Might as well... JUMP! (Fell Out of the Sky Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Standard disclaimer: all reviews are prefaced with the invisible text "that was awesome, the way you wrote, recorded, and produced this song in a single week."

15-16 Puzzle: You, sir, are a master of the simile. I can't say much else about the song, though. I listen to the words, I shrug and nod at your lyrical genius, I move on to the next track.

Abecedarian: You got a great tone from the mandolin, and the spare arrangement works really well. The meta-lyric killed it for me, though. I can't think of an example of self-referential lyrics that work, outside joke songs.

Andre ... : If you actually want this to sound good, the guitar should be louder.

Ants: This is great. It's tough to give it my vote 'cause there's not much "song" to it, but what's here is really well performed and produced.

Bellgreen: The instruments go in and out of synch throughout. Not by much, mind you, but enough to give the song an overly loose feel. Cool, if that's what you were going for. Also, I don't get the lyrics. I mean, I can hear them, but do they say anything?

BeWells: I want to say nice things about this, 'cause it's a good song overall, but all the notes I jotted down are critical. Deep breath: The drums have too much room mic, and it makes them sound distant, more so in the busier parts of the song. The kick drum, especially, has no punch. (Was it mic'd separately?) Maybe as a result of this, the song has no dynamic, which is fine by itself but I don't think that's the sound you were going for (with the drum beat changes and so forth.) I think tightening the drum sound would address this. Finally, I didn't notice a hook, at least on the first couple of listens. I suspect this is because of the flat mix, 'cause like I said, it's a good song overall.

CCS: The production is flawless as always. The only nit I'd pick is that the phrasing shounds forced in places, especially for "is it true that I fell out of the sky."

EddieBangs: Great harmonies in the chorus. (I thought you'd get more AIC comparisons.) The levels are perfect in the mix, but the overall sound is thin for some reason. Missing low-mids maybe? (Heh, I should know.) Your song has the best hook of the week.

Edge of LA: Heh, is that a real tambourine? Either way, I like it. My feedback is all mix related: This basically sounds like it's mixed mono. And the vocals are drowning everything out, but I think it's more a matter of competing frequencies. I'd pan the guitar out of the middle, and kill the bottom frequencies on the vocal track. Maybe roll off 6db/octave from 200Hz down? The song doesn't really grab me, but I think it would with a cleaner mix.

Hostess Mostess: Fantastic. I love your voice. I think this is the song to beat this week (if winning actually mattered :).) Others have noted the drums could use a little tweaking. Maybe run a humanize script on the midi track? Otherwise, though, the levels and placement are spot on. Also, it's tough to make a 7-beat sound accessible, so congrats on that.

Jordan: A cardinal rule of songwriting: "just because you wrote all these words doesn't mean you have to put them in the song." Or, to paraphrase Elmore Leonard, "try to leave out the parts that people skip." This is an O.K. song waiting to be edited into a good song. The good song you end up with will be 2 minutes, 30 seconds long, and won't have anything that comes after 3:27 in your mix. Also, I'd make your vocal quieter, and the snare drum louder.

Lemon songs: I cranked the volume. I still couldn't hear you. Have some confidence, man! (Also, see my advice for Edge of LA. All your parts are fighting for the same frequencies, and unfortunately the background guitar wins.)

Likely Lads: Good vocal performance. The guitar and bass are mixed well, but all I hear of the drums is the high hat in most places. This song would rock much harder with a tweaked mix.

Macher Lietchy: The production's fine. The track has a couple of interesting bits, but overall it just kinda drags. I mean, there's no up-and-down at all, nothing to maintain my interest.

Max The Cat: You produced this perfectly for what it is. The lyrics demand to be heard, and you made sure they are. I like this .. If I listened to a lot of it, I'd kill people and the press would blame your song. But I like it.

Motor Monkeys: This sounds ... Norwegian. Wow, is it ever well-performed. As was pointed out above, though, the mix is really muddy. There's tonnes of great stuff in the song but the bottom end is stomping all over it. Whatever's doing the thunder at the low frequencies has to go. It sounds like a detuned bass drum run through a reverb. If it is, don't do that anymore.

