We Were Not Meant to Be (a Review Thread)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
doorite
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by doorite »

WesDavis wrote:[doorite - This is a good rap. This is rap that picks a rhythm and sticks to it, and doesn't sound like shit. I like this. Also I love how you are singing about how you've lost your way because you don't smoke weed anymore, and only smoke man-made chemical drugs. Or maybe I'm interpreting it wrong.O

?????????...... not quite...... but i like that, cool, thanks for enjoying. That goes to everyone. :D
art is what you can get away with - Andy Warhol
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

doorite wrote:
WesDavis wrote:
doorite wrote:thanks for all the good-to-medium reviews. in a rap hated zone, im glad to at least get some honest opinions
It ain't that rap is hated 'round these parts. It's that terrible nerdcore is hated.

I, for one, love hearing really well-done rapping. Starfinger's "More Than Soup" would be a good example of really good Songfight rapping.
really, then what the hell is nerdcore? Nerds have nothing to do with it, sounds like a derogitory labelling comment to me. i dont know what nerds do where youre from, but im sure its not this. What does nerdcore mean? i understand bout the sir front alot thing, but that is very different than this. so as soon as im not pretending to be a gangster and thug, its nerdcore? Its more demented than nerdy, if anything.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that your music is bad. In fact, if you check out my review, you will see that I rather enjoyed your rap. And I wouldn't label yours nerdcore at all. Nerdcore is just nerds rapping poorly, typically about video games or science, and while I am down with rapping about any subject, a lot of nerdcore is really bad. Non-gangster rap doesn't immediately fall into nerdcore. I really like Del tha Funkee Homosapien, for example, and would not consider him to be nerdcore, but he does not rap about killing dudes and sexing up the bitches.

I should ammend my statement to say that Songfight doesn't hate rap as a matter of course; it just hates bad music, and the unfortunate truth is that most Songfight rap falls into that category.
Am I rockin' hard, or hardly rockin'?
Elias_Aquarius
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Elias_Aquarius »

jackfrost wrote:Doctor Nocturne – This name reminds me of Doctor/Captain Neptune from the Medieval vs. Sci-Fi episode of Home Movies, but that is neither here nor there.
That's awesome, because I love that episode.
Mr. T says: Eat your school, don't do milk, and go to drugs.
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

adamadamant - Awsome 80's feel and i'm super interested in the vox here really nicely done, I also like the way this track breathes a nice electro-organic pulse to the whole thing, reminds a bit of the human league in places, good work!

airkickpidgeonband - What was the name of that racoon cartoon series from the late 80's???
this is weirdly compelling stuff, sounds like it could have been the outro to said cartoon, interesting!

andrewashereatmidnight - nicely laid back, but could maybe do with laying down a touch more to really fulfil the almost folky eels feel, interesting take on cousin relationships, maybe also mixed a bit low.

brilliantvoid - slightly scarey vocal overlapping, main vox is not strong enough to stand up on it's own, maybe if the lead was doubled that would help the overall feel, sounds like a good idea, which maybe got a bit out of hand, that kind of thing can easily happen.

brody - another slightly laid back approach, which is mixed really quite well, with excellent arrangement, coupled with some nice lyrical composition, good song!

cakeloaf - sounds like the chaotic partridge family, vox needed to come in earlier but when then do they're a bit distorted, maybe thats what you want, but it's really difficult to listen to, interesting approach though!

chirp - oddly hauntingly good, i like the interesting variation in the very minimal backing, and theres some nice harmonising with the lead vox, but what's with the racoon's again??

ostara(somewhatuncertain) - this is rather good in a shoegazin' kind of way, i'd like to hear this electrified, this is sort of like an acoustic catherine wheel, nice if a little samey throughout.

cynthiasizeandthe@eclecticspoons - story behind this is I saw the title go up and worked out a nice little half a song, then when I was eliminated (quite rightly) from the nur ein, i super rushed the whole thing together, so in places it really works, but yeah it does sound rather disjointed, and cynthia isnt really firing on all cylinders, though I take dre's point it might be about time to give her a bit of a rest... maybe!!!

dbcollective - this is the track i've voted for, mainly because I like it and it's different enough from the usual songfight fayre.

nickanddex - sounds like something by the hot waffles, could easily feature on dr. demento, but a bit left of centre to guarantee further litens.

donovantann - nothing like donovan, nice in a gentle un-threatening way, but the slight breathlessness of the vox is rather annoying, more racoons??? I've obviously missed something here!

