Other music books - that aren't bios

Because some of us can read.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Other music books - that aren't bios

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Bios are well and good. I also love reading other books about music in general. Here are some of my favorites. What are some others you'd recommend? I'm looking forward to Songbook by Nick Hornby, a collection of essays on his 30 favorite songs.

Da Capo Best Music Writing 200_ (any year) - Great collections of fascinating stories about music from various periodicals

The Recording Angel - A fascinating book about how recording has changed how we listen to music
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: Other music books - that aren't bios

Post by Caravan Ray »

Jim of Seattle wrote:I'm looking forward to Songbook by Nick Hornby, a collection of essays on his 30 favorite songs.
I actually found Songbook to be a bit of a wank. However, Hornby's High Fidelity is a great read for anyone with a passing interest in contemporary music (ie. most people here, I'm guessing)
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Yeah, I saw Songbook on a shelf just the other day, and I thought it was a novel, so I started thumbing through it. When I saw what it was, I thought it was the most pretentious project any author could have undertaken. "These are 30 songs I think are great, and what they mean to me." I suppose his fans care, but it's awfully presumtuous of him.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i always find it interesting to see what kind of songs other musicians enjoy, and why. i think it gives a unique perspective into how they think as a musician and sometimes gives additional insight into music that i hadn't seen before. i don't see anything pretentious or presumptuous about it at all.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

tviyh wrote:i always find it interesting to see what kind of songs other musicians enjoy, and why. i think it gives a unique perspective into how they think as a musician and sometimes gives additional insight into music that i hadn't seen before. i don't see anything pretentious or presumptuous about it at all.
Well, it's descriptions along the vein of "I was seventeen when I first heard this song, and I knew it was great." The bits I saw were dull and challenged me to care.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

It sounds interesting and non-presumptuous to me as well. If it's poorly written, that's another matter entirely.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

tviyh wrote:i always find it interesting to see what kind of songs other musicians enjoy, and why. i think it gives a unique perspective into how they think as a musician and sometimes gives additional insight into music that i hadn't seen before. i don't see anything pretentious or presumptuous about it at all.
Nick Hornby's not a musician - he's a writer. And one who's now famous enough to say to his readers - "give me $20 and I'll tell you what my favourite songs are". As mentioned earlier - he did a much better job of writing about music in High Fidelity

BTW - from memory, his list of favourite songs was quite a good one

another BTW:

Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby is also a great book. Similar to High Fidelity - but concerning soccer rather than music. I know nothing about soccer - but enjoyed the book immensely
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

It's only as presumptious as anyone writing any book is being. If you start thinking along the lines of 'well, what's so special about him that he can write a list of songs he likes and pass it off as some kind of insight into all our lives' then really you might as well stop reading books altogether, because the answer is 'nothing ... and?'
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Caravan Ray wrote:Nick Hornby's not a musician - he's a writer. And one who's now famous enough to say to his readers - "give me $20 and I'll tell you what my favourite songs are".
oh, i guess i misread the part of this thread where it was a book about his own favourite songs. but still, i can see where that would be an interesting read as well.. though i wouldn't shell out the money to buy it.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

And all those autobiographies that stink up the shelves of our bookstores! The NERVE of those people to think that we give a crap about their pitiful little lives!

WINSTON CHURCHILL SHAME ON YOU.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

well, we humans are a pretty voyeuristic lot.
Hi!
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

...which is a good thing. i mean, it keeps hoblit employed, anyway 8)
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Not books in general, but books of this sort don't tend to appeal to me. Hornby didn't seem to have much critical insight (I might have missed something in the 150 or so pages I didn't see). It looked to me like a collection of boring anecdotes, when I saw it.

Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

15-16 puzzle wrote:It sounds interesting and non-presumptuous to me as well. If it's poorly written, that's another matter entirely.
I agree with this completely - and the Hornby book did sound like it would be interesting. But it just wasn't.

Have a read and you'll see where Generic and me are coming from
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Well, I've read both High Fidelity and How to Be Good and enjoyed them both immensely, partly due to his writing style which I find entertaining. So, what I'm hoping it will do is get me excited about some of the songs he writes about to the point where I can get excited about them too. I love it when good writers write good about good music. Of course, if it's not good, then that's not good. But I don't know if the people here who say it's not good say it's not good because they think Honby in general is not good or if they say it's not good because it's not AS good as other things he's written.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Please Kill Me is probably my favorite book about music evvvvver. It got me into the Velvet Underground and to a lesser extent the Stooges.
nicegeoff
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Aerosmith JR.

Post by nicegeoff »

Caravan Ray wrote: Nick Hornby's not a musician - he's a writer.
I found that this hindered his ability to write about music.

...Has anyone read walter everett's "the beatles as musicians"? it's basically a critical analysis of every beatles song. It's really good because it not only touches on the music, but the recording techniques involved...as well as lyrical content, if you care about that.
make love, not music
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Bolio »

nicegeoff wrote:...Has anyone read walter everett's "the beatles as musicians"?
Very good book, highly recommended.
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

The Land Where the Blues Began by Alan Lomax is fucking amazing.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Jim of Seattle wrote:Well, I've read both High Fidelity and How to Be Good and enjoyed them both immensely, partly due to his writing style which I find entertaining. So, what I'm hoping it will do is get me excited about some of the songs he writes about to the point where I can get excited about them too. I love it when good writers write good about good music. Of course, if it's not good, then that's not good. But I don't know if the people here who say it's not good say it's not good because they think Honby in general is not good or if they say it's not good because it's not AS good as other things he's written.
Jim, did you ever get around to reading Hornby's Songbook? I'd be interested to hear if you got something out of it or if you were disappointed like I was.

And,

not a book, but recently the telly has been showing repeats of the series Walk on By: The Story of Popular Song - this is a great series, I'm enjoying it immensely. Essential viewing I think for anyone who may consider trying their hand at writing a song.
UnDesirable
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, Bass
Recording Method: Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro, Orion Basic
Submitting as: UnDesirable, Farmer Doom

Post by UnDesirable »

I picked up this book on circuit bending yesterday at Barnes&Noble. It had a 40% off sticker on it.
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitl ... 88877.html
This is the authors website.
http://www.anti-theory.com/bio/
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Mike Portnoy: Anthology Vol 1
I picked up this drum transcript (signed by mike portnoy), with transcripts of such songs as 6:00, Hell's Kitchen, Metropolis Pt 1, Strange Deja Vu, Etc. I recommend it for all drummers - really interesting if you enjoy picking through massive, complex transcripts in your spare time.