Post-apocalyptico (The Last Year reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
max the cat
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by max the cat »

What's schturm?

"Sturm und Drang (the conventional translation is "Storm and Stress"; a more literal translation, however, might be storm and urge, storm and longing, or storm and impulse) is the name of a movement in German literature and music taking place from the late 1760s through the early 1780s..."
johnsonic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by johnsonic »

Bonus Reviews!

Because I'm not that sharp, reviewed 1/2 the fight I didn't entert, so I'll post them here FWIW... There would have been some stiff competition here... Sorry for those peeps I left out, if I wasn't suffering from the effects of delayed flights and spotty public transport in the single digits of Monday morning definitely would have kept going....

Reïst
I really enjoyed this! I liked the arrangement, liked the words.

Max the Cat
I've always loved your tones and excellent musicianship. Good job! I'd like to hear a higher vocal harmony towards the end. But this is awesome.

The Narcaloungers
Nice lo-fimey sound at the top. Then it gets a bit muddy, or the instruments don't have their space. Love the harmonies, carry them through the chorus!

MC Paul Denyer
Nice dirty rhymes.

Lockheed Symphony
Awesome start! I want to hear the voice a bit more sitar-ey sounding, less low-mids. This is awesomely arranged, would love to hear it come through with more room to breathe dynamically.

The Weakest Suit
A Nice Crisp acoustic would be awesome, with that tag chorused electric. There's so much awesome stuff here! A very, very nice GnG.

Ross Durand
Wow, your voice is really great on here!!!
BUTTZ?
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Not many votes. Congrats to Those Meddling Kids, and thanks to my 2 voters!
ice weasel
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: tambourine, egg, casio SA39, melodica, guitar
Submitting as: Ice Weasels

Post by ice weasel »

wow, yeah, very thin voting.

well, thanks for 2nd place! that's only the 2nd time i've gotten that close!

congrats TMK!
"ice weasels: move to the 1980 Philippines and you would be a huge hit"
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Just wanted to pop in and say that I was one of the few voters and that I voted for Lockheed, although the second I hit the button I said "Shit! I wanted to vote for Ross!" Attribute it to the quality of the songs in the fight, and not my boneheaded-ness. Good stuff peoples, and cheers to TMK.

PS - Nice guitar solo, Ross. Oh wait...
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Lord of Oats
Ice Cream Man

Post by Lord of Oats »

Oh well. At least I voted for Ross.

If it's any consolation...to Ross...or you.

I didn't mean to pick on you about that...er, well, actually that was exactly what I meant to do. But not in a mean way or anything. Just kind of poking you in the ribs so see if you make the fun sound. And you did. Thanks. Which, in retrospect, almost seems kind of cruel, but they do it to me all the time, and I'm still alive. You know, it's really Ross' fault for having such bad guitar tone. Come to think about it, maybe you need to give him a few pointers on getting a good a sound out of your hunk of wood.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

You leave my wood out of this.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
jackfrost
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jackfrost »

drew piston - i love this one. instantly catchy. love it. i can't listen to it just once.

andre - i like this one too, but it sounds like your not singing in your true singing voice in the verses. timing issues really stand out too. i do like the songwriting here.

jach feat iona - this is another of my favorites in this fight, and that's mainly due to the male/female dynamic. if this was just g+g, i think it would have gotten lost in the mix, but add a chick's voice to it and you've got a great number. strange how that works. this reminds me of the blake babies a bit with the vocal interplay. nice.

lockheed symphony - this seems to be very inspired by Tomorrow Never Knows, but you know that, right? this is another standout tune this fight. there are lots of great sounds here, and i found myself really liking it.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Reïst wrote:ps - if anybody has some advice on how to develop some technique/style on keyboards, advice on that would be great - I'm just starting out.
This may get slapped down by the bonafide keyboard players here but for the quick and dirty...

Start out recording two takes both played with your strong hand, one in the bass register and the other in the high (or middle). Then work out the part that corresponds with where your weak hand is on the keyboard with your weak hand (since you've got a take that sounds like what you want for reference). Then play 'em together. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Or take lotsa lessons, heh.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

jackfrost wrote:
lockheed symphony - this seems to be very inspired by Tomorrow Never Knows, but you know that, right? this is another standout tune this fight. there are lots of great sounds here, and i found myself really liking it.
You called me on that one. Mega compressed drums, arbitary sitar, tremolo and doubling on the vocals, backwards string loops (nixed from old songfight tunes), and hippy nonsense lyrics. It was kind of a style parody. Anyways...

