Tri-State Area Remix

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Tri-State Area Remix

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

I've been meaning to re-process my "Tri State Area" song for quite some time using some new stuff I've learned since the actual SongFight recording, as well as suggestions from the rest of the SongFighters... Here are the fruits of my labors.

(64kbps low quality, small file size)

http://69.244.191.218:82/media/music/so ... ea_low.mp3

(128kbps higher quality, larger file size)

http://69.244.191.218:82/media/music/so ... e_area.mp3
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward
Pronouns: he/him

Post by joshw »

Very nice. Ok - how do you get the metallic ultra-fast studdering repeats that you have on the vocals on the fadeout? Every time I hear someone do that I wonder what they're using for it. I'd imagine you could just copy/paste the starting snip of a phrase a bunch of time in rapid succession, but that'd be a pain.
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove

I'm working with a software program called “Renoise” available from http://www.renoise.com. Basically it's just another FastTracker 2 Clone but with seamless VST Plugin support and a bunch of integrated effects filters and other editing tools. It primarily caters to the Techno-Electronica group of musicians but I've lately been exploring it's abilities with more organic instruments, as you can hear in a lot of my songfight tracks. I used to be purly techno and if anyone is interested they can just type DJ HardKore into Kazza and download some of my old garbage.

Basically I just load in WAV samples recorded in another program (say, Audacity) and then insert them in a given track along the songs timeline in Renoise. Renoise has a Loop-Editor for any WAV sample and all I have to do is take the WAV Vocal track and set a start point and an end point. It will keep looping between the start and end points until I tell it to stop by starting a new audio clip in that track or by issuing an “off” command.

Renoise probably makes up 95% of my production. Drums are always cut up and re-processed, Guitar is cut up and re-processed, everything is looped, tracked, sent through filters and sync-ed up. It's a lot of work but in the end it sounds pretty cool.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

sounds real good...

i'm not digging on the auto-tuned vocals during the verse, though. it sounds really cool on the choruses, and i think if you left the effect off of the verses, it would just make the choruses that much cooler.

2:30 to the end is my favourite part of the song though. where the vocals come in during that section is a little bit harsh (to my ears) and maybe could be faded in a little more smoothly, but besides that, that part sounds pretty great.

(oh and one other suggestion -- a discussion like this probably would be better off located in the "tri-state area" review thread. or better yet -- somebody should start a new thread somewhere for a "hey listen to this song i made" sort of thing. i was thinking that after poor june has been linking to a few songs in monkey affairs... but anyway.)
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

well, yeah, naturally. but i mean for people who don't like the competitive (i.e. ratings) side of it (although why the hell would you be at songfight! in the first place, in that case?) or who (like poor june for example) can't directly link to songs for inclusion on somesongs. i mean.. you know.. just a place to say "hey listen to this!" while you might not necessarily feel like going to the trouble of submitting it to the SS index and etc.

argh.
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

Sure, but saying all that wouldn't make me out to be an asshole.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

tviyh wrote: .... while you might not necessarily feel like going to the trouble of submitting it to the SS index and etc.
To which I would say 'ah diddums'. If this thread had been started by some new person fricking around in Fruityloops (no names) then you all would have been falling over each other to point out the perceived breach in etiquette, no doubt in an ever increasing spiral of hilarity/aggression.

As no one rule for rich no one rule for poor, so no one rule for popular no one rule for not so popular.

So, nothing personal, but http://WWW.SOMESONGS.COM.

Unlike John it seems I care not about appearing an asshole. I am an asshole.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

uhm... lots of anger... yea i know of somesongs... and yes rules rules fuck rules

once i have money i'll be on somesongs... no i dont' care if someone doesn't like my song as much as someone elses (otherwise of course i wouldn't be on songfight... ta fucking da)...

but it doesn't hurt to know when somethin' new is up anywhere... there is no thread that say hey... my new song is up if you're interested... and if anyone here is like me... i 'never' go to somesongs...

but i would if i saw it in a thread... that said hey new song... if i don't... then i'm not no wiser and i'm not gonna just go there and check if you have a new song... cause i have other shit to do... besides search the web for your shit... so you can tell me or not... but that's your own fucking problem... not mine...

and yes sometimes i don't mind bein' an asshole

(anyways if you'd like more people to know about your song bein' up... for those that may be interested... you can post it in the new thread i made... if not... oh well)...

by the way... i like your remix... pretty cool... a lot less pop punk sounding... but both version were awesome....
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

j$ wrote:To which I would say 'ah diddums'. If this thread had been started by some new person fricking around in Fruityloops (no names) then you all would have been falling over each other to point out the perceived breach in etiquette, no doubt in an ever increasing spiral of hilarity/aggression.

As no one rule for rich no one rule for poor, so no one rule for popular no one rule for not so popular.
But I'm perfectly happy making rules for the suck that don't apply to the don't-suck. More importantly, SS has paid at least a couple dues by submitting to SF, and it's a SF song, so it's on-topic.