PigPen: You have a great sense for the style. By which I mean, the parts that make up the song are all the right ones. The vocal performance doesn't quite carry it, though. It sounds like you recorded under a blanket at 3 a.m. so you wouldn't disturb the kids next door. (If that's the case, forget about them just let rip. This is your ART, man. They're kids. They'll get over it.)

Scott Faris: The drums in part II need to be way louder. And that part needs bass, too. Or if there's already bass in there, it needs to be much louder.

State Shirt: Brilliantly performed. You know yourself the U2 comparisons are all off the mark. Not the Radiohead ones, though: that chorus found its way here from Oxford in 1996. Alternately, this is what Coldplay would sound like if they weren't such pansies. I echo dre and TT, though: the mix sounds like I'm listening to you perform in the SkyDome. SkyDome is the world's largest bass trap. The comparison makes me think you may have mixed the bass too loud.

I always end up voting for Mostess, and I see no reason why this week should be any different.

deshead:
Thanks for the feedback and comments, and for Sarah too. There's no one else I'd rather harmonize with.

nicegeoff wrote:5 out of 19 songs had fade-outs.
Are fade-outs verboten?

Future Boy wrote:Ugh, pop-country with auto-tune. No, no, and no!
Um, auto-tune?

J$ wrote:I appreciate that this doesn't really make sense ... I just heard the voice and thought 'that would make a really good folk voice'
Actually, that cleared it up for me. Thanks for the feedback.

abecedarian wrote:It’s a little hard to catch the verse lyrics. No one :idea: me like you do?
"No one holds me like you do."

Just curious: was there something in the mix that made it hard to hear?

Jack Shite wrote:and the kick drum is barely noticeable
Do you mean the slap of the kick drum? All I hear is kick drum, albeit the bottom end.

Your comment made me wonder if maybe my listening environment is bass heavy, especially with our different takes on State Shirt's song. But then I see tonetripper and dre agree with me about State Shirt's mix, and I don't know any more.

dre wrote:and you sound like an American and not a Canadian.
You should hear me when I drink.
Stevie Windsor
A New Player

Post by Stevie Windsor »

Bell Green Nice verse melody, perhaps repeated once too often. I kept thinking it was going to build to something more then it ever did, Clipped ending

Liechty Starts with a very uninteresting bass line but gets a little better with cool electronica and vocal sounds but not too much else.

Pigpen Another in a similar style but a lot less interesting. Its not very compelling and far too long for me. Repetitive snare drum gets annoying

Eddie Bangs Sorry. I haven’t got RealPlayer or Quicktime so I can’t listen to it.

Scott Faris This would have made an okay intro for a song but doesn’t really stand out on its own. Are instrumentals okay in this fight?

Deshead I’d push the vocal level up a little bit as they get a bit smothered by the guitars. The song is a little bit predictable and you know where it’s all going to go but despite that I love it, especially the vocals. Its just right for a Sunday morning review.

Edge Of LA Par for the course but a bit too cliched and generic.

State Shirt Cool 80’s U2 vibe, mid section is fantastic. At 5 minutes maybe a little too long, but the most enjoyable tune so far.

Likely Lads Ok but lacklustre 70s pop punk, guitar and drums could be better

Carol Cleveland Best intro of the fight. Great dynamics and energy. Only song in the fight that could have benefited from being longer then it was.

Hostess Mostess The vocals make the song sound a little better then it is. I actually preferred this on the first listen to the second when it became too repetitive

Ants (Invisible) In a long fight like this I appreciate the odd short song.

Lemon Songs There’s a good idea waiting to come out here and I’m partial to the eastern scales you use but its too quiet and just seems to meander its way though to the end.

15-16 puzzle I ‘m not too keen on the voice and I really dislike the vocals that come abruptly in at the end, but other then that a well constructed song.