The Weakest Suit - I really like the way that the guitar is recorded on it. Especially with that little recurring melody line through the verses. That 5-4-3-1 thingie. I really like this song.

Ross Durand- Geez. I really like this one too. It kind of makes me want to get on a boat. Something about the way that it sounds. It's very ballady. Personally, I kept on thinking of Ireland when hearing this.

Narcaloungers- Geez, this song really reminds me of some other song that I heard not too long ago. Actually, I know exactly what it is. It's really similar to Jumper by Third Eye Blind. I dig the harmonica, but some of the vocal harmonies don't really trip my trigger. Oh well, I dig the chord progession.

Drew Piston- So much panning! If that wasn't as prevalant, I might like it more. THe vocal effect with the autotune and the vocoder or whatever, makes this song really enjoyable in a weird way. I like it though.

Lord of Oats- Electrotastic. For some reason, the order that I've listened to these songs fits them remarkably well. You're getting a little bit better at hitting the higher notes, but your vocals still aren't strong points. Neither are mine though, so I agree, we should collab.

Andre Was Here at Midnight- Really doesn't do it for me, but it's a decent song. I'm not too huge on the lyrics, and the drums are really awkwardly mixed, but whatever. Kind of cluttered. The song would be better, it's just kind of awkward in it's current state.

MC Paul Denyer- Deliberately out of tune piano! If it were a synth, I'd come over there and tune it for you. 70 dollars. These lyrics are just a little bit ridiculous. I kind of like the way that you flow though. That piano is entirely too clean for the rest of the song. If it were more lo-fi, I'd dig it. Oh snaps.

Max the Cat- I never do know what to expect of you. Usually, I get either really cool guitarwork or really stupid high register singing. I really like this you a little bit better. Your tracks are just a little bit amazing when it comes to driving down the road. Usually, I picture myself driving down a really long road that isn't a US interstate highway when listening to your stuff. Hmm. US-11. That's close to my house. Yea.

Jach S and Iona- Hmm, nice song craft. Kind of reminds me of stuff that I would have heard around in the nineties. Which isn't bad at all. Maybe it's just the chord progression and the guitar tone. It's a very pretty song...but it doesn't really fandango my tickets.

Surf Train Surf Industry- Fruityloops, man. I use it too. I really like the lyrics and the chord progression in this. The crazy synths, (is that buzz adapter?), are almost addictive. Definitely a reprise of last week.

Those Meddling Kids- Cut up electronica. Kind of makes me wanna put it in some sort of indie flick. I do enjoy your vocal style though. It's snazzy-tastic. And the guitar lines, and the...well, song in general. Oh yeaz.

Steve Durand- That's organarific. Hmm. I'm not really sure how much I like this song. It's pretty creative. Some of the drum fills are almost too busy for the track, but the trumpets, as always, make me grin really big-like.

Wages- I do like this, yes I do.
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:Reviews
No review for lil ol' me?
Rabid Garfunkel wrote:Start out recording two takes both played with your strong hand, one in the bass register and the other in the high (or middle). Then work out the part that corresponds with where your weak hand is on the keyboard with your weak hand (since you've got a take that sounds like what you want for reference). Then play 'em together. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Or take lotsa lessons, heh.
I took a lot of lessons when I was younger, but I don't remember any of that stuff. I'll give what you said a try. Thanks!
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Word. Thankyou for all the reviews, and in particular for the Carpetburn reviews in the other fight (I can't be bothered posting this in the other thread too). I'm not sure I deserved the win but I also don't always get this many nice comments so thanks.

It's funny how nobody accuses you of friend-flooding when you've only got 5 friends :)
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

Reïst wrote:
Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:Reviews
No review for lil ol' me?
Geeezzzz. For some reason, every time that I do reviews, I accidentally skip you. I should probably put a post-it note on my computer...'REVIEW REIST'. I'll give you a PM review if you want it, but I can't do it right now because I'm at work.
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:I'll give you a PM review if you want it, but I can't do it right now because I'm at work.
So ... uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... you gonna follow through on that? :wink: