With a face like mine... (Radio Ready reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Get your votes in.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
No Horse Town
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: programming, guitar, vox
Recording Method: GuitarPro 5, Audacity
Submitting as: No Horse Town

Post by No Horse Town »

bleh, i couldn't help it, i had to write reviews. half-assed, totally un-helpful reviews. here they are:

hell yeahs - your vocals are just maybe a little too loud, but i like the effect on 'em and i like the lyrics/melodies. this is very fun and good. this is the kinda pop-punk i can totally dig. A-

roymond - repetitive and groovy. that cymbally ringy thingy is definitely cool. good tones all around. B+

kill me sarah - i like the guitar sound, but overall, this song bores me. C

lord of oats - from what i've caught since i've been here, your songs seem to be a lot better since you got that ode-to-melvin out of your system (your "501" was really fuckin' sweet). this one's a little long, but it works with the lazy feel of the song... the first solo is cool, but the second one... i dunno. the ending's good. overall, this is... yeah, pretty decent. B

melvin - hmm. i dunno, maybe it's cuz i'm really not into weezer... i don't really "get" your stuff. or what i've heard of your stuff. i guess i can see why you're famous/popular around here.. it's very smooth and all.. you're obviously good at what you do. i just wish you'd do something weirder. A for quality / C for me-liking-it-ness

FACE
- that warbling guitar crap is awesome. the drums are good. the vocals are.. ok. i'm normally all about the short songs, but this one felt incomplete. C+

apathetic wannabee - i can hear the random microphone fuzz a little bit more than i can hear parts of your vocals. that can't be good. this kinda groove is ok with me, but i wish there was a new vocal melody or something. it doesn't evolve much.. we get some finger-snaps at one point, but is that enough? i dunno, maybe it is. i'm really not sure. it's not bad. it's kinda boring. but it's kinda smooth and nice. maybe in the end that fuzzy-ness wasn't so bad after all. huh. i dunno. let's just give it a C+.

soundscape rebellion - not diggin' the heart made of stone lyric. but the voice is pretty. hey, this one's short too. that's great. it works. i don't really dig it, so yeah, A- for quality / C+ for appeal-to-me

sven mullet - vocals start out a little loud? when it starts startin' to get ready to start rockin', i'm like: "OH. I get it. So this song is totally about to get better." And then it does, and I'm like: "Sweet." kinda reminds me of spacehog when the higher vocals come in, which is a good thing in my book. it's repetitive, but the tension makes that a good thing. the ending is awesome. A

the howling monkeys - hmm.. didn't NOFX kinda do this already? Well, that's ok: it's pretty good. Again, the vocals might be too loud? Well, y'know, that's prolly just my taste. The lyrics have some clever parts... yeah, the bridge was pretty good... hmm. I think you may have said "radio ready" / "radio" just a few too many times. I'll have to do another split grade for quality / appeal. B+ / C

Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders - OK, I'm gonna give up on the "vocals are too loud" thing. It must just be me. This song is super sweet. That synth thing is great. Everything else is good too. Very textural. Good tones. Fun vocals, very uplifting, hell yeah. I think we prolly have a vote here. A+

Mico Saudad + Friends - hmm. reminds me of that damn space cowboy song. i hate that song. sorry. too jammy for me. well, hey, wait a minute, it does change a little bit... it gets a little better... huh. Well, I dunno, it's not my thing, but it's ok. It's not bad. Sounds like you had fun. That "just don't care" bit has been overdone way too fuckin' much, tho, man. Still, here, maybe it's appropriate?... I dunno. God, it's long. Uhh... C

well, no one really sucked this time around. That's good. I think I'm gonna have to vote for those Neo-Candylanders, or maybe Sven Mullet or maybe maybe the Hell Yeahs. Wait, is there still time to vote? I guess I'll find out. Good work, fighters. A lot better than the purple tongue entries, fo' sho'. But I guess that was to be expected... this is kinda a good title. Purple Tongue not so much.
There's a place where a total stranger will give you their blood...
jeff robertson
Panama
Instruments: guitar, bass, programming
Recording Method: Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: FLVXXVM FLORVM, Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jeff robertson »

No Horse Town wrote: Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders - OK, I'm gonna give up on the "vocals are too loud" thing. It must just be me. This song is super sweet. That synth thing is great. Everything else is good too. Very textural. Good tones. Fun vocals, very uplifting, hell yeah. I think we prolly have a vote here. A+
Wow. Thanks.

