Go Tampa Bay Rays!

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Go Tampa Bay Rays!

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Hey I know sports is usually about as popular a topic around here as ....... well nothing really comes to mind, but it's not a really popular one. But nonetheless, I did want to send out some congrats to the Rays for not falling to the Sox in a series that should have been over last Thursday night. They could have easily folded especially when Boston jumped on them early 1-0 and held that lead for a while.

Old "Hoblitville" could be celebrating their 3rd major sports championship in a 3rd separate sport in less than a decade by the end of this month. Congrats to the Rays, and Hoblit, who I expect to see in the "I'm kind o fdrink ruight now" thread shortly.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Re: Go Tampa Bay Rays!

Post by jimtyrrell »

Nice job, Tampa Bay! Here's hoping it takes you fewer games to beat Philly and win it all. :D
Last edited by jimtyrrell on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

A couple of things. I failed to post in the fdrink thread but I probably qualified for a post. Paying for it a little bit here at work this morning.

Two, to be nit picky I must point out that its the Tampa BAY Rays. That's an important distinction because they don't play in Tampa. They play across the bay in St. Petersburg.

Also to be nit picky... we already have three titles in the last decade!

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Tampa)
Tampa Bay Lightning won their championship (Tampa)
Tampa Bay Storm (Tampa, arena football if you're wondering!)

Now its time for the Rays to stack another one on. I know ya'll baseball fans are generally used to seeing packed stadiums on the TV but we're not. The last two games were a foreign site to our eyes here in the bay area. The fact that the stadium was filled up actually made local news!

Hoblitville was definitely pumped and calls were made. I'm not even a baseball fan but I was flipping back and forth between the Bucs and the Rays all night. (Just bad timing that both games would be on at the same time) The Bucs game ended about the 7th inning of the Rays game and I watched it steadily from there.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

I really like the Rays and I'm so happy they beat Boston. But you know, hometown pride and all--gotta root for the Phils.

And Hoblit, I hate to break it to you but I'm pretty sure there were just as many Boston fans in the stands as Tampa fans unfortunately.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Hoblit wrote:Tampa Bay Lightning won their championship
:evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

I'm not bitter about the shitty call in game 6. Not at all. :wink:
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Well, I was hoping Boston would win, but am not heartbroken or by any means, bitter. I am cheering on the Rays and can't imagine doing so for Philly. Even if John Kruk came back. Go Rays!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:Even if John Kruk came back.
I don't think you have to worry about that, given that he's gained about 150 pounds in the last year.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Hoblit wrote:Also to be nit picky... we already have three titles in the last decade!
Well to be deliberately nit picky, I said MAJOR sports championships. Arena Football doesn't quite stack up to the likes of the NFL, NHL or MLB in that regard. I'm not saying that Arena football isn't cool and everything, but in terms of attendance and revenue, I would bet the Bucs beat the Storm in preseason numbers alone.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:
Hoblit wrote:Also to be nit picky... we already have three titles in the last decade!
Well to be deliberately nit picky, I said MAJOR sports championships. Arena Football doesn't quite stack up to the likes of the NFL, NHL or MLB in that regard. I'm not saying that Arena football isn't cool and everything, but in terms of attendance and revenue, I would bet the Bucs beat the Storm in preseason numbers alone.
Well, granted it IS relative but I bet the Tampa Bay Storm's attendance average per game for the previous 5 years ranks among the Rays attendance averages. (If not better)

Besides that...to be EXTRA NIT PICKY, WIKI considers Arena Football a U.S. major league sport. OH...what was that? OooooOOOOHHHHHOOOOOoooohhh, now you want to change that to mean one of the big four right?

SO THERE!

:P (I'm totally just playing...and in your defense, Wiki considers the soccer league a 'major sport league'.)

/Hoblit goes back to watching the war on I-4
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

sure reel in other people into this baseball topic.
sure MLS stinks as a league, but at least soccer is a lot more exciting that say.. cricket.

/here fishy fishy...