Heroes

Blab about the Boob Tube.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Heroes

Post by Leaf »

Why is there not a heroes thread? HELLO?

That was an excellent first season. I had this feeling a few episodes ago that Hiro was really HIS hero from his childhood stories...guess we'll find out.

Why isn't there a heroes thread?

I liked how the first season came of as a complete story, no cliff hanger bullshit. I wonder if they can top themselves next year?
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

That was a crazy ending. Crazy.

But I'm so glad that I've dropped Lost and all it's convoluted madness and went over to watching Heroes. A complete story. So refreshing.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Awesome show. We watched the end last night (not live, but right after) :)
I was wondering how they were going to end that... it makes sense.
The new season with the spinoff show could be interesting.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Edge of LA
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Edge of LA »

I didn't think the 1st season would just END. I liked the guy Sylar when he played Tori Spelling's gay Persian best friend on So NoTORIous.

I'm looking forward to next season. I hope there won't be any "hatches" LOL
Maaah SPOON is TOO BIG! ----

http://moxieprophets.com
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

I saw a guy in downtown Austin who looked just like Sylar. His drunk ass friend asked me if I had any weed. I asked him if he ever watched Heroes, and he was like, "DON'T SAY IT."
Am I rockin' hard, or hardly rockin'?
Gemini6Ice
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Photoshop and Illustrator

Re: Heroes

Post by Gemini6Ice »

Leaf wrote:Why is there not a heroes thread? HELLO?

That was an excellent first season. I had this feeling a few episodes ago that Hiro was really HIS hero from his childhood stories...guess we'll find out.

I liked how the first season came of as a complete story, no cliff hanger bullshit. I wonder if they can top themselves next year?
The disappearance of a certain somebody without any of the characters noticing the disappearance of said body really struck me as a cliffhanger/plothole
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

dunno, but i think they should move on to new villain(s) to keep it fresh.
one all-powerful bad guy doesn't make for a good series, i think. good season, though.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Gemini6Ice
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Gemini6Ice »

HeuristicsInc wrote:dunno, but i think they should move on to new villain(s) to keep it fresh.
one all-powerful bad guy doesn't make for a good series, i think. good season, though.
-bill
Nor does one all-powerful good-guy. They really need to intorudce some natural limitations to Peter's powers. Why would his mutation/evolution allow him to be capable of so much more. Otherwise, Sylar is just an inferior version of Peter (in that he must physically open up people's brains to learn powers).

I thinka good limitation would to make Peter's powers like batteries, and he must return to the presence of other heroes to recharge.

I also hope they finally EXPLAIN the Niki/Jessica thing. If it were simply split personality, the mirror thing wouldn't be happening. Was her sister somehow a psychic that managed to embed her consciousness into Niki before dying?
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Gemini6Ice wrote: Nor does one all-powerful good-guy. They really need to intorudce some natural limitations to Peter's powers. Why would his mutation/evolution allow him to be capable of so much more. Otherwise, Sylar is just an inferior version of Peter (in that he must physically open up people's brains to learn powers).
Yeah, good point. Peter, up until now, has been limiting himself through his own hangups and whatnot, but that seems to be changing. Kinda like in Bewitched, where Sam seems to be able to do basically anything she wants with magic, so they introduced the husband not wanting her to do magic to limit it and bring in interesting conflicts. Peter hasn't really shown any other limitations besides his hangups/not understanding his powers (yet), right?
-bill
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
Gemini6Ice wrote: Nor does one all-powerful good-guy. They really need to intorudce some natural limitations to Peter's powers. Why would his mutation/evolution allow him to be capable of so much more. Otherwise, Sylar is just an inferior version of Peter (in that he must physically open up people's brains to learn powers).
Yeah, good point. Peter, up until now, has been limiting himself through his own hangups and whatnot, but that seems to be changing. Kinda like in Bewitched, where Sam seems to be able to do basically anything she wants with magic, so they introduced the husband not wanting her to do magic to limit it and bring in interesting conflicts. Peter hasn't really shown any other limitations besides his hangups/not understanding his powers (yet), right?
-bill
prediction: he will begin using his powers properly when he turns heel. the only reason good guys are built up this strong is so the other good guys can eventually take them down.
Niveous wrote:It's a song about your dick and there's just not enough material to satisfy.
bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Post by bortwein »

Leaf wrote:Why is there not a heroes thread? HELLO?

I thought we were going to find out that Hiro's Dad is his hero from childhood stories...

This show can not come back on TV Fast enough for me.
b o r t w e i n...it rhymes with Design. / bortwein Music SongFight! Archive
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

We went to see Simpsons today (the movie) and they showed a preview of Heroes for the next season... I have to admit Sylar is in it.
-bill
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Gawd, I watched the "unaired pilot" finally yesterday. UMMMMMM SPOLIERS SPOLIERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