I promise to write reviews soon.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

face - this has a great floaty-psychodelic feeling to it, with some nice dark chord changes. With better vocals and drmu programming I'd want to hear a whole lot more of it. I'm thinking this is a strong sketch for a cool song yet.

Hell Yeahs - has a cute 50s novelty sound with some sophistacated (well updated) enhancements. The break is great and the vocal pace keeps me hooked. Also like the quick deconstruction at the end.

Howling Monkees - ok, geeky cute but much better than just that. Nice arrangement and production. I didn't hear the drummer dropping his sticks, though. And, it's very radio ready (for better or worse)

Jeff Robertson and the Neo Cs - I like the 3+2+3 pulse and especially the honky tonk piano in the chorus. The organ and vocals hold this back beyond the initial Lou Reed groove that sort of grew on my with repeats.

Kill Me Sarah - wow, I haven't been keeping up with you. This is awesome. Nice progression, gtr part and vocals. Good job.

Lord of Oats - nice analog-y intro. Like this synth melody and the gtr doubling after the verse is brilliant. The loose bass also is lovely all slippery and everything. You have also made tons of progress lately. The harmonized gtr works well and good lyrics always help. Are you playing drums? Like them too. For such a long repetitive song, the arrangement carries it well. Glad you didn't feel you had to cut it short. All the playing is a bit off and that gives it a certain cohesiveness. That behind the bridge gtr in the final solo is fab.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Melvin - like that wall of sound entrance. Nice sentiment throughout. And that pass from harmonized gtr into the open 2nd verse is sweet. Liking this.

Mick Saudad & Friends - we have a local star in the hood named Dan Zanes and this captures his Father Goose entries. Nice energy and vocals.

Pathetic Wannabess - in the video I see a tatooed guy in a black hat cooking hot dogs on a concrete slab while his wife plays badmitton with the swinger neighbors.

roymond - I hope to get to finish this. Lyric is half baked and it needs real drums. And more than a reference gtr track. But I liked staying so simple (just this once?)

Soundscape Rebellion - I like the folksy doubling of the verse melody and the bare naked structure. I hear a very soft but thick vocal backtrack, ala Roach sisters humming atmospherically.

Sven Mullet - nice intro and subsequent blossoming verse arrangement. I love the dissonance and the layers in this. Anti-M's entrance is gorgeous, if lost in the mix. The ending is too abrupt but otherwise this is very engaging.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
howling monkey
A New Player

Post by howling monkey »

a pathetic wannabee it is a jazzy number.

face I like it cause it's so crunchy. It's rough, but it probably would sound bad if it were more produced.

hellyeahs Love it. Sloppy, energetic, fast. Totally punky vocals. Nice individual sections. It is what exactly what it needs to be. Totally awesome!

jeff robertson sounds like The Boss and half of the E street band got real drunk and made a song.

kill me sarah I like the lyrics. Man, if you added some growley bass and yelled the vocals into a cheap mic, it'd be a hit. i think.

lord of oats man, that intro was kinda cool. Wonder if you shoulda done a tune based on those sounds. The rest of the tune kinda drags.

melvin This song came on randomly on my ipod and I thought it was a tune from the indiefeed podcast. It reminds me of an out-of-practice weezer. It's a nice tune with nice sections.

micosaudad no

roymond it's sloppy and it has grungy bass. All it needs is some spring reverb on the voice and some boomy drums.

soundscape rebellion It's all serious and stuff. Not that you should have actually done this, but it kinda sounds cool with some bizzaro techno synth on it. i don't know why.
What am I doing? I think I just crapped my pants.
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Re:

Post by Märk »

howling monkey wrote:Reviews for everyone but Sven Mullet
Thanks for the review.
* this is not a disclaimer
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Re: With a face like mine... (Radio Ready reviews)

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Roymond wrote:Dan Zanes
Loved him in the underrated Del Fuegos.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Re: With a face like mine... (Radio Ready reviews)

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Congratulations to The Howling Monkeys. I got really excited because I saw that I had three votes. But then I realized that your votes are BELOW your name :lol:
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike