Bender's Big Score

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Bender's Big Score

Post by JonPorobil »

The Futurama Movie finally came out yesterday!

I really hate it when you're watching a movie, or are about to watch a movie, and some idiot goes "It was good, but I totally called the ending about ten minutes in." Nonetheless...

It was good, but I totally called the ending about ten minutes in.

Oh well. For the most part, it was good old-fashioned future fun. The film was weakest in its moments of obvious fan-service, such as the quick zoom-out to reveal, for about three seconds, their version of "God," who says "Hmm?", activates [spoiler redacted], and then vanishes from the script.

You really have to avoid thinking too hard about some of the "paradoxes" (which the movie acknowledges and tries to quash from within the plot, not always successfully), but remember: it's a cartoon. A cartoon with an enormous amount of character and mythos behind it for such a short run, but a cartoon nonetheless. It's all for the giggles. A-
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

Hooray for the return of Futurama! I enjoyed the movie.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

I dug it. I'm so excited about that there's three more comin'. Good, funny movie.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Bender's Big Score

Post by Adam! »

Watched it. Loved it. Bought it.
Generic wrote:The film was weakest in its moments of obvious fan-service, such as the quick zoom-out to reveal, for about three seconds, their version of "God,"
Those moments are where I think it's strongest. Like, they put in a lot of jokes/references for fans (like Fry's dog, Fry's ex-girlfriend, lots of refbacks to the first episode) but they did it in such away that it wouldn't alienate newcomers, mostly by keeping them short and funny in a fairly universal way. After The Simpsons Movie where they barely used any of the minor charecters at all, I was glad to see them make an appearance. As for the God thing, in the commentary David X. Cohen mentioned that they had this whole idea about [spoiler] being a program that runs on the God computer, but instead of putting all that exposition in they just showed the 3 second shot you mentioned. Economy.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

There are times when I've been in the writer's room, and come up with some great idea that was destined to be cut for reasons of economy, and the temptation can be huge to just leave something of this great idea, lest all that hard work go to waste, but in this case, I know I'd have been fully satisfied if they'd neve offered any explanation at all as to why that thing worked—it just worked.

Oh well. Overall, it was a fine experience, and I'm looking forward to watching it again once Winter Break rolls around.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages