

Look forward to a bigger and better one in 2005!
"Some may say I couldn't sing, but none may say I didn't sing" - Florence Foster Jenkins
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Oh lovely. Count me in, Mr B. And Songfighter General and keen archivist Spud showed an interest a few moons back.

j$
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

Yes please Andy. Count me in!
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

I'm with jack shite and co. - if the date was set to perhaps April, May, June, or July for this then I might be able to attend - I've been wanting to go back to London visit my old stomping grounds (Kingston-u-T in tha hizza!).

Please also read my post in the Minnesota songfight about creating a web page and a poster for your event (the one you guys created for your last songfight was spectacular) that I can link to from the songfight events page I am creating. This request applies to you guys as well...
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

j$ wrote:Songfighter General and keen archivist Spud showed an interest a few moons back.
...as did i!
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Andy Balham »

I shall order some blank DVDs and cases today and get the production line up and running. PM me with delivery details, I'll only worry about cost if and when it gets silly.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Right then, two things.

1. SONGFIGHT UK DVDS ARE AVAILABLE In fact I hold one in my hand as I type. Looks damn fine. Do you want one? Have you PMed mailing address to either Andy Balham or myself?

For the time being, depending on demand, we will send one (1) copy to anyone who asks for it, FREE OF CHARGE. No cost to you, not even postage. They are regionless (right, Andy?) so they will play on American DVDs just as well as British ones. Just let us know, first come, first served, until we run out. 28 songs, just under 2 hours of British RAWK, and some 'classic' compering by me.

2. SONGFIGHT UK LIVE 2005 After a high-powered down the pub brainstorming session last night, this will definitely be taking place. We've decided to move it back to mid-April, so that a) Americans are more likely to come and b) to give me time to actually do something about booking a venue. More information will follow.

Too much bold ....

j$
Andy Balham
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Andy Balham »

j$ wrote:They are regionless (right, Andy?)
As far as I know, but I guess we better get some lucky person from across the pond to do some testing for us. Please form an orderly queue...
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

A public thank you

Post by Kamakura »

YAY!
Just a wee bit of public praise for Andy Balham's weeks of slaving over a hot computer and his production of the 2004 SF live DVD.
It arrived this morning.
Ta mate.
A_Likely_Mike
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by A_Likely_Mike »

we're still on for this...
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

As are the Songfight UK steering Committee - we have a possible venue in Elephant & Castle (zone 1 travel fans) but if anyone else has suggestions feel free to lob in. Balham and I are meeting this weekend so hopefully we can hammer out some more organisational stuff then ...

j$