Avril.

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
MalachiConstant
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by MalachiConstant »

Denyer wrote:I doubt anyone would care if 50 Cent talked about writing his songs.
Hip hop seems pretty up-front about who wrote the music. It's something they tend to brag about ("Pharrell did two tracks on my album!", "Lil Jon produced my first single!"). Rap artists are mostly about delivery and lyrics. Now, if it came out that Eminem wrote all his lyrics I think most people would lose respect for him (those who have respect for him, anyway).

As far as Avril goes she seems to me like "the other white meat" for goth girls who think they're too hip for Britney. I'm quite surprised when I hear that ANY pop singer wrote their own stuff, I expect them to be a figurehead with a team of producers behind them.
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

Lots of rappers have other people write their lyrics. People seem to respect NWA quite a bit even though only half of them were really writting anything.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Denyer wrote:Lots of rappers have other people write their lyrics. People seem to respect NWA quite a bit even though only half of them were really writting anything.
Yeah, but unless I'm mistaken, all the music, lyrics and rapping were supplied by people who were actually in NWA.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

My brother, who is 18 currently, gave me his opinion on Avril when she came out a few years ago. He hated her. I on the otherhand, bought into the whole shebang, I believed she wrote her stuff, I fell for the corporate image, probably because, in my life, as I do more things with my occupation that have a political or business-manipulate edge, I 've had greater sympathy for those kind of people. Ok, truth is , I was rooked.
The moral is, you can fool pre-teens and adults with that crap, but not a 16 year old kid. We need an emergency 16 yearold bullshit alert crew to enlighten those of us that have been dulled by years of living in cages. Damn. Now I'm starting to feel like Triple X.

Back on topic, JB has summed it up nicely. I feel like adding, however, that historically, the famous musicians used to be the composers... very few performers from before the dawn of recorded music saw much fame, or are commonly known today. Recorded music changed all that. Before, people would buy sheet music and play them, and a health folk music scene existed, but was buried historically under the weight of composers commissioned by rich folk. Now, the focus is on the performer, rather than the composer. It's sad really, that these people , from an artistic point of view (I'm ignoring the business side for a moment) feel the need to get others to play there stuff so it can be heard... (once again, I'm ignoring the business side here...) The truth is, rock and roll isn't about the performance, although it is enhanced by it, but rather the message, thus the disdain for these people. Now people are trying to fake the message, and the motivation for marketability. So who is the real loser? All the listeners who are sucked into the bullshit, and don't know any better. But how is this any different from any other facet of our lives in this culture?? face it. We are the new rock and roll. Our music is free. It's all about whatever we want it to be, and people are welcome to listen ,comment or whatever. We are rock.
Fuck Avril.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Leaf wrote:I feel like adding, however, that historically, the famous musicians used to be the composers... very few performers from before the dawn of recorded music saw much fame, or are commonly known today.
Well, a couple things come to mind...

There were very many famous performers, but because there was no way of recording them, they didn't survive time as well as the composers who were published. If you read letters and accounts of performances, you'll hear of many virtuoso performers who were highly praised and celebrated. Then there are the Liszts and Paganinis and the like, who were both composers and virtuoso performers.

But because chamber music was much more integrated into middle and upper class societies, people knew composers far better than they do now.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

I like the original better.

Pretty funny show though. Kids got it good these days. Back when I was a kid, each character had 2, maybe 3 animations tops. And there were only 8 jokes total. The writers had to share them and spread them out over a whole season.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

So I had to see what else was in your "songfight" folder. Yowza! I told you guys Liz Phair was a hottie. She looked better pre-baby though. I wish she'd taken those pics then. Also, I'm embarassed for her. You're a mom, Liz. Show a little class.

Annie Duke, OTOH (or I guess on the same hand), I'd do in a second. Hoping, of course, some poker skills would be transferred.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

The Monkees were pre-fabricated. I love the Monkees.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

c hack wrote:So I had to see what else was in your "songfight" folder. Yowza! I told you guys Liz Phair was a hottie. She looked better pre-baby though. I wish she'd taken those pics then. Also, I'm embarassed for her. You're a mom, Liz. Show a little class.

