(I Wish I Were) Oversleeping Reviews

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Lyricburglar
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Lyricburglar »

On first listen - I may elaborate and refine later:

[GOOD]
15-16 Puzzle
State Shirt
Hostess Mostess
DJ Snyder et al
Papercut Brigade
Produce
All Onion Diet

[OK]
Those Meddling Kids
Melvin
Ross Durand
Doscientos
RattPoizen
PiGPEN
Johnny Cashpoint
Glenn Case

[BAD]
Truth & Regret
Kevn Griffing
Cara Bray
DJ Dick
Klownhole

Vote currently looks like going to HoMo.
Liechty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Liechty »

ephedream wrote:That sounds like some of the fake BoC that was getting' around prerelease. Well not the rap stuff.
I'm a big fan of BoC (both bands). but, i never saw the fake stuff: do you have a link for a torrent or anything?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Some thoughts:

All Onion Diet: This is the catchiest song of the fight. I'm not too fond of the arrangement. I mean, it's okay but I would like to hear a version that's slower, with less instruments and less hiphop drums. I think this would translate really well to a stripped down version. The descending melody line on "two oversleeping fools" wouldn't feel rushed, and you could really stretch into it and sell it. I think this melody really suits your voice well. This is a good song.

Doscientos: Hmmmm, I should like this song more that I do. It starts off pretty good. But then like 3/4 of the way through the verse, it just takes the easy way out and turns into a 1-4-5ish thing. Same thing with the bridge: cool start and then it kind of takes the easy way out and just finishes up so that it can move on the next part. Cool feel to the song, and good dynamics throughout. I like this song.

Glenn Case: Sleepiest sounding song, in that weird way that time slows down when you are trying to get in a catnap, like you close your eyes for 5 minutes and then it's 2 hours later. Like, the song sounds relaxing and slow, but fast at the same time. The song is all very nice and Glenncasey, and then the second part comes in-- it seems very unGlenncasey and is a very unexpected direction to turn the song in. I think the bridge really makes the song for me. Nice.

HostessMostess: From the very first notes of this song, it really feels like a timebomb that is destined to explode at some point in the song. I kept waiting for it, and I wanted it to just erupt into wailing guitars and feedback at the end. That's my problem, I guess. I like the reserved, slighty tense feel of the song. I reallyreally like the tone of the guitar that comes in on the "isn't our problem" part-- it sounds so flat and thin and just completely awesome. Ohman, yeah, right at 2:48 I get excited everytime, I'm all like "Ohboy, here comes the chaos" but then no. Still, nice song.

Produce: Hmmm, this would probably sound a lot better if it was produced better. Hmmm, the whole thing "I was in a dream" thing that starts off the rap is kind of weak; I thought the whole "Waking like is getting more and more tiring" thing was where it started getting interesting. I'm not going to be playing this like every day or anything, but it's pretty fun.

State Shirt: "All I wanted was to oversleep again" is the best line in the fight. That pretty much sums it up and sells it: that someone would aspire towards what is technically a mistake, just so they can be asleep for longer. Man, this is some sad stuff. Very nice in its sadness. I'll look this one up again when I'm in a mood for some melancholy.

More reviews later on if the weather permits.
ephedream
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by ephedream »

Liechty wrote:
ephedream wrote:That sounds like some of the fake BoC that was getting' around prerelease. Well not the rap stuff.
I'm a big fan of BoC (both bands). but, i never saw the fake stuff: do you have a link for a torrent or anything?
no..i turfed it when I piced up the cd. What do youm ean by bth bands?
pump it up!
Liechty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Liechty »

ephedream wrote:What do youm ean by bth bands?
Well I assumed you meant boards of canada, but another (pretty rockin) band shares that acronym.

