9th Annual Gift of Music

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: 9th Annual Gift of Music

Post by Caravan Ray »

PACO!

That is awesome!

Not my gifter - but good as!

If I had had drawn that song - of course I would have done it - but I now think to myself - how would I have done it? I would not have thought of that. That is so cool.

I am going to copy you and do that that way solo g.n.g next open mic night.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

RangerDenni wrote:
HeuristicsInc wrote: Denni, so I guess I introduced you to Ladytron? Glad to help! I just went back and re-read all the gushing in that post :)
I like your cover, nicely different from the original. Moody. Might be neat to do an alternate version/remix that has a real heavy part at the end. Thanks! An unexpected treat - not the song I thought would be covered.
-bill
You were my Ladytron introduction. I had a really good day just following links as I went through your tunes. I almost went with 'Strange Overtones.' I actually started to record something for it, but it was not coalescing.

Am in full agreement with you on the end needing something more. I think the lot could do with more presence, but especially at the end. It is actually upon my list, as I am still working on layering and fine-tuneage.
But I am pleased that you liked it. :)
Jeez Louise girl - you can sing!!

I didn't know that song - so I googled the original - I think you wiped the floor with them.
Your arrangement is better and your vocals are superb.

Well done.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Real Sign:

That is very cool. I am not a big fan of the Who. My Generation and Magic Bus are the only songs of theirs I really like. I much prefer your version of this

And thank you for your choices. When I got my PM I thought - "yeah! Man of Constant Sorrow!" But...how can I play that ?!?!? Same with the Primus song - my bass skills would just ruin it. Then - whats this... an acapella song - cool - I can do that.....

I tried to record that a capella - but the more I sang the lyrics I thought - this song is awsome, and old Stans delivery hides the great lyrics. So I stripped it back to g/n/g. I felt a real visceral connection with the song - thousands of hours driving solo in the middle of nowhere will do that - I knew what that dude was singing about. Thanks for introducing me to it.
RangerDenni
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: vocals, piano, drums, bit o’gitfiddle, other noisy stuff
Recording Method: cubase, pianoteq, desperation.
Submitting as: a mysterious presence of quiet silence and apology reverb
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Post by RangerDenni »

Caravan Ray wrote: Jeez Louise girl - you can sing!!

I didn't know that song - so I googled the original - I think you wiped the floor with them.
Your arrangement is better and your vocals are superb.

Well done.
:) that is very very nice. :)
i have to go out and do something unpleasant so I will go out and think "ha, ha, I can sing so there!" as I stare with blankly-fake compliance at the Difficult People today. not to judge (heh), but people are just ack sometimes. it's been very constructive to get things done around here (as much as Possible!) as of late :) and I enjoyed doing GOM. I'm actually remixing it a little before I go to make it more beef-tacular.
"Really interesting how the point you’re making slowly emerges like Martin Sheen from the mud in Apocalypse Now..." ~j$
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

So I was gonna try working on my gift this weekend, but then I developed YET ANOTHER ear infection, so I am deaf in one ear (the same ear as last time, even). What the fuck is wrong with my body, and when can I get it replaced?
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:Jim: Ross has organized a stiffee committee in years past, and he, myself, and others, gave the love. I'm guessing that Ross will be busy this year with FAWM. No great organizer of such things, am I, but I will gladly give a gift if someone wants to run the ship.
I would be willing to organize again if there is a lift of stifeess. The last time was abit of a downer since even many of those who jumped into say they would help did not come through. If there is a list and volunteers, I'm happy to organize ( and coninute one myself).
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS
Instruments: Bass, drums, guitar, hand farts
Recording Method: Firewire 1814, Sonar X1
Submitting as: Albatross, Primitive Screwheads

Post by Albatross »

Ross wrote:I would be willing to organize again if there is a lift of stifeess. The last time was abit of a downer since even many of those who jumped into say they would help did not come through. If there is a list and volunteers, I'm happy to organize ( and coninute one myself).
I have the Stiffee Report made, but I'm gonna wait a bit longer before posting, at least until after I can take my own goddamned name out of the Stiffer list.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Ross wrote:
Paco Del Stinko wrote:Jim: Ross has organized a stiffee committee in years past, and he, myself, and others, gave the love. I'm guessing that Ross will be busy this year with FAWM. No great organizer of such things, am I, but I will gladly give a gift if someone wants to run the ship.
I would be willing to organize again if there is a lift of stifeess. The last time was abit of a downer since even many of those who jumped into say they would help did not come through. If there is a list and volunteers, I'm happy to organize ( and coninute one myself).
I abso-fucking-lutely guarantee I will not stiff anyone. I am dependable. I am on time to shit. I get back to people I say I'm going to get back to. I answer emails. I thank people who have done me a good deed. If I make an appointment, I don't reschedule it. I'm fucking dependable.

