songs - violence against women

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

songs - violence against women

Post by king_arthur »

Hey -

I'm talking with a guy at school about doing some music for a "Violence Against Women" event sometime in March. Very tentative at this point, but... wondering if any of our songfighters have songs on the subject that might be appropriate for me to sing. Doesn't have to be songfight stuff; strong lyrical content a plus. And I shouldn't even have to say this, but... umm, they're pretty much against violence against women, so pro-VAW stuff would be kinda inappropriate for this particular event, okay???

Anyway... if anyone has any suggestions, songfight or otherwise, let me know. Anything I learn for the event, I'll try to do a hxaro version for you as well...

Thanks,
Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I have a song, 'The Devil was My Bridesmaid' which I wrote a few years back, about violence against women, sung from a woman's point of view 'Please don't hit me any more / is this what we got married for?' &c - it may not be appropriate singing it in public, because it's more about the awful situation rather than specifically empowering, but if you want I can record a demo for you to hear ...

j$
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Seems like Eminem and early blues would be just right, given that the name is perfectly descriptive of the exact opposite of their goals.

And that Billie Holliday song, "If my man beats me to a pulp, ain't nobody's business..."
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward

Post by joshw »

My "Hey Ruth" and "The Pawnbroker's Stepdaughter" deal with that.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Thanks, Josh - this is sort of thing I'm looking for. I'll PM you with a couple of questions, but this works.

Anybody else have any songs on the topic? Songfight songs or otherwise... I'd like to have a few things to show the person who's organizing the music for this.

Thanks!
Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Hold on, is this a pro-violence against women kind of thing?

Goodbye Monster

:roll:
🤠
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Re: songs - violence against women

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

king_arthur wrote:I shouldn't even have to say this, but... umm, they're pretty much against violence against women, so pro-VAW stuff would be kinda inappropriate for this particular event, okay???
I'm back.
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

I'd like to say that I've always been a big supporter of violence against women and would love to be able to help out in the cause.

While I'm at it I'd like to take a moment to promote my other big cause, so join with me if you know the words. WHITE! POWER! WHITE! POWER!

We will be burning puppies at noon. BYOB.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Ha, ha, ha.

Just wanted to send a public thanks to Josh Woodward - I did your "Hey Ruth" as one of my two songs for this, thanks for letting me use it. I'm readying a hxaro version of the song for you, but I'm letting a friend mix it down (he works a lot harder on making good mixes than I do :-) I'll let you know when it's ready.

Charles
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »