Harry Potter

Because some of us can read.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

But to quote Mr Sparks again
sparks wrote: I read about fifteen pages of OotP and couldn't stop reading it. Stayed up all night to finish it.
mediocre writing doesn't make me stay up all night to finish books.
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro on a clapped out Mac, or Studio One on PC
Submitting as: Kamakura
Pronouns: he/him/idiot

Post by Kamakura »

Caravan Ray wrote:mediocre writing doesn't make me stay up all night to finish books.
True, but if the story grabs you you might. :)
The net is oveflowing with Harry Potter fiction, a lot of it better written than JKR's original - including many at Novel length! :shock: However it is her world, and as such, no matter how well or appallingly you think she writes, she's going to be read... A bit like the Bible.

Back to the ashes! Grrr.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Kamakura wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:mediocre writing doesn't make me stay up all night to finish books.
True, but if the story grabs you you might. :)
That's what I don't agree with. How do you differentiate between the "story" and the "writing". If someone writes a book, and you can't put the bastard down - then that person is a bloody good writer.

Just like when you hear a song and you can't resist shaking your booty - the only conclusion that the booty shaker can draw is - "whoever put that song together is quite a competent booty mobiliser".
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Um, there is a huge difference between a great writer and a great storyteller. Storytelling comes from a long spoken tradition. The craft of writing doesn't, obviously.

Take Martin Amis, for instance. The craft of his books since 'money' is breath-taking. Each sentence is a joy to behold. But he hasn't told a good story since 'money' - he has nothing to say, but he says it well, in other words.

j$
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

How do you differentiate between the "story" and the "writing".
The "story" is what happens, while the "writing" is how the author tells you what happens.
Let cake eat them.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

the Jazz, J$ and Kamakura wrote: a lot of stuff which I have no argument with
My specific gripe was with Sparks' statement:
"...I read about fifteen pages of OotP and couldn't stop reading it. Stayed up all night to finish it" - and then in the next breath implying that JKR was not a particularly good writer.

This I find silly and bearing a slight whiff of literary snobbery. If you can't put the book down - then the writers doing a fine job.

(For what it's worth - I actually thought OotP, compared to the others, wasn't particularly good writing - It has been the only HP book that I have been able to "put down")
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Well, it also depends on how involved you get in the story, and perhaps you don't notice how bad the writing is until you're partway through the book. I wouldn't say she's a poor writer, but none of the Potter books have been that impressive apart from the story. They are kids' books, after all, and anyone who tries to tell you different is in denial.

As far as literary snobbery, well, yeah. This is sparks we're talking about.
Let cake eat them.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

started reading it last night... 10 pages, 600-something to go :)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro on a clapped out Mac, or Studio One on PC
Submitting as: Kamakura
Pronouns: he/him/idiot

Post by Kamakura »

Is this just too weird, or is it me?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050729/140/fog7g.html
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Kamakura wrote:Is this just too weird, or is it me?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050729/140/fog7g.html
Surely the Ministry of Magic has an Magical Planning Department who does Environmental Impact Assessments of large scale public infrastucture magic - that sounds like a conference I really can't afford to miss. I'm sure my government will be happy to send me along at the tax-payers expense!

I think I'll start preparing a paper to present: "Muggle Bureaucracy: Is It All Just A Goblin Plot?"