Max the Cat Great vocal stylings but too much of a novelty for me to want to listen again.

Andre Was Here At Midnight … Heard enough. Next!

Abecedarian Ok tune. Nothing really to comment on here.

Jordan Yaruss A pleasant enough pop tune, a minute shorter though please.

BeWells And another pleasant pop tune.

Motor Monkeys (us) We rushed doing the vocals to get the song out and the lyrics need rewriting, and the mix is too muddy. Aggh! Next time, Next time…

There was a lot of 'ok' songs here but the only 3 I would want to listen to again..

1. State Shirt (vote)
2. Deshead
3. Carol Cleveland Sings
Jordan
A New Player

Post by Jordan »

Wow, I guess I ended up on the list after all. Thanks God of Songfight!

Thanks for your comments. This one was definitely a less-electronic departure for me.

Yeah, I got a lot of "too long" comments, and I agree. I actually have a revised (<2 1/2 minutes) version on Somesongs, if you care to listen:

http://www.somesongs.com/song_info.php?select=3300

Thanks again.
My website. Now with 10% more gumption. That's a whole slightly lot!
Jordan
A New Player

Post by Jordan »

God damn just lost half my reviews...gonna just go through these quick. Sorry.

As usual, I didn't read other reviews yet, so sorry if I'm repeating comments already made.

15-16 Puzzle
Like the minimalism. Like the song and great chord changes.

Abedarian
Another cool minimal instrumentation. Nice mandolins. Good one.

Andrew Was Here...
Reminds me of Syd Barret. Not so hot on the lyrics. The minimalism doesn't work as well in this one, maybe because of the repetitiveness (I'm one to talk this week!)

Ants Invisible
Your vocals and writing remind me of Van Dyke Parks (That's a good complement). Argh! Keep going!

Bell Green
Like the deadpan delivery. Love how the droopy synth sound mixes with the acoustic guitar.

The BeWells
Like the deep vocals. Good song, but something's not quite jelling in the instrumental track for me. Hard to put into words, but it just feels like separate instruments ingredients rather than one musical...um...stew. Or something.

Carol Cleveland Sings
How do you make it sound so "big?" Love the really fast banged out piano chords on the chorus. Nice use of dynamics. Excellent.

Deshead
So purty. Lovely singing. Especially the female vocals. Sung and recorded really well. Feels very intimate, like she's whispering in my ear. Beautiful recording all around. Not a style I would usually go for, but I really enjoyed this.

Eddie Bangs
Funky Beatles. Great vocals and harmonies. Cool.

Edge of LA
60's rock meets grunge. A cool mix. The vocals are well-performed, but sound a bit muddy. Most of the drums are cool, but occasionally (16th notes, tambourine) sounds sequenced. Good.

Hostess Mostess
I like the falsetto vocals. Builds and falls nicely over the course of the song. Sequenced drums feel a bit stiff at times. That little plinky guitar part doesn't quite work for me. Overall, good.

Jordan Yaruss
Me. See my previous post for link to revised version, if you want.

Lemon Songs
I like the song, but the recording is somewhat weak. Like everything was recorded ten feet from the microphone. This is another one where the minimalism actually works. Kinda eerie sound. Could certainly do with another part though.

The Likely Lads
This has my foot a-tappin'. Always pleasant to hear real drums. (wish I could have a kit in my apartment!) This is nice, but not really grabbing me. I'm wishing for something unusual to catch me ear. Not bad, though.

Macher Liechty
S'okay. The backing track isn't really doing anything for me. This kinda thing has to be exceedingly well-done for me to get into it.

Max the Cat
This is totally disturbing. Evil Muppets? Can't wait to see the video.

Motor Monkeys
Well, you've combined my two least-favorite Songfight genres (metal and whiteboy rap), so I'm not sure my comments would be so helpful here. This just ain't my thang.

PiGPEN
Backing track isn't doing much for me. Drums are loud and the rest is quiet. Vocals feel kinda tired. Not for me.

