Nur Ein III Round Two "Unnatural Disaster"

There can be only one.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Re: Nur Ein III- Round 2

Post by Ross »

In the spirit of citizenship and comraderie - I will now comment on your songs :-)

All good songs. Very listenable throughout. I don’t envy the judges. I wish we could all go on. In assessing pros and cons, here’s what I’ve got. Presented in rough order of preference. Defend away!!!!

SAFE
WSA - Your pieces all come together here. Best WSA piece yet. I get the impression you have Frisbee singing some bits he didn’t write, am I right here? It works well. And Pete’s flow is well placed. Great backing vox and Glennny’s guit is right on. Immunity deserved (of course I called it for Paco last week).

Jim Tyrell - More great rawk. Did you play those quick little lead riffs? Great verse, chorus transition/contrast. Damn you’re a good singer. I would have loved a piece of color change for the verse coming out of the guitar solo.

Ken - nice and tuneful. I wish your vocals didn’t sound quite so deliberate on this. I agree that it conjures some of hte quality alt rock of the era when there was real alt rock. Nice and hooky and fun. Some day I’ll learn how to use my keys better. VEry nice!!

KA - interesting choices throughout. I like this at so many levels and yet am left feeling wanting the last 10%. I think it’s a little forcing in the chorus aimed at getting the title in.Have you ever worked in a classroom where a kid said or did something that makes you genuinely wonder whether a kid might come back and blow some people away? I have - it is a terrrible position to be in. I like how you worked the backwards guitar in to a lyrical piece.

Paco - ooh, a backwards crescendo!! I like this song - I almost went for this theme, too. Glad I didn’t, yours is better than I would have done. Excellent use of your guitar sensibilities and vocal stylings. Excellent grooooove change.

VERY GOOD
BLT - as always great groovy rock. “Only a Lad” - The theme of the song doesn’t grab me but I do like the “killed a rabbit” line. nice use of silence at the end of the main backwards bit - reminded me of Everclear or something. The affected and slightly imprecise vocals do work against this a bit for me - especially in the recapitulation. you are always good and hooky.

Glenn and a little bit of Rachel - Some pretty interesting concepts here lyrically and musically. The backwards drum thing kinda grated on me after a bit - but I get the idea that in this post apocalyptic world, you were going for some harshness. If you were - it worked. You always have interesting melodic ideas and they come off well here. Perhaps one degree to abrasive for me (and I liked Jesus and Mary Chain). I hope you don’t drop your glasses.

DECENT
Adam Adamant - I like the overall construction of this - layering, etc. Pretty interesting bass line - by the “instrumental” near the end I felt the song had been a bit too long. I like the “guitar” sound that comes in as the first song starts. I hear the backwards keyboard stuff.

Andrew Reist - pretty catchy little bits. Catchy Rock is a good thing. I’m curious about your guitar/effects set up - mind pm-ing it to me? A few stilted bits in the words. I like this one pretty well, although the lyrics don’t exactly grab me that much. Is the backwards part the whispery stuff? odd little ending.

ADD - I’m torn on this - some things I really like - the overall sound, structure, and sentiment. And yet a bunch of it sounds like jumble, as if you didn’t have time to refine the lyrics and/or delivery. I get that it is probably exactly the aesthetic you were going for - but it’s not really working for me - based on the groove my ears want the voc part to blend better, put accents in different spots. I think it also had the effect of making harder to “hear” the lyrics since my ears were distracted by the delivery. I really like the choir patch. I do wish there had been more obvious musical elements that were backwards in addition the vocal bits. Oh, a little backwards keys there.

GOOD BUT IN DANGER
Bryan Kandel - great guitar work and vocals. The backwards thing is well done within your idiom. I enjoy many moments in this song but also had a difficult time putting all of the impressionistic lyrics into a unified whole in only a few listens - including the disaster piece that is the chorus and title. Beautiful, though. A second time I feel harmonies could help - especially to fill in the spaces in the chorus. Perhaps I could try to do some harmony for you sometime via collab. (do you live in a noisy place? not a criticism, but at the end I thought I cold hear a lot of ambient noise - especially on the right).

FBF- It definitely rocks and I love that part - the lyrics are a bit over-obscured for me, I’d like to be able to decode them without having to look them up. I really was enjoying the jazz/prog in the middle, but the joke and rewind seemed like a bit of a non sequiter to me. Great feel, content eh.

Tex - wow, took Revolution 9 - k. You’re songs are certainly catchy and fun. Is this written from the point of view of Charles Manson? Oh, I guess not. lyrics ok. A bit too long for my tastes. I put four below you - so I can hear your fun song next week, too. but if it comes down to you or me - I hope I guet tot stay in instead. No Apple loops were harmed in the making of this song.

Starfinger - I found this slightly off putting. nice key sounds and perc layering, and I like that you committed to the vocals. Lyrically it sounded sort of like brainstorming that had not been edited. I think I have a stylistic issue here that is mainly personal preference.

Cock - Another one I’m torn on - reminds me of New order or something from the 80s and yet it didn’t quite hold up to that standard - in particular I felt the phrasing in the chorus was a little awkward. nice build and work in this idiom. good textures as well. A bit long, too, I thought.

Octothorpe - Inspired by “The Martian Hop?” Given that I know that song, this sounds quite derivative. Unfortunately, # is not my thing. Given the idiom I do think the words should be more up front. other than that - interesting sort of Residents colors in the instrumental backing. A little forcing getting the word “Disaster” into the song????

15-16 Not a big fan of this. Could be due to genre bias, but it just didn’t tickle my funny bone and parts seemed to lag a bit, not rhythmically, but in energy. Some interesting sounds and a few clever lines. The main “backwards” sounding part at the end of the chorus sounds like faux reverse, although I feel I definitely hear other actual reverse stuff as well - such as the moan at the beginning and some other assorted sounds. Not my thing perhaps.

BONUS TRACK
JBB - do you use a mac? I use Logic Express academic and it works pretty good (now htat I have decent headphones). For some reason I recall you mentioning mac a while back. Heavy, Man! and great vocal range. I envy guys who can sing like you. Fun song! Thanks for continuing the Immunity submission tradition.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Ross wrote:Octothorpe - Inspired by “The Martian Hop?”
Nope. Never heard of it. Well, until I looked it up, and I can see why you thought that.
Ross wrote:A little forcing getting the word “Disaster” into the song????
Thematically - no. The whole thing is about a disaster that turns out to be not such a disaster. Rhythmically, maybe. It was supposed to match the three syllables in the line "It was weird", but I kept singing "Man, it was weird", so I added a beat, messing up the potential match-up (which was a stretch to start with).

Thanks for listening though, appreciate the review. Good Luck in the voting.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Ross wrote: FBF- It definitely rocks and I love that part - the lyrics are a bit over-obscured for me, I’d like to be able to decode them without having to look them up. I really was enjoying the jazz/prog in the middle, but the joke and rewind seemed like a bit of a non sequiter to me. Great feel, content eh.
What are you kidding me about the lyrics? I can see exactly one word most of us would have to look up ("fluorocarbons") and the context spells out the definition. Please don't tell me you are a leftist songwriting dude and you don't know who Ann Coulter is. She's practically the devil and one of the fun jokes of the song is that marrying her would be the equivalent of poison darts, death by burning, drowning and experiencing a coma. She's that terrible and you should really know about her before you meet her at a party somewhere and she takes you to a back room and devours you, leaving behind only your bones. And anyway, aren't you the guy who recently used "Romanee-Conti 1989" in his lyrics and added this statement ("*John Hagee is an American Pastor who believes God sent Hurricane Katrina to New Orleans because a major Gay Pride event was happening that week. Current Presidential candidate John McCain actively seeked and received Mr. Hagee's endorsement.") to the bottom of his lyrics?