Sort of like that guy who, angry after all the accidents it was causing, fixed the sign on a highway in California. If the end result was more people getting hurt rather than less, he would've had his ass handed to him on a platter. But (AFAIK) the authorities overlooked it b/c at the end of the day he was helping out.

As far as the song goes, I really like the last third. The reverby boop-beeps are great throughout the whole song, and fit nicely with the metalish guitar, and the drumming (programmed, right?) is great, but the whole thing smacks too much of pop. If you got rid of the auto-tune, I think I'd like it more. But the last 1/3 is where I really start to get interested, and I wish that was the intro to a new song, rather than the outro to this one.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

There are many people on Somesongs who are not Songfight people. There are many people on Songfight who are not Somesongs people. "Tri-State Area" was a Songfight title. I don't see what's wrong with this thread being here.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i wish people would stop using the same acronyms for different things! "sf" for songfight and san fransisco is confusing enough, but "ss" for southwest statistic in a thread where we are also discussing somesongs... argh! (i'd recommend "sws").

anyway: generic, my qualm wasn't with this thread appearing on the sf message board, i was just stating the alternate mix of the TSA song should maybe have been in the TSA review thread.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

c hack wrote:
But I'm perfectly happy making rules for the suck that don't apply to the don't-suck.
Who died and made you Dictator of Non-Suck? :)

My problem isn't with SWS as such (I did state it was nothing personal) - although I do agree with TVIYH that it should have been in the relevant thread and there alone.

I'm just pointing out that next time Bingo Bongo Ongo Oingo turns up with a 9 minute washing machine wav thread, you all better be falling over yourself to welcome him/her/them/it lest you burn forever in your personal hells as hypocrites.

:p
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Oh, that's not being a hypocrite at all.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

j$ wrote:My problem isn't with SWS as such (I did state it was nothing personal) - although I do agree with TVIYH that it should have been in the relevant thread and there alone.

I'm just pointing out that next time Bingo Bongo Ongo Oingo turns up with a 9 minute washing machine wav thread, you all better be falling over yourself to welcome him/her/them/it lest you burn forever in your personal hells as hypocrites.
Actually my problem with hey-check-out-my-song posts is not that they're uncalled-for, but that they're usually by some outsider who no one cares about. As long as you've established yourself as a serious songfighter, I'd actually rather see hey-check-out-my-new-song threads than list-of-top-5-hottest-chicks-in-margarine-commercials threads.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

yeah, fun things are bad
slowRodeo
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by slowRodeo »

garsh. this sounds allooot better.
"I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous." - Smalltown Mike
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

15-16 puzzle wrote:yeah, fun things are bad
No, those threads are an essential means for me to waste my time. Very important. I'm happy with the amount of noise, but a little more signal couldn't hurt.
Freddielove
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Freddielove »

Actually, I think this would be worthy of its own forum.

There are several songs that I've heard that I would like to hear remixed versions of - good songs that could use more time than the one week window. I still want to hear a rerecorded version of Loyalty Day's "The Chair We Share".

I have also been wanting to revisit a couple of songs in the Buffalo Speedway back catalog as my production knowledge / equipment improves. It would be great to get more feedback than just a number.

I think there are a lot of songs that approach near-greatness but are never finished because the thinking goes "oh no one is every going to hear this anyway so who cares." This would provide a place for those who want to glean something from the feedback they receive from the reviews and share the song as intended if given the time to complete it.
Everything But the Girl but without the scary big chinned woman

- Furrypedro
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove

tviyh wrote:i wish people would stop using the same acronyms for different things! "sf" for songfight and san fransisco is confusing enough, but "ss" for southwest statistic in a thread where we are also discussing somesongs... argh! (i'd recommend "sws").
I think it's really cool that I have an official acronym.

Last edited by Southwest_Statistic on Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
TVsKyle
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: keyboard, accordion, drum loops
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: TV's Kyle
Pronouns: he/him

Post by TVsKyle »

c hack wrote:
j$ wrote:My problem isn't with SWS as such (I did state it was nothing personal) - although I do agree with TVIYH that it should have been in the relevant thread and there alone.

Actually my problem with hey-check-out-my-song posts is not that they're uncalled-for, but that they're usually by some outsider who no one cares about. As long as you've established yourself as a serious songfighter, I'd actually rather see hey-check-out-my-new-song threads than list-of-top-5-hottest-chicks-in-margarine-commercials threads.
Well, what defines a "serious songfighter"?
-Kyle A. Carrozza
http://TVsKyle.bandcamp.com
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Southwest_Statistic wrote:
I think it's cool that I have an official acronym.
Yes, I was at first confused by the strange acronym that was consistently repeated in reviews of my songs - then I worked out that it obviously stood for Caravan Ray, Australian Person.