OK, this post isn't all about GoM. I have issues this evening. And 3 glasses of wine was not a good idea. Maybe 4 will be better....
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

No one has said anything about my entry, so I'm just going out on a limb and posting this anyway, since I worked a long time on it and ended up really proud of it.

All four songs at one time or other were the "chosen" song, but I could never come up with a satisfactory approach to any of them. And I tried to figure out why that was. I finally realized that all four of those songs are "groove" based, meaning the main goodness of the song comes in its groove (with the possible exception of Cars and Parties). Once I realized this, I also know that my particular strengths do not lend themsleves to adding anything of any quality to the groove already established, and that trying to replicate or improve upon them was a fool's errand given my style. Cars and Parties was the obvious choice then, but it just didn't excite me enough. I really wanted to sound like Cold War Kids. But I know I never will.

Once I got into the idea of a mashup of all four, I was off and running and had a ton of fun with it. I also learned to really like all of them. I ended up extremely happy with it. The song was chosen for my upcoming album ( by the producer -- not me). Ultimately it was dropped because we realized what a hassle it was going to be obtaining rights to all four songs, but it's a testament to it having been a successful endeavor. I'm super proud of it.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

JoS wrote:I'm super proud of it.
As well you should be, sir. That song kicks ass!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS

Post by Albatross »

OK, I am very late to this party. Flat beer and stale chips for everybody! And some belated holiday tidings for Sportswriters:

"Shot By Both Sides" - Magazine
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

signboy wrote:Some good covers in there. C Ray- deadly!!
Thank you.

As I have written - I loved that song. I am curious about the context of it.

Is is a Canadian classic? That drunk blokes hug and sing? It sounds like one.

It reminded me a lot of this - Diamantina Drover by Redgum:
[youtube]xa0pgmRf6Ow&feature=related[/youtube]

A song held in very high regard by people who wished they lived the sort of lives they were singing about. (Like me) - but they are really just boring public servants living in Brisbane.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

Caravan Ray wrote: As I have written - I loved that song. I am curious about the context of it.

Is is a Canadian classic? That drunk blokes hug and sing?
I think you have just described heaven -- a place where, (although nothing ever happens) the barflies are not only singing songs -- but singing Stan Rogers. I want to go to that bar.

I grew up with NW Passage -- and nowadays have re purposed it as a metaphor how all we loose and untethered are eventually blown west. I can't speak well for our neighbors to the North, but in the US the myth of manifest destiny persists. (Although I think it got a little mixed up with some Walden along the way -- and it has carefully forgotten all the genocide.)

Anyhoo, I also love this song -- I think I even have a cover of it half-finished somewhere in the vault.
signboy
Mean Street
Instruments: things that make noise
Recording Method: lots of stuff plugged into lots of other stuff

Post by signboy »

Yes, I have several friends who get all huggy & sing Northwest Passage when they're drunk.
Irwin: I'd sell my soul to jesus to program drums like signboy.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

sooooo is the unstiffee committee getting together yet?
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

It would be nice if the Unstiffs came together this year. I have been without my home computer all of February and haven't been able to record a thing. I would definitely like my person to get a gift of music, even if I'm unable to make it myself.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS

Post by Albatross »

I believe this to be the current stiffee status:

STIFFERS
Jeff DeSantis
fluffy
furrypedro
Tomski
Sportswriters

STIFFEES (direct links to lists provided)
j$
Boffo Yux Dudes
Anti-M
BBABM
Noah McLaughlin

STIFFEREES
Niveous
Eddiebangs
Last edited by Albatross on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yep, I suck.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Albatross wrote: STIFFEREES
Niveous
Eddiebangs
Wowza. So, the two Stifferees are the co-organizers. Something about that doesn't feel right.
Okay, hell or highwater, computer or no computer, I'm getting my song out somehow.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Albatross wrote: STIFFEES (direct links to lists provided)
j$
Boffo Yux Dudes
Anti-M
BBABM
Noah McLaughlin
Albatross (every damn year...)
Who's managing the Stiffee committee this year? There are at least two songs in these lists that I'd like to tackle, if they're not already being worked upon, so do I need to contact someone about that, or should I just go and do it?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

JFDI. It's the GIFT of music, not the organized-by-committee mutual satisfaction brigade of music. (If it were then there wouldn't be so many problems at the end of each one.)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Fluffy, one could also say to your good self, JFDI - it's the *gift* of music, not the *thought that counts* of music :)