Scott Faris
I have nothing against instrumentals, but this feels like it's waiting for vocals. Some cool guitar work.

State Shirt
Nice track, although it sounds a bit distorted (overcompressed?) Well-performed vocals. Besides the distortion, I like the mix, with the drums right up front like that.

-------------
Carol Cleveland Sings, numbah one
Deshead, a real close second
Max the Cat, third, for sheer strangeness
13hugh
A New Player

Post by 13hugh »

Cheers all, thanks for those who took the time to listen to me, I've had a couple of favourable reviews, and the critisisms have been fair. That was my first attempt at recording, and notwithstanding a number of practical problems, I’m just not very good, yet. I’m satisfied with the song, if not the recording, it’s about the best I could do in the time.

I’m pretty sure I’ve nothing worthwhile to say about everyone else’s songs, my vote’s going to Max the Cat, pure class. It will be interesting to see what you make of my next song, a few of you will think it’s a complete waste of time, but I’m happy that it won’t sound like anything anyone else enters, which is good enough for me. If you’re prone to take all songs seriously, then you’d do better avoiding it.

Cheers
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

13hugh wrote: If you’re prone to take all songs seriously, then you’d do better avoiding it.
No excuses, man. Don't give me that cheesy 'we make music for ourselves - if the kids like it, it's a bonus' line. :)

Actually for me, it's not about whether I take your song seriously or not, it's about whether you take your song seriously, no matter how 'out there' it might sound. If I can hear (or think I can hear) that it means nothing to you, don't expect it to mean anything to anyone else. Alternatively if I can hear or think I can hear you're expressing yourself to the best of your imagination, I don't have to like the genre to like the song ...

[having said that, as I said in my reviews, I liked your song immensely this time round, and came this close to voting for it, before plumping for 15-16 Puzzle]
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

so, hi people. it's been a long time since i've done any reviews, and i didn't have anything better to do tonight so here is my witty commentary with additional remarks by my girlfriend asya.

15-16 puzzle - the intro sounds cool; when the singing comes in it doesn't really match up with the intro bit so much, but it's pretty cool on its own.
sounds like the beginning of a song--like the unplugged intro part, and i keep expecting something else to come in. it seems like it's lacking something--drums or bass or *something*, but these vocals sound good. this is something i'd listen to... it has a nice tone to it.

abecedarian - i'm wondering whether this is done on a mandolin you made? the music sounds really cool... i dig the singing quite a bit but it seems kinda unsure or tentative in places.
i like the chorus part a lot. i think the the mandolin should be a little louder, more accented or intense, and it would complement your voice better. the singing should be a bit louder too. as it is i can imagine robert smith singing this -- it seems like this song lends itself to a more depressing voice.

ants (invisible) - are you jim of seattle's brother? starts out pretty cool.. the umm outro? (the second half of the song, i mean) sounds kind of questionable as to what key(s) the vocals and instruments are in....
i thought it sounded kinda frank sinatra-ish at the beginning, but then... (makes a funny face) i dunno. it wasn't horrible, but, i wonder how long it took to write that?

andre was here at midnight - i get the impression that a lot of these lyrics, and the melody, were basically improvised... by a half-drunk dude.
what's wrong with being fucking queer? and the background is like the same three chords over and over and over...

bell green - the lyrics are pretty interesting but i think you say 'fell out of the sky' too many times. the vocals sound rather flat and emotionless.
this is my favourite one so far. i really like the tone of your voice, it fits with the background music really well. and reminds me of the guy from for squirrels -- you should totally check out their song "mighty kc".

the bewells - starts out sounding cool. when the drums start they sound a little awkward but then it gets much better. the vocals are really buried and tough to understand. the harmony vocal parts sound great though, when i can hear them.
i like how this sounds a lot but i don't like these vocals with this music... i'm not really a fan of really deep singing to begin with, but especially in this context it doesn't really match. and you have to really pay attention or you miss a lot of words. as far as i can decipher it, this is really well-written, and the chorus is really good.

