Mixing with your mind

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Bell Green
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Mixing with your mind

Post by Bell Green »

http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/index.htm

I was googlin around looking for articles on speaker placement and came across this. August 2004. Anyone seen it before? Has it already been discussed and reviewed here? It's 99 AUD, which is about 42 GBP (including postage). I think that's a bit pricey for a book, but maybe it's worth it for the goldmine of tips tha it offers.

Your comments appreciated.
so . . . when was the last time you backed up?
Bell Green
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Bell Green »

Googled around for a few reviews. Some good some bad as always I guess. But more good than bad ones. As my old bass teacher used to say, "even if you learn one thing from a book, it was worth buying".

I think I'm gonna go for it. It's coming from Australia so may take a while to arrive. We shall see.
Bell Green
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Bell Green »

My book arrived in the post yesterday all the way from Aus. I spent most of the day dipping into it. I read the chapter on compressors in the evening and tried out the methods. Even with software plug-ins I managed to get that "expensive" sound. This morning I tried it with the basic opto compressor on my preamp while inputting some live bass guitar and I can get it fatter without squashing the life out of it. Finally I can see and hear what I'm doing. This book was worth it just for this chapter alone.

Can't wait to experiment with some of the mic placement tips.

It is aimed at studio engineers, so a basic understanding is assumed. Thus I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

well cool.
how technical is it?
i just have to mention that this thread title makes me think of some joke from mystery science theater 3000. does anybody know what i'm talking about?
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Freddielove
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Freddielove »

So what do you think of the rest of it? With a forward from George Martin I would think there would be a lot to learn from it.
Everything But the Girl but without the scary big chinned woman

- Furrypedro