I'm not sure how the rewind gag qualifies as a "non sequiter" (sic) but I just thought it would be funny.
adamadamant
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: None
Recording Method: Answer phone messages
Pronouns: he/him

Post by adamadamant »

Ross wrote: Adam Adamant - I like the “guitar” sound that comes in as the first song starts. I hear the backwards keyboard stuff.
I guess I should expect it as my songs are always chocked with synth but both of those are real guitars. I thought if I reversed a synth it would just sound like another synth and that's kind of missing the point. I don't play guitar but I managed to stitch something together, two notes at a time kind of thing. :)
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

frankie big face wrote:
Ross wrote: FBF- It definitely rocks and I love that part - the lyrics are a bit over-obscured for me, I’d like to be able to decode them without having to look them up. I really was enjoying the jazz/prog in the middle, but the joke and rewind seemed like a bit of a non sequiter to me. Great feel, content eh.
What are you kidding me about the lyrics? I can see exactly one word most of us would have to look up .
Perhaps I was unclear - I couldn't tell what the words were by hearing them, I had to go to the lyrics thread. I understood the content fine once I could actually tell what you were saying. I didn't say the lyrics were obscure - I said they were "obscured." I rather enjoyed the Anne Coulter Joke.

I added the John Hagee note primarily for non-Americans - since I am not sure whether he is being reported about overseas the same way he is here in the States. Similarly I have appreciated when Caravan Ray has clarified when he has written about Australian politics.

That's all - it was a production note, not a lyric note. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Zooeeveer Rehtsahzid Lahroochawnuh
(Unnatural Disaster Reviews)

Holy Crap! What a great fight! This is definitely in my top 3 fights of all fights of all time. I think 2nd only to Sister Cocaine of last year. At the New York show in January we were talking about the high quality of fights in Nur Ein. We all agreed Nur Ein had the best fights, but I think the 3 of us talking had 3 different favorites.

15-16 Puzzle- Great music. Beautifully weird. I don’t care for the rap, but you do “flow” very well. It’s not clear to me what is backwards, I think it’s the bass vocals in the backing track. Ah there’s the definite backwards stuff at the end.

Adam Adamant- I dig this! Catchy Lo-Fi groove. The tasty minimalist groove is the backbone of the song and the best part. It reminds me of the “Airbag” approach (Radiohead). The vocal melody is very catchy too! Very cool!

ADD- Damn, this is great! I love the vocal melody. The backwards track sound great, I wish I could make out what it’s saying without reversing the track, which I will do, but haven’t yet. Yet another thing I miss about vinyl, much easier to listen to backwards.

Andrew Reist- Another great song, love the riffs. All the playing and writing is wonderful. There is something about the recordings that do bug me, I’m glad the elite producers are digging into it, I’m learning a lot from it. I don’t find the backwards part to be very prominent, I fear in such a strong fight that might hurt you. I look forward to some live AR at a SF live event, it shall rock!

BLT- You are Ace Frehley. Another party song from you, cool as usual. Good riff. I wish the solo was longer. I take that it is backwards. I had an elaborate forward vs. Backward trading licks solo originally, that I scrapped, because it didn’t really sound that backwards. I feel the same about your backwards solo. Great song!

Bryan Kandel- The backwards acoustic sounds wonderful, the sharp attack and quick fade of acoustic playing really make the backwards sound backwards. The guitar playing is beautiful and has a lot of feel. Your voice is great, the song takes a backseat to the guitar playing for my ears. Still a very enjoyable track!

Calk- Gothy coolness. The haunting verse is stronger than the chorus payoff. Excellent use of the challenge. The main riff is clearly backwards.

Frankie big Face- I love that I never know what to expect from you genre speaking. This is awesome! I think the challenge meeting was very inserted, however it’s pretty funny. I’m a huge progressive rock geek. We used to do the best cover of “Mother Goose” my band mate did the Ian Anderson thing too.

Glenn and Rachel- Drums are perfect to reverse, because they really embrace backwardness. Tempo change kicks my ass! I think your voice might be too good for the harder rock. Very cool track!

Jim Tyrell- Vocals are too upfront for my taste. Backwards solo is very cool. It’s a little strange to me how tame the drums are with the guitar as chaotic as it is. That’s a nitpick, this song really rocks!

JBB- Wow, I really love that chorus! The chord pattern is really great too! I don’t think the backwardness is embraced as much as it could be, but this is a damn great song.

Ken- I love this song! The backwards keys was a brilliant choice. Your vocals really work well for this genre! Drums are classic Ken, tight and tasty! No complaints, just a perfect pop song, with excellent interesting production!