Annie Duke, OTOH (or I guess on the same hand), I'd do in a second. Hoping, of course, some poker skills would be transferred.
For more fun check out glitterandtwang.org/lj, glitterandtwang.org/misc... it's mostly less-fun though.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

mkilly wrote: For more fun check out glitterandtwang.org/lj, glitterandtwang.org/misc... it's mostly less-fun though.
mostly less yeah, but this made me laugh out loud:

http://www.glitterandtwang.org/lj/bear.jpg
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

yep, the Shit Bitch Bear. http://tomatoalligator.com/ has them for $13 + s/h. I love them.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Melodica, Misc. Noisemakers, Etc.
Recording Method: 2 old bean cans and a piece of string
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

I personally plan on basing my entire musical carreer around performing nothing but other songfighter's music. Give me 4 more live shows and you won't be able to find a pfm song in the bunch. Then I will make millllliooooons.

You all think I'm kidding...
White people, is you funky?
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

i've always seen avril as more of a fashion statement than anything else (the t-shirt/tie mix, the whole "punk" thing). bs is what it really is.
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

prayformojo wrote:I personally plan on basing my entire musical carreer around performing nothing but other songfighter's music. Give me 4 more live shows and you won't be able to find a pfm song in the bunch. Then I will make millllliooooons.

You all think I'm kidding...

Interestingly (to me) I have considered doing this myself. I've been thinking about covering a few sf songs in my new band... I'll pm anyone if I do this, out of courtesy....I've been involved in three songfighter covers now.. and it's a pretty cool, mentally rewarding deal for me. Plus there's some great material just sitting there waiting to be heard by the masses of Quadra and Vancouver Islands!
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Re: Avril.

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

jack shite wrote:
mkilly wrote:
jack shite wrote: hm. sounds 100 times better than anything i've ever heard from you.
truth and disclaimer part....... Basically what you're saying is, because I'm not good at making music, I'm in no place to say whether music is good or bad. I disagree.
hm. must have missed where i said that. i'm just poking fun at you marcus. it's obvious someone thinks avril has some talent or dare i say it....marketability, or she wouldn't be where she is. there's thousands of avril wannabes ready to step up and fill her place.

when other artists are just bent on dissing other artists work because they are somehow successful (whether they deserve it or not), it just smells of sour grapes to me. avril's not the first talent-challenged celebrity and she certainly won't be the last. at least i'm confident that avril can kick that jiggy-assed ashlee simpson's ass.
1st point: She isn't talent-challenged, I have seen her live a good number of times, and everything her band does is live and real on stage, including her vocals. Even though she is part of the corporate music scene, Avril can in fact sing and does have some musical talent. As a producer, I can say that if an Avril-Equivalent where to walk into my studio room, I would jump on that opportunity so fast. Every time I meet a musically-talented female with a good body, I offer her a "Record Deal" on the spot. So far I have one Punk-Rock-Chick and one Country-Singer-Acoustic-Guitar-Dixie-Chick-Wannabe who want to do albums in my studio.

2nd point: As an artist - if I was gonna get payed to re-do the Spongebob Squarepants song, I would have so much fun (even though I honestly hate the show).

3rd point: I'm an amateur musician who's never had singing lessons, good studio equipment, or studio training, so forget that excuse. I work with the same kind of dirt-cheap equipment that the rest of you guys do. A normal, run of the mill stage microphone, a cheap Radio Shack 5 channel Mic pre-amp, a BROKEN Fender guitar amp. People come in here and literally laugh at my equipment. Goodness, I laugh at my equipment. However, I'm very proud of the fact that I am living proof that equipment doesn't really matter as much anymore. I have come to the conclusion that my computer is endlessly more powerful then a studio from from the early 90's, which means I should at least be able to archive that level of production.

