Videodrome

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Videodrome

Post by Märk »

I saw this when it first came out on VHS. I was mainly interested in seeing Debbie Harry's tits back then, plus, my 14 year old mind was not capable of grasping the concepts in this film, so I mostly just thought it was kind of dumb. Also, it had Debbie Harry nude in it.

By a strange series of coincidences, yesterday, I got all sentimental for Debbie Harry and Blondie, and wiki'd up a bunch of stuff (you know how wiki is, there's a million links when you're done) and read about Videodrome, and today I find it's on joox.net... I just watched it again, and it is a really, really fucked up movie. Discuss.
* this is not a disclaimer
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

I just saw this for the first time, recently. I checked it out as a result of the "scary movie" recs that I got in another thread.

I really liked the idea of the movie, but it sort of seemed like it fell apart. I guess the plot arc was a little off for me -- I'd have liked it better if there had been more suspense. That is to say, more to the "What the hell IS Videodrome?" portion of the movie... and less of the "DUDE I'M FREAKIN' OUT!" portion of the movie.

All that said, Debbie Harry and her fantastic rack were definite "high points" of the flick. (Har.)
Märk
Jump

Post by Märk »

I know what you mean, right? It's horribly dated for one thing, but still, it has elements that you rarely see even today in our era of ultraviolent, torturepr0n flicks. I think it was kind of ahead of its time. That said, it does kind of go by fast, and leaves (me at least) wondering "where was the story? what happens after this?"

But, hey, as a fellow Debbie Harry rack-admirer, would you be interested in this?

I think a balls-out rocking version of 'Heart of Glass' with angelic female vox (yours) would be awesome. Collab?
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

Odd. This is one of the movies we watched at our monthly, Friday night horror/cult/grindhouse/whatever night not long ago.

Obviously the boobs are a major drawcard.

It was odd, it looked like it was going in a 9MM kind of direction, and then took this head fuck/mind control stance. And then he grew a vagina in his stomach. Great. The first of the mind control guys he kills, the one whos hand get mashed off, why the fuck does he explode? Whats going on there?

Really not a bad film, and interesting to see that the 'fantasy' world that was being proposed is now somewhat of a reality (though everyone doesn't exist on video with a different name, but on the net). Maybe I do really need a tin foil hat.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

Märk wrote:I know what you mean, right? It's horribly dated for one thing, but still, it has elements that you rarely see even today in our era of ultraviolent, torturepr0n flicks. I think it was kind of ahead of its time. That said, it does kind of go by fast, and leaves (me at least) wondering "where was the story? what happens after this?"

But, hey, as a fellow Debbie Harry rack-admirer, would you be interested in this?

I think a balls-out rocking version of 'Heart of Glass' with angelic female vox (yours) would be awesome. Collab?
Yes! I saw that, and I am interested... but I can't act on anything until well after holidays / GOM are all done. Delay of game?
Märk
Jump

Post by Märk »

sausage boy wrote:The first of the mind control guys he kills, the one whos hand get mashed off, why the fuck does he explode? Whats going on there?
When he reached into his stomachvagina and tried to stick the tape in, his hand morphed into a grenade... BOOM
Märk
Jump

Post by Märk »

anti-m wrote: Yes! I saw that, and I am interested... but I can't act on anything until well after holidays / GOM are all done. Delay of game?
We have a deal! I'm the same way right now, working on GOM, busy as hell w/ holiday stuff, etc. I do have some time off work in which I plan on recording a bunch of stuff, so I might do some music for it, but February looks like the best time for me (and others too, apparently)
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

Märk wrote:
sausage boy wrote:The first of the mind control guys he kills, the one whos hand get mashed off, why the fuck does he explode? Whats going on there?
When he reached into his stomachvagina and tried to stick the tape in, his hand morphed into a grenade... BOOM
Thats what I thought. But then that leaves the question, how did it happen in real life, not in the warped perception of the main character? Did he just cut the guys hand off somehow and stick in a grenade? Where did he get the grenade from? Or is he suppose to really have a vagina stomach? Creepy.

I did like how he exploded, and the guy just walks off through the hole.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

I saw this a couple of months ago, after many many years and thought that it had good ideas that kind of get away from themselves. This would be a good candidate for an update story-wise, like brought into the computer age, but would probably just be dumbed down with a heap of pointless computer graphics. Someone smart enough to bang out a pointed script and mix in the right amount supportive image trickery could have a pretty powerful flick though. Worth seeing anyway, boobs aside.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Märk
Jump

Post by Märk »

After careful consideration, I have arrived at a conclusion about this movie: it was a cheap excuse to get Debbie Harry to act all crazy/sexy and show her boobies on film. The whole story/plot came after.

Works for me.