SF in SF: 2010

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
Jefff
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: PPV
Pronouns: he/him

Re: SF in SF: 2010

Post by Jefff »

We'll see if I can change my return flight from visiting Chris in LA to come back a week later and from San Francisco. If so, I'm in.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

That would be AWESOME.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Minty: Awesome!
Jeff: Awesome!
inevitableguy
Mean Street
Instruments: Stuff with strings, vocals, poor drum machine programming
Recording Method: Roland VS-1880
Submitting as: Naked Philosophy

Post by inevitableguy »

I was thinking about flying in on Wednesday the 14th and out on Monday the 19th, but I still need to buy plane tickets. I'm wondering when people are planning on arriving and leaving - what are the other out-of-towners thinking?
==========================================
Naked Philosophy, The Tedward Nixon Experience
"Brilliant and disastrous at almost the exact same time" - Melvin
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

I just booked my flight. Arriving after 5PM on Wednesday and leaving Tuesday morning.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I think it'd be fun to hear a bunch of the "old timers" (e.g. frankie, Add, JB, Octothorpe, fluffy, Hoblit, etc.) perform entries from an old fight, in honor of this being the 10th SF! Live. Some candidate fights for that are "Red Robot", "Listen Close", "Birds Of Our Own", "Firecrackers", "Is It Cold", and probably others from 2001. It may not be fun for the performers to revisit really old songs they may not like any more, but as an audience member and long time listener, I'd get a kick out of it. ;)
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I usually pull out my old-school cred card by performing I LOVE YOU. I've wanted to do Birds Of Our Own live at some point.

I actually wrote a "Firecrackers" but I never got around to recording it because it was retarded. (I know, that didn't stop me normally back then, but...) I'll have to see if I still have the lyrics around anywhere. Although my never-finished My Sister would probably be more fun, except it's actually about my sister and she will be in the audience, so PROBABLY NOT.

Oh, come to think of it, I also wrote (and never recorded) a Red Robot.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Rereading my post I don't think I quite explained what I meant very well. I was thinking of how cool it might be if a bunch of folks played their songs from the same old fight from 2001 or something. So rather than everybody just playing a different old song, they'd all play "Red Robot", for example,, so it would be like recreating a good chunk of that or some other old fight, live in 2010. Kind of like the way bands are doing tours now focused on specific records (e,g. The Pixies and "Doolittle").
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I understood what you meant, yeah. That's how the SFLive events used to be run in their entirety, since there was a lot of overlap between artists and their songs. Seattle was the last time we tried to do that for the whole night, though; it was just barely too big for that to work, and for Austin it became artist-set-based instead.

I was listing my songs because even us old-timers don't have a lot of overlap in the archives. I was trying to think of songs I'd written but hadn't recorded specifically to try to match up on that.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Wow, you used to try to do that for the whole night? Hm, maybe now that you mention it I remember seeing a description of that format on the site for one of the old live shows. That sounds like it must have been tough even back then. I would settle for just one song. It looked like there was a lot of overlap in 2001 for many of the attendees who were participating in SF! back then, which is why I keep mentioning that year as an example.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff

Lunkhead wrote:Wow, you used to try to do that for the whole night? Hm, maybe now that you mention it I remember seeing a description of that format on the site for one of the old live shows. That sounds like it must have been tough even back then. I would settle for just one song. It looked like there was a lot of overlap in 2001 for many of the attendees who were participating in SF! back then, which is why I keep mentioning that year as an example.
It was fucking awesome. It was my absolute favorite thing about SF Live in the early days. We would make a giant list of songs and tape it to the wall. The audience would call out a song ("Red Robot!"), we'd figure out who had a song by that title, each of us would play it in succession and then the audience would vote by applause for their favorite, thereby preserving the Fight in SongFight even in a concert setting. We tried to coordinate our sets prior to the show so that their were several good opportunities for live fights. If someone showed up with just one or two songs, we'd let them play in between the fights and I think we also had kind of an open section at the end for all artists to present their non-competitive (for lack of a better word) songs. It was a lot of fun, but there are too many songs and artists now to make it work. However, I would be up for it if you wanted to coordinate one. Bad Dreams was an awesome fight and Ken, ADD, JB, Hoblit, # and I all have songs from that fight. I'm sure there are others.
inevitableguy
Mean Street
Instruments: Stuff with strings, vocals, poor drum machine programming
Recording Method: Roland VS-1880
Submitting as: Naked Philosophy

Post by inevitableguy »

The point of no return has been reached...flight is booked. I come in on Wednesday, out on Monday.
Naked Philosophy, The Tedward Nixon Experience
"Brilliant and disastrous at almost the exact same time" - Melvin
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

Reading the descriptions of past live events, I once again regret very much that I can't make it to these events. I hope that at some point in the future it will work out.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Can somebody remind me of the etiquette about non-Song Fight! songs at Song Fight! Live again please? Is that OK? Or not OK? I can't remember.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Generally it's okay as long as they're something Song Fight-related and not covers, although Octothorpe usually does Little Guns by Oingo Boingo as part of the set. So basically just remember that it's a Song Fight event and act accordingly.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

For the record, my planned setlist has two Songfight songs, two Nur Ein songs, and two songs that don't have anything to do with Songfight. I didn't assume there'd be any problems, though I suppose someone could jump out and tell me otherwise now.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man

Just play whatever you want.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

In Santa Cruz, we played 3 songfight songs and one other original (pickles and ice cream) which should have been a songfight song, given the great title. Nobody bitched us out.

speaking of brody, I've got 3/4 committed. just got to work on the fourth.

given the number of bands, i'm guessing it will be a one night or the other thing. if possible, can i request we play at Mojito?
Hi!
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I thought Brody was a duo?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Generic wrote:I thought Brody was a duo?
Well, technically, you are correct. brody is a duo (me and Eric) supported sometimes live by our friends Mark and Chris. All the brody Song Fight! stuff was written and done by me and Eric, occasionally helped by friends.

Eric, Mark, Chris, and I played in a band (squirmer) for many years before Song Fight! or brody. brody is like a bastard stepchild of squirmer.

Chris and Mark backed us up at Song Fight! Live Santa Cruz. This was the closer, a Chris original and apparently a favorite of Sam's. :)

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZRhwI9WTcdw&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZRhwI9WTcdw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

oh, and I just got the 4th to commit. all in.
Hi!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Just a month to go!
irwin
Mean Street
Instruments: insecurity
Recording Method: scotch
Submitting as: suckweasel, kasper, nutwalls

Post by irwin »

Lunkhead wrote:Just a month to go!
Oh shit. I guess I should start practicing.
"Ouch. I wonder if this guy sounds like this when he speaks." -- Puce