King Arthur- Great bass line! Tasty guitar! I personally hate stories; I have to pay attention to what the vocal noises are saying. I’d rather think about the notes and rhythms. Your voice is wonderful, however I think you might be over singing for the mellowness of the music presented. (Can you believe my critiques? too much story, over singing?) This is a cool track!

Octothorpe- Beautifully weird, with an oddly contagious chorus!

Paco del Stinko- Drums sound fantastic! Great chords! Man I love your guitar playing! I think there could be more backwards stuff. Another keeper!

Ross Durand- Is it really a soft G in Hagee? If it were a hard G, there’s an opportunity for a clever lyricist like yourself, to use Hagee backwards “(h)e gay”. OK maybe it’s a stretch. I like this song a lot! One of my favorites this week, I’m still juggling my ordering. Tough week! Backwards solo is nice!

Starfinger- Great lyrics! I really like this! The music is ever evolving and very interesting. I think your huge vocals might be too upfront for my taste, but that’s a nitpick, the song is very entertaining.

Tex- Groovy bass line! Chorus is very good! Nice Satan! Just a great song!

The WSA- I hope you all can hear my backwards English reversed. I sang “Rehtsahzid Lahroochawnuh” which reversed is supposed to sound like “Unnatural Disaster” in a very creepy backwards way. We made the refrains big chords that really swelled when reversed. This was a rough recording process, Frisbee had a dead computer on Saturday, my computer was giving me grief until 3AM Saturday night. You should really check out the latest mix Melvin made, we were lucky to get the submission in. Listening to the submitted version now, I really miss the Pedro bits. I love working with these guys. This is the 1st WSA track with my voice on it (be it backwards). The evolution of the lyrics went from my “Rehtsahzid Lahroochawnuh”, to Melvin's “Oh No’s” to Frisbee’s main body of lyrics, to Pedro’s refrain lyrics. You may say the evolution of the lyrics was backwards: fancy-frill to backing vox to verse to chorus. It typically goes in the opposite direction for me anyway when writing lyrics. My solo could be better, like I said before I scrapped my big plan of backwards guitar solo, because there wasn’t really a discernible difference between the forwards and backwards guitar with the tones I like to play with.

I cringe to give an order but if it were me, excluding WSA (can’t be objective) and JBB:

Very very very very good:
1- Ken

Very very very good:
2- ADD
3- Ross Durand
4- Paco del Stinko
5- Frankie Big Face
6- Glenn & Rachel

Very very good:
7- Adam Adamant
8- Tex
9- Bryan Kandel
10- Octothorpe
11- Andrew Reist
12- Billy’s Little Trip
13- Starfinger

Which cuts these very good tracks:

14- Jim Tyrell
15- King Arthur
16- Cock
17- 15-16 Puzzle

Yeah that sucked, judging will be tough. I sure hope we survive. Excellent fight!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

yessssssss, double lasters.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Erik,

Just my personal preference, your track is very good and very cool, it's just my 17th favorite. Besides that's my ranking, not my prediction, my prediction has you near the top.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

Ross wrote: That's all - it was a production note, not a lyric note. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
After I wrote my comment, I later wondered if you meant exactly what you just said you meant. But I was already in the shower and didn't want to get my keyboard wet. ;) Sorry if I overreacted, but you did encourage us to be defensive!
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

Tried to type these notes up yesterday, kept getting distracted (central heating is on the blink... and we had NO HOT WATER yesterday), anyway these are just random notes, jotted down whilst listenening and they are not very concise!

15-16 Puzzle: Great intro, initially felt a definate Eels thing going on, though that unfortunately dissapated and the track did get to feel a little... 'tired' (for want of a better word!)... towards the end, loved the ice cubes in a glass noises and at times (for some reason) this track reminded me of 'Siouxsie and the Banshees - Face to Face'

Adam Adamant: I do like a good solid bass intro, and this doesnt dissapoint, the whole thin in fact had a definate 'Blur(ry)' feel even so much as your vocals hada tinge of 'Damon', kept the challenge nice and simple which was good, and I liked the little ska nod!

ADD: Good solid track, and I enjoyed the 'end of the world' theme to the lyrics, the backwards vocal though good, did get a touch annoying after a while, great celestial choir and overall found this reminding me of anything off of 'James - Stutter'. (First appearance of backwards chipmunks... very annoying!)

Andrew Reist: Refeshingly rocky to begin with, for some reason (and I've not noticed this with you before) I found your pronunciation on 'living' really really grating (minor gripe and not a major concern.. but I made a note of it...!), thought the falsetto was brave and well done, and I did enjoy the backwards gremlin voice when he was kept hidden within your creative musical folds.

Billy's Little Trip: Good rock out intro, excellent lyric as always, found myself reminded of 'Big Audio Dynamite', and the way you handled the challenge was exactly what I was looking for... good work!

Bryan Kandel: Beautiful lyric well performed, the backwards track is a bit 'over used', in my notes I've likened you to a 'Male Suzanne Vega', a touch awkward in places... (I wish I were this awkward!!!)

Cock: Another nice bass(y) intro, backwards challenge is again 'overdone', you come across a little 'Paul King' vocally, which isn't an insult by any means, and I experienced this weeks first sing a long moment.... well done!

Frankie Big Face: Very 'Socks Off!' and to be honest you could be singing anything, it didn't matter, the feel was there and when the jazz funk breakdown thing )happened I was in heaven, absolutely hated the joke rewind thing (understand it, just didn't like it... sorry!), which was funny(ish) the first time only.

Glenn and Rachael: I inderstand your both not well, but even so this is still a great effort, does get a little plodding at times but not a major concern, the vocals are placed perfectly, and where is that sample from????

JBB: The introis 'Mental', I've written in my notes 'Rock n' Wobble' I have no idea why, but I really enjoyed it, the lyrics were almost like a soundbyte market! great stuff!!

Jim Tyrrell: I usually enjoy everything you do Jim, and although this is not exeception (insomusch as it well done), I kept hearing 'Paul McCartney' I know it sounds odd, and I cannot place the song, but somehow it just didn't sit right with me, good song but not grabbing me (sorry!)

Ken Mahru: Not a lot I can say to this, just found it completely 'barmy' and 'brilliant'!

King Arthur: Brilliant lyrics!, Brilliant delivery! Excellent guitar! Sing-a-long moments!.... Awful awful chipmunks! what possessed you Charles? take them out it's a great great song, the backwards guitar is fabulous!

Octothorpe: Another track I didn't make many notes for apart from this mildly amusing scribble.... "Sounds like a episode of Scooby Doo!), Good fun track, not instantly accessable! (though the alien chipmunks were great!)

Paco del Stinko: 'Quintessential Paco'..... "Turned the cities into sand" - Brilliant! so far this Nur Ein (and I'm sorry to say this....) you've dissapointed me a little, being one of those artists I look forward to hearing, but this is a definate 'Return of the Paquabats! (sorry couldn't resist it!)

Ross Durand: Great great song, could easily be the theme tune to 'Brokeback Mountain' (that's supposed to be funny... but now it's not!, oh well I won't edit it!) Brilliant use of the challenge.

Starfinger: Weird and enjoyable, this is like listening to a 'Groovy Geiger Counter'.... first genuine dancing at work moment!

Tex Beaumont and the Dirty Hearts: Just plain awesome, the complete fun, sing-a-long, dance-a-long package, the most fun track of the week, glorious!

The Wordly Self-Assurance: Be still my indie-heart, the lands smack in the centre of everything that appeals to me about bands like... 'Bearsuit', 'Los Campesinos', made me dance like a mental fool!
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

Nigel (spOOn) Clements wrote: Ken Mahru: Not a lot I can say to this, just found it completely 'barmy' and 'brilliant'!
Yeah Ken, I wanted to say (if I didn't already) I really liked your song this week. If you could excuse this backhanded compliment, I'm usually not that into your stuff and you even hooked me this week. Nice job.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

Nigel (spOOn) Clements wrote: Frankie Big Face: Very 'Socks Off!' and to be honest you could be singing anything, it didn't matter, the feel was there and when the jazz funk breakdown thing )happened I was in heaven, absolutely hated the joke rewind thing (understand it, just didn't like it... sorry!), which was funny(ish) the first time only.
I knew there were going to be some people who actually liked the jazzy breakdown and could almost be offended by the gag. But that just means it worked. I mean, truthfully, I'm not above having a jazz rock breakdown in the middle of a tune. I just think it would be kind of goofy in a tune like this. But at the same time, I had to make it convincing on some level or it wouldn't be funny when it stops. And yes, I realize the joke only works once, which is why I made an edit of the song without it (posted it to somesongs). And I also realize that some judges may penalize me for not using "backwards recording" the way they wanted it used, but you can't argue that it is both "backwards" and "prominent."
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Nigel (spOOn) Clements wrote:King Arthur: Brilliant lyrics!, Brilliant delivery! Excellent guitar! Sing-a-long moments!.... Awful awful chipmunks! what possessed you Charles? take them out it's a great great song, the backwards guitar is fabulous!
I actually had to go back and listen to the song again to realize what you were referring to here. This was my main idea for "backwards recording," which was that the bridge consists of a set of lines where I sing one line, there is "tape rewinding" sound and then the next line starts with the last two words of the previous line. This was the part that was done in "post," after I had mixed the song down and had the stereo mix on the computer. The chipmunkism happened because regular speed backwards just didn't sound like tape rewinding.

The backwards guitar solo was sort of a bonus; that one actually was recorded on the AW16, transfered to the computer, reversed, and transferred back to the AW16, all over the analog i/o 'cause the CD writer in the deck is busted. It was also my "insurance" backwards recording bit, in case the chipmunks on the bridge didn't come across as intended.

Thanks for the reviews, everybody who did them...

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Heyyyyy Nigel, you jumped the gun! :wink:

This was a rough round to judge. Every fighter changed positions on a daily basis, and wildly so. I'll get out reviews whilst y'all are working on the next title, but in the meantime...

What I'm looking at in the songs breaks down to three equally important categories, though I'm going in the listed order, ranking the songs each time and adjusting the list accordingly:
1) the completeness of the song itself (how the musical elements & lryics complement each other/fit & sit together/the overall mood & internal logic the song has);
2) production & performance (let's face it, production may not count as much in SF proper, but in Nür Ein it's gots to sound technically good to advance, and that includes vocals fellas/how the challenge is addressed)
3) personal enjoyment (by this point, I've heard the songs enough to hopefully get 'em better than I did on the first listen/am I still cringing or am I bobbing my head along with the major element(s)
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Billy's Little Trip
Odie
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics

Post by Billy's Little Trip »

Nigel (spOOn) Clements wrote:Billy's Little Trip: Good rock out intro, excellent lyric as always, found myself reminded of 'Big Audio Dynamite', and the way you handled the challenge was exactly what I was looking for... good work!
Don't hate me, but I had to look up Big Audio Dynamite. Of course after I did, I felt stupid, because I didn't know that was Mick Jones' other band, and I LOVE the Clash. Also, I've heard so many of BAD's songs and probably just thought it was the Clash.
How cool is it to have the initials BAD? Sounds tough and awesome. So much better than BLT. A sandwich? WTF? :P
After youtubing BAD, I was reminded of all the great music. I hope to someday record, mix and produce a song like BAD's - Rush. So fucking good!
Thanks Nige.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Congrats to Ross.

Thanks to everyone who said nice things about my song this week. I wish the judges had agreed with you!

Sorry to see folks go. You did great.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Way to go, Ross! And I too am sorry to see anyone go, although it's obviously part of the game. Great songs, everyone, here's to round three!Nur Ein!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Okay, KA heading home. Congrats to all who made it through.

Hoping to see some reviews from the judges, especially the two who put me dead last, just to get an idea of what I did wrong.

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Sorry to go guys, but I understand if you didn't like it - I'll admit my tune was a bit of a hack job. Good luck to the rest of you in future rounds!

EDIT: Dead last? :oops: That kind of sucks, but hey - there's always gotta be a loser. :)
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

duhn duhn DUUUHHHHNNNN

BRONZE

Congrats to those to made it through!
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

well folks, it's been swell... but the swelling has gone down.

p.s. reist you weren't really last... you made it past round 0 and round 1... so technically... ;)
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV

Post by Jefff »

Can we vote judges off?

(sorry the sportsmanship in this thread was getting a little nauseating.)