carol cleveland sings - you, sir, are insane. and i mean that in the most respectful and loving way possible.
too peppy, sounds like a brady kids song. how much ritalin do you take a day? this seems like it'd fit in a ultra-happy positive musical revue thing.. "up with hope, down with dope" or something like that :D

deshead - these vocals are rather good, WHY won't you let me hear them?? the music is pretty great too, mostly.
the chick's voice is kind of irritating to my ears -- it's just too quiet and breathy-sounding... the arrangement is really pretty though.

eddiebangs - we've already heard this on somesongs and rated it there, and i put some comments there. so i'm lazy, go read what i said there. i still dig this an awful lot. also i like the ending -- the spring reverb-sounding stuff.
these words are very clever, and they tell a cute story. it's a cute song. good imagery, kinda weird, kinda cool. the chorus is awesome.

edge of la - the guitar seems a bit whingey.. the vocals a bit too reverby..
sounds like you're trying to do punk music but you forgot to grow a pair...

hostess mostess - i still have yet to hear a HoMo song i don't like. i'm really digging on the arrangement of all the different parts, it sounds really complex if you try to analyse it but not to the point where it distracts your attention while listening to it -- it all just flows together really well.
your voice is awesome. you really remind me of the singer from this canadian band called the watchmen; i totally love his voice too. i really like this. the arrangement is really pretty. i like (the part from 1:45-2:00) a lot.

lemon songs - you've got some cool melodies and stuff in here probably, but maybe a little bit more volume would help? like, actually a LOT more volume. on everything. and getting the percussion and guitar rhythms together a bit tighter. also it would help for something else to come in -- some distorted guitars or something -- to add some variation to the song.
i can't hear a single thing you've said, aside from "fell out of the sky." the music's really repetitive.

jordan yaruss - i like the interlude bit (or chorus possibly?) -- the piano-based part without the ultra-repetitive guitar groove -- is kinda neat. otherwise this is too much of the same thing over and over. and i rarely pay attention to lyrics, but these are distractingly lousy.
these lyrics are sooo cheesy, and the song itself is sooo repetitive. sounds like a pop cover of a bad country song. also, can you say "restraining order"?

the likely lads - the beginning (lyrically) sounds too derivative of "friends in low places" ... the singing sounds pretty good at first, but kinda gets on my nerves. "i don't belong to the methadone"?
sounds like one of those classic rock songs that everyone's heard but nobody really knows -- very forgettable.

macher liechty - this is decently put together i guess but the vocals are really poorly done... actually a lot about this song is poorly done.
(no comment)

max the cat - i really love the willy wonka style music, and man oh man the lyrics are pretty hilarious.
i totally want to adopt this cat. that was creepy, but highly amusing.

motor monkeys - starts out pretty weird, i wasn't sure i'd like it, and when the vocals came in i was really unsure, but the guitar that comes in right after the vocals is pretty awesome, and stays good throughout. the chorus vocals are great, and the other voice really grew on me, even though i didn't really understand pretty much anything either of them said.
didn't really like it, kinda tuned it out.

pigpen - the backing track is really quiet and indistinct. there really isn't much to this. and that being the case, i think it's asking a lot to expect somebody to listen to all four and a half minutes of this.
just because you put a whole bunch of random rhyming words together doesn't really make it a rap song. the whole point of rap is to tell a story. and there really isn't a chorus or anything, the whole thing here is all the exact same tone the whole time.

scott faris - sooooooo... fell out of the sky, eh?
i like the sound of the intro but it goes on too long. please tell me this has words... WOW, is this repetitive.

state shirt - sounds great as usual, but doesn't really grab my attention like some of your previous songs have. i'm totally with asya about the going nuts bit. like the ending part should have added about seven hundred different percussion parts all blended together.
definitely sounds like it's influenced by old U2. not bad, but kinda generic. (the bridge bit, after 3:00) should have been much faster, like you should've gone nuts, and then ended it real softly -- like all the noise stops and just your voice and a piano or something doing a pretty little outro thing.