What the hell was that guy thinking where he thought a whole storyline about Muslim terrorists would be a good idea? Seriously, I just watched the whole thing going... "What are you retarded? How would any network executives approve this?" And the whole thing about Sylar already knowing how to access his powers and being some kind of hyper-religious guilt-freak was another total misstep. He was tooo evil, and you can't get behind someone that evil. About the only thing that would have been cool was if Isaac cut off his hand. Cool, but totally inconsequential. I usually like to see a director's unedited vision, but this was unfocused and unthoughtful.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I watched the first season of this recently and really enjoyed it a lot. I was disappointed by season two, though. I thought the writing wasn't very good, and half the new characters weren't that interesting. And it probably didn't help that they had to cut the season short. I think it would have been more effective to bring Sylar back after not mentioning him for a long time, rather than keeping him in the show pretty much continuously. I also thought that the virus and Adam Monroe character didn't tie everything together this season as well as the explosion in NYC and Mr. Linderman did in the first season. Anyway, hopefully season 3 will be better...
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Lunkhead wrote:I watched the first season of this recently and really enjoyed it a lot. I was disappointed by season two, though. I thought the writing wasn't very good, and half the new characters weren't that interesting. And it probably didn't help that they had to cut the season short. I think it would have been more effective to bring Sylar back after not mentioning him for a long time, rather than keeping him in the show pretty much continuously. I also thought that the virus and Adam Monroe character didn't tie everything together this season as well as the explosion in NYC and Mr. Linderman did in the first season. Anyway, hopefully season 3 will be better...
SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERS

I read an interview with Tim Kring where he basically admits that every single thing that people hated about season 2 was something that he wanted to do, but shouldn't've. Like, he admitted that Maya and her brother were boring, that Sylar wasn't doing anything, that Hiro was in the past about 3 eps too long, that the plague subplot should've been introduced from the first ep, that Claire's boyfriend was an unlikable douche, etc etc etc. I think he should pull a Weezer and ask fans of the show how to write because that half-season sucked ass, and the finale was awful.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I'd heard about that interview, too. They did have a lot to live up to. And I just watched the finale last night, and yeah, it was a let down. Worst dialogue of the whole series: "I'm back!" Ow.
Gemini6Ice
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Gemini6Ice »

I hate hate hate Suresh so much. "Oh, Sylar is threatening to kill me, so I'll give him the blood he wants so he won't kill me... even though he will definitely kill me once he gets his powers back."

As the show has gone on, the characters have become more and more one-dimensional. And more and more loose threads are simply ignored. If Nikki is killed off, we never find out about the back-tttoo thing. I think they ret-conned Jessica into being just MPD, even though she was originally supposed to be more. And they never explained the "oh i've been sifnul god god god" crazy apartment found at the beginning of season 1.

Dexter has yet to disappoint me. I'm close to giving up on Heroes.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Season 3 premieres tonight at 9:00 EST.

If I had to judge solely on plot points that have been leaked to TV Guide, this is going to be embarrassing.

SPOILERS (highlight to read):
So apparently Suresh gets a superpower somehow, and has a "steamy love affair" with Maya. Meanwhile, Peter turns heel.

And that's just the parts they were willing to reveal beforehand. See? Just embarrassing.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

That wasn't so embarrassing.

Wow, that was like reading 10 comic books at once.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Somebody should make a drinking game where you drink every time someone comes back from the dead or back from the future in those first two episodes. Either this season is going to be cool or full of more shark-jumping.

SPOILERS:

They spent the entire first season keeping Sylar from getting Claire's power, and now they gave it to him in the first episode? Suresh gives himself a superpower? Linderman is back? Nicki is back with a new power? They spent the whole second season with that bald guy as sort of the main "villain" and then they kill him off right away? Sylar's going to be working for Mrs. Petrelli with Noah? Etc. etc. I guess those are interesting developments but I don't necessarily feel like they make much sense.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Mohinder: "My senses are heightened. I'm stronger, faster, more agile. I have boundless energy. I'm a new man!"

That whole scene reminded me of the Cronenberg version of The Fly. Very unnerving.

Adding to the show's universe the ability to give powers to non-powered individuals is really playing with fire, and I'm definitely skeptical about Mohinder's motivation towards it. He never seemed to care much before about not having powers.

Hey, though, I've been dying to find out what Mama Petrelli's power is. That was a welcome reveal.

What's up with Nikki, though?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

SPOILERS

I didn't mind Sylar getting Claire's powers. It made sense that if he got his abilities back, she would be the first person he would go after. And she was unaware of him being alive so he would catch her by surprise. I think that worked well. Plus "Claire, that's disgusting" was the line of the night.

Mohinder getting powers was hokey. So he made this giant breakthrough in a matter of hours? Having this serum that can make powers is a good plot device BUT it was done poorly. Plus, the story reaks of The Fly.

Linderman back is odd. But finding a way to bring back Malcolm McDowell is a big plus.

Nicki, the Ice Queen, is way too confusing. I wish they would just take her off the show completely. And what happened to the whole blown up building in NOLA saving Monica and Micah thing? Y'know what, scratch that. I don't care. Erase the whole family from the continuity.

Killing Bob, I didn't mind at all. It allows Elle's character to move on from being a lackey to something more.

The foursome of prisoners could be interesting. Plus it's more work for another member of the Veronica Mars cast (Francis Capra).

Two Peters is one too many. As much as I love the X-men, this whole Days of Future Past thing isn't working for me.

Parkman in Africa is terrible.

Evil Ando is a little intriguing. Daphne Millbrook seems like she'll be interesting as well but the way they introduced her was terrible. And she just happens to have the Mona Lisa?

Sylar, a Petrelli. WTF! Is that the Fonz I see lining up at the ramp?

The 2 hour premiere was a C with me. There is potential for better things but there is also potential for this to go downhill fast.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo