9th Annual Gift of Music

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Re: 9th Annual Gift of Music

Post by BBABM »

On a side note: something that I have been thinking since I decided to do this song. Tim Buckley sings "I'm as puzzled as a newborn child/ I'm as riddled as the tide", arguably the most famous line in the song, and a beautiful image of confused wonderment... However, all I can think to say is "Tim, you just ate so much acid you have no idea where we even are right now"... That's all
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Sorry folks, forgot to send last night. I will be sending it late tonight to Anti-M (after a trip to the The-ATRE, darlings)
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Wow! Talk about spoiled. Not only did I not get stiffed, I got TWO great gifts! Thanks so much to the wondeful team that makes up The Real Sign . I love the updated and fresh menace of Action Strasse. I didn't know that anyone would take it on for being too...somethng. But what a delight. It could serve in a monster movie or something. And there's no way that I would've predicted such a melancholy version of The Kids Are alright. Beautiful, and such a bold and effective angle to take on this. The bridge offers some hope, but it really feels as though the girl is gone in this. Wonderful support whether keys, voice, or some blend of the two. And a mournful sax to boot. I am pleased beyond belief and now feel indebted somehow! Thanks a ton! :)
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
signboy
Mean Street
Instruments: things that make noise
Recording Method: lots of stuff plugged into lots of other stuff

Post by signboy »

glad you liked them, Paco! both were a blast to do.
Irwin: I'd sell my soul to jesus to program drums like signboy.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

First trivia question of the GOM: Which songwriter is represented TWICE in the entries currently turned in?
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

Ima guess this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Reis

EDIT: Which reminds me... did Rocket From the Crypt intentionally pick a similar name to Rocket From the Tombs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_from_the_Tombs
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
Billy's Little Trip wrote:
fluffy wrote:(I kinda feel sorry for whoever got me. .... Japanese-language songs from video game soundtracks.)
I would have changed them to Engrish and had no synthy nonsense. Just drums and distorted guitars.
i think you should do this anyway if fluffy's gifter did not pick that song.
-bill
note: i was bein' disingenuous. i knew exactly which song fluffy's gifter was picking :)

Denni, so I guess I introduced you to Ladytron? Glad to help! I just went back and re-read all the gushing in that post :)
I like your cover, nicely different from the original. Moody. Might be neat to do an alternate version/remix that has a real heavy part at the end. Thanks! An unexpected treat - not the song I thought would be covered.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

anti-m wrote:Ima guess this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Reis

EDIT: Which reminds me... did Rocket From the Crypt intentionally pick a similar name to Rocket From the Tombs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_from_the_Tombs

Yes and Yes.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Well apparently first time didn't post ... sent to Anti-M but in the meantime ...

Here you go, Kaspar, Balham and I make music hall reggae out of The Cure's "Pictures Of You" done for your pleasure (well,ours mainly, but if you're along for the ride, there's cake for everyone)

http://www.johnnycashpoint.com/songs/abjc_poy.mp3

j$
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Thank you Mike for your awesome cover! I'm curious why you picked "Done", since your style would lend itself to "She's My Baby" perhaps. This of course is nothing at all like the original, which makes it really cool. And great guitar solo. I'm trying to get hold of the original artist. She's very young (18 when she recorded Done) and I'm sure would be thrilled to hear what you've done with it. I'll let you know if I get in touch with her. Thanks again!
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
anti-m
Ice Cream Man

Post by anti-m »

j$ wrote:Well apparently first time didn't post ... sent to Anti-M but in the meantime ...

Here you go, Kaspar, Balham and I make music hall reggae out of The Cure's "Pictures Of You" done for your pleasure (well,ours mainly, but if you're along for the ride, there's cake for everyone)

http://www.johnnycashpoint.com/songs/abjc_poy.mp3

j$
It's up there! I am fast like ninja.

Edit: Also -- WHERE'S MY SONG??? /wahmbulance.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Thanks, Anti-M! (though it still feels strangely like I am cheating on Eddie.)

Also: Where's MY song?? Helicopt-wah
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i thought if you got stiffed i'd try a go at the wire cover... but not in february.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
anti-m
Ice Cream Man

Post by anti-m »

j$ wrote:Thanks, Anti-M! (though it still feels strangely like I am cheating on Eddie.)

I was about to embark on an ill advised extension of the cheating metaphor, but on second thought I'd best not go there. ;)

But if it makes you feel any better, I will have my pages "jump out the bedroom window" whenever Eddie eventually returns.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

j$ wrote:Thanks, Anti-M! (though it still feels strangely like I am cheating on Eddie.)

The person doing your song has contacted me and saying they're having a bit of difficulty but it'll be out soon.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Tin Whistle
Recording Method: Reason
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM

Post by Mike Lamb »

j$ wrote:Here you go, Kaspar, Balham and I make music hall reggae out of The Cure's "Pictures Of You" done for your pleasure (well,ours mainly, but if you're along for the ride, there's cake for everyone)
This is awesome, I love it! Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever imagined a reggae cover of Pictures of You, but somehow you pulled it off wonderfully and really made it your own. Thanks!
"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Tin Whistle
Recording Method: Reason
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM

Post by Mike Lamb »

Jim of Seattle wrote:Thank you Mike for your awesome cover! I'm curious why you picked "Done", since your style would lend itself to "She's My Baby" perhaps. This of course is nothing at all like the original, which makes it really cool. And great guitar solo. I'm trying to get hold of the original artist. She's very young (18 when she recorded Done) and I'm sure would be thrilled to hear what you've done with it. I'll let you know if I get in touch with her. Thanks again!
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I chose "Done" because I liked the track so much. I found a couple of her songs on myspace, which I also liked. I was really hoping she might have more stuff available. I'd love to hear what she has to say about it, and please feel free to offer my services if she ever needs a guitar or bass player. :-)

Incidentally, I found this song a lot harder than I anticipated to cover. I toyed with a zillion ideas, but it was tough to come up with something that didn't sound exactly like the original but played with a different instrument (I can't play piano at all. :)
"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Perhaps there should be a second phase to GoM every year, in which people volunteer to do a second song for someone who got stiffed.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Jim: Ross has organized a stiffee committee in years past, and he, myself, and others, gave the love. I'm guessing that Ross will be busy this year with FAWM. No great organizer of such things, am I, but I will gladly give a gift if someone wants to run the ship.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I want to commend everyone. This has been a bit of a rocky, shaky GOM but we ended up with a lot of great tunes. (and a thanks to Anti-M for this Meanwhile GOM)

Song Love!
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

HeuristicsInc wrote: Denni, so I guess I introduced you to Ladytron? Glad to help! I just went back and re-read all the gushing in that post :)
I like your cover, nicely different from the original. Moody. Might be neat to do an alternate version/remix that has a real heavy part at the end. Thanks! An unexpected treat - not the song I thought would be covered.
-bill
You were my Ladytron introduction. I had a really good day just following links as I went through your tunes. I almost went with 'Strange Overtones.' I actually started to record something for it, but it was not coalescing.

Am in full agreement with you on the end needing something more. I think the lot could do with more presence, but especially at the end. It is actually upon my list, as I am still working on layering and fine-tuneage.
But I am pleased that you liked it. :)
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Mike Lamb wrote:
j$ wrote:Here you go, Kaspar, Balham and I make music hall reggae out of The Cure's "Pictures Of You" done for your pleasure (well,ours mainly, but if you're along for the ride, there's cake for everyone)
This is awesome, I love it! Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever imagined a reggae cover of Pictures of You, but somehow you pulled it off wonderfully and really made it your own. Thanks!
Glad you liked it, Mike! Oddly, I've never really enjoyed POY as much as other Cure songs, but doing it gave me a lot of pleasure and I discovered some new love for it, so thanks for putting it up there. It still takes *far* too long to reach the singing though :)