dontreplythamc - competent rapping, coupled with a competent rap, nice and short!!!!

doorite - lyrically rather good, and the backing track has some nice interesting components, and there's obviously more than one voice here, I didn't like voice one, voice two was quite good, voice three started well but got a bit annoying, a bit repetative though overall, kept me interested throughout though.

eddielance - nice playing dude!

eugenemanitoba - oh if only the vox had been more george formby this would have ben perfect, as it is it sounds rather like a tentative first entry, quirky backing track, calls out for quirky vox... please!!

hamnoburger - really really sounds like a mock turtles track, though I cant think of the one, how does it feel possibly.... annoyingly familiar, so much so that its distracting me, apologies if this isnt ripped off but it really does sound like it, even the vox are similar to martin's....

kabuto - yeah this is cool, because it takes the piss out of itself, well done dude!

kenssuperduperbandnstuff - really clean, almost supderdupershiney!! i like your effortless vocal style, this is a nice song, straight down the middle, all spoiled relationships and no racoons in sight!! that pad that comes in around 2:25ish is welcome if a little overdue.

king arthur - second choice for vote (yeah i know that counts for nothing but there it is), i've said this before i love the way your voice cracks in places because it's still sounds so goddam cool, super natural style, and excellent lyrics as always, love the fact that this is laid back yet still drives forward, that in itself is a knack, nay a gift!

lightsofafire - yeah this is really annoying, at least eddie lance played the piano, and didnt just fuck about with it!!!!!

lukehenleyft.andrewryder - this has a slight (really slight) irish folk tinge that a) I can't put my finger on and b) I love to bits, excellent track guys, I'll listen to this many more times.

mailbox - nice track, don't know if this is your first songfight entry, but please enter more, you've got a nice aztec camera-esque style that I'll really grow to enjoy, this is in my top 10 this week, well constructed and the breakdown around 2:20/2:35ish was excellent.

mcericb - eric what the fuck's happened to you??? this is awful dude, you've done loads better than this previously, did you listen to this before submitting (or did you do what I usually do!!!)
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and put this down to a bad week!

mcpauldenyer - only thing wrong with this paul is the rap's underneath the cut up guitar, bring it up a bit, the rap's excellent as always, sardonic humour, allow your wit to shine above the backing track, it deserves it, top 10!

measle - excellent lyrics (in places), good sung/rap style, really crap backing track, that's pissed me off by 1:00 and it's really hard to keep listening...

melvin - your trouble is you've set your stall so high, that the slightest falter seems like a chasm, but.... this is awsome dude, really excellent track, love the way this is put together, from the slight handclap break to that excellent driving bass pulse, marvellous as always.

mintyhandy - this could almost be from they might be giants the musical (live from broadway), please please please don't give up, this is infectiously charming, and the whole thing is underpinned with a really gentle comedic spirit thats oh so endearing.

nathanieltann - hmmm! donovantann, nathanieltann, slightly better than your (br)other('s) track?!? this is charmingly haunting.

oceancitydefender - more racoons, and very nice too! good track, needs a touch more variation, but good nonetheless.

regulargonzalez - joy division goes lounge core jazz, i may be odd (yes i may be!!) but i like this, because it's really quirky, and ridiculously stupid, i'll enjoy this many mor times to come.

renwick - nice spacey atmospheric track, good vocals, there is an awful lot of this kind of thing out there in free music land, so if you're gonna drive on in this vein, then you need to find something that makes you stand out a little more, because this can tend to wash over the listener, nice but not a lot else.

setfire - late 80's brit indie stylings are always welcome here, and this is nicely done, and doesn't stay to generic either that electro vox for example, cool track, good lyrics conveying an easy message, well done.

simonstewart - okay that's a minute of tuning up get on with it....two minutes and I'm still listening, god that was 2:10 of nothing wasnt it???

sixthline - easy top 10 and I look forward to future entries, mix is a bit fucked up, but theres a good track buried in there, vox are nice too, very linkin park!

soundscaperebellion - ah the opposite problem, vox are sitting too much on top of the track, thus its like i'm trying to listen to the track, while someone sits on my shoulder singing, when the female vocal harmonises, that's really good that bit, and by 1:35 things sem to have settled down a bi, but by then its a little late, prospects are good for the future though.

thingyoudotoabank - the ahhh intro is well cool, sad to say it's a bit down hill from there, don't be put off though, try again next week...

theweakestsuit - i feel like you guys really want to rock out but feel like you can't so your sitting in that gentle folky rock mold (that's occupied so well by the frisbees), take a risk a let it go, i reckon you may be surpised by what you can achieve, this track needs some blood pumping through it...