To illustrate, here's a short sample of a song I'm working on for my first album. Just go to my <a href="http://69.244.191.218:82/forever/">Personal Web Server</a>, and Right-Click "forever_sample.mp3", then click "Save Target As...". It's very punk-rocky and Avril-like in my opinion.
Last edited by Southwest_Statistic on Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

Southwest_Statistic wrote:As a producer, I can say that if an Avril-Equivalent where to walk into my studio room, I would jump on that opportunity so fast.
Well, sure. Right now, Avril is making alot of money for people, but trends in top-40 music are always changing.
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

I would jump on that opportunity so fast. Every time I meet a musically-talented female with a good body, I offer her a "Record Deal" on the spot. So far I have one Punk-Rock-Chick and one Country-Singer-Acoustic-Guitar-Dixie-Chick-Wannabe who want to do albums in my studio.
1st point. You sir, are a slut.

2nd point.
and amen to that.
3rd point. Seriously, that sounds very ...slimey. and icky. and ...well, scratchy too if you hook up with the wrong girl.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Southwest_Statistic wrote:..... As a producer, I can say that if an Avril-Equivalent where to walk into my studio room, I would jump on that opportunity so fast. Every time I meet a musically-talented female with a good body, I offer her a "Record Deal" on the spot. So far I have one Punk-Rock-Chick and one Country-Singer-Acoustic-Guitar-Dixie-Chick-Wannabe who want to do albums in my studio.
"hey babe, how's it going. i hear you sing. maybe play some guitar. but beyond that, you got a smokin little body. wanna come back to my room and lay down some tracks in my home studio? you see, i'm really a record producer. i know it might not look like much but i can at least crank out the same quality the old timers from the eighties did. boston. styx. journey. foreigner. hell, i can easily sound as good as those guys with my home setup here....hell, i can at least make you sound as good as that avril chick...."

:lol:
Hi!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Southwest_Statistic wrote: Every time I meet a musically-talented female with a good body, I offer her a "Record Deal" on the spot.
What can you do for a middle-aged public servant with advancing male pattern baldness and a beer-gut?
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

Offer you a cap and my deepest sympathy.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Southwest_Statistic wrote:..... As a producer, I would jump on that opportunity so fast ...
Is that what they're calling it these days?
Southwest_Statistic
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Lead Vocals
Recording Method: Renoise, Melodyne
Submitting as: Southwest Statistic

Post by Southwest_Statistic »

jack shite wrote:
Southwest_Statistic wrote:..... As a producer, I can say that if an Avril-Equivalent where to walk into my studio room, I would jump on that opportunity so fast. Every time I meet a musically-talented female with a good body, I offer her a "Record Deal" on the spot. So far I have one Punk-Rock-Chick and one Country-Singer-Acoustic-Guitar-Dixie-Chick-Wannabe who want to do albums in my studio.
"hey babe, how's it going. i hear you sing. maybe play some guitar. but beyond that, you got a smokin little body. wanna come back to my room and lay down some tracks in my home studio? you see, i'm really a record producer. i know it might not look like much but i can at least crank out the same quality the old timers from the eighties did. boston. styx. journey. foreigner. hell, i can easily sound as good as those guys with my home setup here....hell, i can at least make you sound as good as that avril chick...."
Very close. Actually it's more like:

"Hey babe, how's it going. I hear you sing. Maybe play some guitar. But beyond that, you got a smokin little body. Have you ever wanted to record some of your own music? I don't have much equipment, actually, it's not even a real studio, but if you want to stop by sometime and see what we could push out, it would be no problem for me at all. Here's a cd with some stuff I've already recorded. Hell, I can at least make you sound as good as that Avril chick..."

To which the responce to the last sentence would probably be something like:

"Oh my god, Really?"
Caravan Ray wrote:
Southwest_Statistic wrote:
Every time I meet a musically-talented female with a good body, I offer her a "Record Deal" on the spot.
What can you do for a middle-aged public servant with advancing male pattern baldness and a beer-gut?
Just shave your head, take up smoking, and wear all black. You would look like the guy from Staind.
Leaf wrote:
I would jump on that opportunity so fast. Every time I meet a musically-talented female with a good body, I offer her a "Record Deal" on the spot. So far I have one Punk-Rock-Chick and one Country-Singer-Acoustic-Guitar-Dixie-Chick-Wannabe who want to do albums in my studio.
1st point. You sir, are a slut.
2nd point. and amen to that.
3rd point. Seriously, that sounds very ...slimey. and icky. and ...well, scratchy too if you hook up with the wrong girl.
I know.