If you don't know (What Happened Last Year reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

If you don't know (What Happened Last Year reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

then listen to all the songs and you'll probably get a good idea. Might as well review them while you're at it, right?
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: If you don't know (What Happened Last Year reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Hopefully everyone knows where the lyrics go by now:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12409
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Late BSS song added to the fight.
Future Boy
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Keyboard, Vocals
Recording Method: Apollo Twin, Reaper, Rhodes, Casios
Submitting as: Future Boy

Post by Future Boy »

damikhz - this is me being ~experimental~ i was pretty happy with it after recording it, now some of it sounds a bit cheesy. i don't think i do enough spoken word for the delivery to be as good as it needs to be to sound properly "serious" but fun fact this is a single take recorded stereo from a little modular synth setup. video here for the curious: https://youtu.be/rQbA4TOxgx8

hoodmo - i am immediately on your side because there are synths. i like the lyrics and intention they state. the way the song builds by adding layers and more backing vocals works well. my only gripe is that the lead vocal performance is a little rough, needs more expression maybe? especially on the held notes.

Paco del Stinko - i really like the music, the jangly guitars, the solos, drums sounds good. i don't like the vocals very much, but i'm not sure how much the lead vocal's affect is your "natural" voice or intentional affectation. the backing vocals could be cool in that like doing a horn section with your mouth way, but they are so buried in the mix I'm not sure they add a whole lot. i might try panning them really wide and maybe playing with auto-tune to get the harmonies really tight.

The Pannacotta Army - the sound of the song right out of the gate is so smooth and polished it draws me in. love the minor chord subs in the progression. the switch in feel/energy between the verse and chorus sounds abrupt and awkward to me. like, once the chorus gets going I'm like yeah this is a good chorus and coming out of the chorus into the verse works, but entering it almost seems like it's meant for a different song. i think what's bothering me is that the F#7 leading into the E at the beginning of the chorus is not a satisfying resolution based on what comes before.

Pigfarmer Jr - I think you did a great job with everything here, especially the vocal, really solid pitch. Catchy tune, some bits of the melody sound familiar, but I can't exactly place them, so it doesn't bother me really.

Space Pub - I love all the different weird stuff going on, especially the synth blips and fwips. The generic dance drum sounds stick out a bit to me, I might try something a little more lo-fi. The processing on the vocals is cool but I think cuts too much of the high end out, so it can be hard to make out the words.

WreckdoM - I want the vocals a little hotter or maybe they need a bit more distortion to cut through. I can't explain why the crypto crashed, but I enjoyed this song.

Berkeley Social Scene - This song isn't bad per se, but I don't really connect with it. Sounds a lot like a demo recorded in a garage, which again isn't a bad thing necessarily, but lacks the sort of raw energy one wants out of that. I don't like the way the vocals are performed, that's the main thing putting me off the song I think, but it's clearly been done that way very intentionally, so :shrug:
New Album: Comes Apart | Missed Connections | With Johnny Cashpoint: A Maze of Death | modular synths on Youtube
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Thanks for the comments so far. I'll be free on Wednesday to add mine. Stay tuned! Woo.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

The winner is: The Pannacotta Army