[edit: we're voting for eddie. asya says she's kind of torn between him and hostess mostess, but it's my computer :wink:]
13hugh
A New Player

Post by 13hugh »

j$ wrote:No excuses, man. Don't give me that cheesy 'we make music for ourselves - if the kids like it, it's a bonus' line. :)
Fair cop guv'

Having said that I was just having some fun, I wrote & recorded the song yesterday with a mate who came over for a rum-soaked weekend. Fell out of the sky I took seriously, I'm glad you liked it, the song I feel a little protective of, but the recording, well, I'm a learner.

As for expressing myself, I used to think it was what I was here for, but now, to be frank its all self indulgence, I've listened to me for years, and I've got nothing to say ;o)

You've a pretty little ditty yourself, couldn't get my vote though, I'm a sucker for the bizzare.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

1: scott f, 1516, bellg, state shirt, bewells, eddie, carolc, hostess, ants, yaruss, deshead
2: motormonkeys, edge, abec, liechty, lemon

these ants songs make me think of jim of seattle. this week's song segued beautifully into yaruss's.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Edge of LA
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Edge of LA »

Congrats SS! Again, this was a great fight with so many noteable submissions!

\m/
stateshirt
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: state shirt

Post by stateshirt »

Dammit what a great fight this week. My faves were CCS (that fucking ruled) and Hostess Mostess (reminds me of Toad the Wet Sprocket -- I love Toad the Wet Sprocket).

Thanks for the votes. Next fight I'll be sure to turn off my super-bass-distorto-filter.

:idea:
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
yth
A New Player
Submitting as: revel yth

Post by yth »

hostess mostess:
what an excellent song.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

kwillema wrote:so good
Glad you liked it, though I wasn't thinking of TMBG when I wrote it.
13hugh
A New Player

Post by 13hugh »

How stoked am I!? Four votes, I was looking forward to treasuring my zero. ah, but this week......
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

yth wrote:hostess mostess:
what an excellent song.
there’s defiantly something wrong with the voting system when Hostess Mostess get only 2 more votes than awham…
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

HeuristicsInc wrote:these ants songs make me think of jim of seattle.
-bill
Ok, so it's not just me.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

tviyh wrote:ants (invisible) - are you jim of seattle's brother?
Gazelles wrote:Ok, so it's not just me.
Jordan
A New Player

Post by Jordan »

Wow! Who the crap voted for me? Was expecting a bagel on this one.
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

dre wrote: there’s defiantly something wrong with the voting system when Hostess Mostess get only 2 more votes than awham…
Nope. There's something right with the universe when StateShirt wins.

I obviously need to learn how to make fake drumming less robotic if I'm going to get more votes for this stuff. I was over my head in 7/4 time, and I got the title wrong. But fear not: we're working on "Prep School" in 7/16 + 5/16 time. No fake drums this time.

And Andre Was Here At Midnight's "Fell Out Of The Sky" would have been a very popular song when I was in prep school.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
spacedog
A New Player

Post by spacedog »

just have to say that i've had state shirt's song on repeat all week. i'm totally diggin' it, although i'd like to hear it at CD quality. doesn't sound like pet shop boys to me.
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

Mostess wrote:
dre wrote: there’s defiantly something wrong with the voting system when Hostess Mostess get only 2 more votes than awham…
Nope. There's something right with the universe when StateShirt wins.

I obviously need to learn how to make fake drumming less robotic if I'm going to get more votes for this stuff. I was over my head in 7/4 time, and I got the title wrong. But fear not: we're working on "Prep School" in 7/16 + 5/16 time. No fake drums this time.

And Andre Was Here At Midnight's "Fell Out Of The Sky" would have been a very popular song when I was in prep school.
In my opinion, your song would've been FANTASTIC if it weren't for the drums. I could tell the song itself was great, but the drums were gawdy and out of place and just...ick. I'm glad you're submitting next week without fake drums.