weezyblumpkin - top 10 for no other reason than its got a head nodding beat, and some whoo ooh's (always a winner), but seriously there is an awful lot of under-achieving tracks this week, this is no exception, but it's slightly better than most.

wesdavis - yeah this isnt half bad y'know, though lyrically it's a bit boring, musically for gng its pretty cool, like the way the track bounces along.

zender - is this nerdcore as well?? though a science lesson coupled with rap isnt to unappealing, i've learned quite a lot about cephlopods (is that spelled correctly??) which will help me in my future life...
i.p.
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by i.p. »

WesDavis wrote: I really like Del tha Funkee Homosapien, for example, and would not consider him to be nerdcore, but he does not rap about killing dudes and sexing up the bitches.
I am currently wearing a Del T-shirt right now. jusssst wanted to point that out.

On topic:
I posted earlier on this thread (i think?) but would like to add a new favorite that has grown on me in the last 2 days (and I wish i'd saved my vote for them... but i already voted).
Sixthline and BCB. Great song. Reminds me of Peeping Tom. If you don't know Peeping Tom, I suggest them. It's one person really, Mike Patton, the former frontman of Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk among other bands. My favorite living male vocalist... and although Sixthline's vocals aren't quite as strong as some of Patton's stuff, the arrangement and songwriting are reminiscent of a lot of Patton's more recent, less avant-garde music.
DJ Big Dick
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by DJ Big Dick »

WesDavis wrote:
doorite wrote:
WesDavis wrote: It ain't that rap is hated 'round these parts. It's that terrible nerdcore is hated.

I, for one, love hearing really well-done rapping. Starfinger's "More Than Soup" would be a good example of really good Songfight rapping.
really, then what the hell is nerdcore? Nerds have nothing to do with it, sounds like a derogitory labelling comment to me. i dont know what nerds do where youre from, but im sure its not this. What does nerdcore mean? i understand bout the sir front alot thing, but that is very different than this. so as soon as im not pretending to be a gangster and thug, its nerdcore? Its more demented than nerdy, if anything.
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that your music is bad. In fact, if you check out my review, you will see that I rather enjoyed your rap. And I wouldn't label yours nerdcore at all. Nerdcore is just nerds rapping poorly, typically about video games or science, and while I am down with rapping about any subject, a lot of nerdcore is really bad. Non-gangster rap doesn't immediately fall into nerdcore. I really like Del tha Funkee Homosapien, for example, and would not consider him to be nerdcore, but he does not rap about killing dudes and sexing up the bitches.

I should ammend my statement to say that Songfight doesn't hate rap as a matter of course; it just hates bad music, and the unfortunate truth is that most Songfight rap falls into that category.
i haven't read any of the other posts in this thread, so this gets awarded my "best post in this thread" medal by default, but it probably would have won anyway.
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

I would like to thank the academy, my manager, and some shithole down the street that said nice things to me.
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

I'm pretty satisfied with having lost to the Airkick Pigeon Band. I'm really glad Eugene Manitoba and Zender didn't have enough friends to win it.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
chirp
A New Player

Post by chirp »

good show, good show.

hopefully the next one will keep me grooving all summer?

(do i sound like a dance-obsessed schoolgirl? uh well yes)

zender -- i feel like the creepy creatures next door vibe got you and me and others more votes than we should have thanks to the dino comics click-throughs, in proportion to folks who enjoy music as a whole. i dunno, though.
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

Zender wrote:Hello! I'm glad I didn't have enough friends too, because I definitely had no business winning this. Though honestly I did almost nothing to promote it, so I am genuinely surprised that it did get so many votes.

By the way: I'm glad some of you liked my song! It is the first song I ever wrote and is novelty through and through, no argument here. Those of you who had specific criticisms (especially about my lame vocal styles): I agree with you fully!

Well done Air Kick!
Considering this was your first song, ever, I have to give you some props. It wasn't terrible, by any means. Just not better than Air Kick, and some of the others.
doorite
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by doorite »

spOOn wrote: doorite - lyrically rather good, and the backing track has some nice interesting components, and there's obviously more than one voice here, I didn't like voice one, voice two was quite good, voice three started well but got a bit annoying, a bit repetative though overall, kept me interested throughout though.
thanks.... voice 1 n 2 are me, so im glad im half n half at least,lol. thanks for all the awesome reviews
art is what you can get away with - Andy Warhol