Deals On Gear and Software

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
grumpymike
Marmoset
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Re: Deals On Gear and Software

Post by grumpymike » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:42 pm

I’m very tempted to get some of their other voice packages. I got Voices if Soul and love it. It’s basically the only thing out there for that kind of singing. Anyone used their phrase building in the chorus packages?
jast
Loris
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: REAPER, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger

Post by jast » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 am

I think the audio demos are enough to judge how well the phrasing works - if not how complicated it is to build phrases with their software. :)

- Hollywood Choirs sound decent enough to get some basic choir-type sound in the background, but they sound kind of boring and too "uniform" if that makes any sense. The phrase transitions don't work for me at all, and if you put the choir in the foreground I think it's way too obvious.
- Symphonic Choirs has a better choir sound to my ears but the phrasing still sounds rather synthetic.
- The packages oriented more towards solo singing work better for me in terms of how the phrases sound.
most of my music
Song Fight-related stuff I host: ZIP archives // Circle of Titles
jast
Loris

Post by jast » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:10 am

Black friday deals at iZotope: Elements bundle $49 (Ozone, Neutron, Nectar, RX and others, 93% off!), Music Production Suite 3 $499 (~50% off) and others (but these are the most aggressively priced ones). Sale probably going until 6 Dec.

PS. Celemony is running a sale on Melodyne: "essential" 50% off, most upgrades 50% off (upgrade essential -> assistant 66% off). Valid until 3 Dec ("essential") / 31 Dec (upgrades).
most of my music
owl
Tamarin
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:14 pm

Crazy good deal on music-related books: "Making Music by Wiley" Humble Bundle--for $15, you get 21 e-books, mostly the "___ for Dummies" series, including books about guitar (multiple), piano/keyboard (multiple), drums, home recording, bass, banjo, songwriting, mandolin, singing, fiddle, guitar amps and effects, DJing, Pro Tools, Logic, ukulele, and harmonica...

I like physical books for stuff like this, but I also don't have room for all of these as physical copies, so it's just as well they're e-books, I guess!

I think I bought the Ukulele for Dummies book at some point before (written by the guy who does ukehunt.com) and have checked out the guitar one from the library and they were both quite good. Lots of basic info and fundamentals, which is what I'd definitely want for some of these I don't know anything about, like drums or mandolin, and they come with CDs (or in this case, downloadable audio files).

Plus you can designate a portion of the proceeds to go to charity (Musicians On Call).
crumpart
Marmoset
Instruments: Proficient??? Erm. Guitar, violin, recorder.
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:03 am

owl wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:14 pm
Crazy good deal on music-related books: "Making Music by Wiley" Humble Bundle--for $15, you get 21 e-books, mostly the "___ for Dummies" series, including books about guitar (multiple), piano/keyboard (multiple), drums, home recording, bass, banjo, songwriting, mandolin, singing, fiddle, guitar amps and effects, DJing, Pro Tools, Logic, ukulele, and harmonica...

I like physical books for stuff like this, but I also don't have room for all of these as physical copies, so it's just as well they're e-books, I guess!

I think I bought the Ukulele for Dummies book at some point before (written by the guy who does ukehunt.com) and have checked out the guitar one from the library and they were both quite good. Lots of basic info and fundamentals, which is what I'd definitely want for some of these I don't know anything about, like drums or mandolin, and they come with CDs (or in this case, downloadable audio files).

Plus you can designate a portion of the proceeds to go to charity (Musicians On Call).
And purchased. Thank you!
grumpymike
Marmoset
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:18 am

FXPansion has 40% off
BFD3 is $209

IMO it’s the most realistic and best sounding drum VSTi
ujnhunter
Loris
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:33 pm

Nembrini Audio has all their plugins at 70% off. Neural DSP has all of their Guitar/Bass Amp software at 30-50% off depending on how much you buy... i.e. buy more save more. Toontrack has some Black Week sales as well...
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
jast
Loris

Post by jast » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:10 am

VST Buzz is doing a Black Friday sale (going for another 12 days as of now) on 26 plugins and bundles.
Particularly interesting IMO: Orchestral Bundle by Aria Sounds. For €67/£58.25/$75.99 excl. VAT (90% off)

This requires a full version of NI Kontakt 4 (5 for the harp)!
You get the following sampled instruments, ordered by interestingness according to me:
- solo strings bundle
- pipe organ with 5 pedal stops and 17 swell stops
- Hybrichord, an experimental piano where you can go to town altering the sound (including extreme changes)
- Celtic harp (3 dynamics levels sampled at 9 variations each)
- Bansuri and Xiao flute
- A bunch of percussion libraries
- Fazioli concert grand

EDIT: despite what it says on the page, I also got some of the other instruments from Aria Sounds as part of this bundle:
- Solo French horn
- Classical guitarist
- The pan pipes from the ethnic winds bundle

So I guess this bundle contains everything from Aria Sounds except the choir.

@grumpymike: thanks for letting me know about the BFD sale, I've been waiting for one...
most of my music