BoC = Boards of Canada
BOC = Blue Oyster Cult

awesome.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Lyricburglar
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Lyricburglar »

Caravanray wrote: [GOOD]
15-16 Puzzle
State Shirt
Hostess Mostess
DJ Snyder et al
Papercut Brigade
Produce
All Onion Diet
Re-visiting

15-16: Great song, and I really like the arrangement. Unfortunately I find your accent a bit harsh to really enjoy it - but that's just a personal thing.

STATESHIRT: Great sound on this recording. Simple is hard to do well

HOSTESSMOSTESS: I liked this best first time through - had some nice vocal melody bits. Second listen didn't impress me as much - but still a good song

DJ SNYDER ET AL: Nice driving bass thing - good sound all through - enjoyable

PAPERCUTBRIGADE: This is cool in a Byrds-y sort of way. Nicely sloppy. I like it.

PRODUCE: This starts off great - but the rapping lets it down a bit. I like your delivery - I think its the lyrics that kill it for me

ALLONIONDIET: Is this Deshead? Very professional sounding effort. Good song - really nice melody. This gets better every time I hear it.

JOHNNY CASHPOINT: I've upgraded you from "OK" - but only just. Far from my favourite J$ song - it just sounds a bit dull and uninteresting by comparison to your other stuff - but it is still better than most here.

After further listens - I will vote for the Onion people - though papercut brigade is a very close second
Lyricburglar
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Lyricburglar »

Caravanray wrote: [OK]
Those Meddling Kids
Melvin
Ross Durand
Doscientos
RattPoizen
PiGPEN
Johnny Cashpoint
Glenn Case
Those Meddling Kids - great instrumental. I like it - but it dosen't say the title to me

Melvin - nothing you do is bad - but this is the song of yours that I have enjoyed least. Does nothing for me

Ross Durand: Nice background strings - and some nice strong vocals. I probably should give this [good] - but I have a bit of mellow overload in this fight

Doscientos - you must be an awsome live band. This isn't your best effort though

RattPoizen - this has some good moments - not enough though. The rockin' sounds a bit too Midi-y

PiGPEN - I don't like your vocals here (and I usually do like your vocals)

Glenn Case - Very good. Like Ross D, you only miss out on [good] classification because Stateshirt and HoMo took up the 2 available 'good guytar' spots
Lyricburglar
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Lyricburglar »

[BAD]
Ok - I'll finish it off:

Truth & Regret: Music not very interesting - vocals off key

Kevn Griffing: Instumental - and not a very interesting one

Cara Bray: There is a lot that is good about this - but it doesn't work together as a song. I like the faster bit at the end - but then even that goes for too long

DJ Dick: Bad

Klownhole: Not bad - I just don't like it
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

Caravanray wrote: PiGPEN - I don't like your vocals here (and I usually do like your vocals)
Aww cmon, fake british accent with too many effects!
Lyricburglar
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Lyricburglar »

PiGPEN wrote:
Caravanray wrote: PiGPEN - I don't like your vocals here (and I usually do like your vocals)
Aww cmon, fake british accent with too many effects!
What exactly is a British accent? (I bet StueyM could write pages on this :wink: )
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

Caravanray wrote:What exactly is a British accent? (I bet StueyM could write pages on this :wink: )
Why pages? Very very simple...
The British accent is any accent born of and distinctly associated with Britain.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

PiGPEN wrote:
Caravanray wrote:What exactly is a British accent? (I bet StueyM could write pages on this :wink: )
The British accent is any accent born of and distinctly associated with Britain.
That's at least a dozen plainly recognizable different accents then, and dozens of tiny regional accents.
Songfighter since back in the day.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

That sounds like a challenge, but I will restrain myself (a little).

Suffice to say that when I worked as the manager of an ophthalmic hospital in Wolverhampton I quickly learned there is a clear distinction between a "Black country accent" (Area to North and West of Birmingham) and a Brummy Accent (areas in the city of Birmingham). What amazed me was that the nurses could tell within the Black country which town some one was from just by their accent and turn of phrase. This could come down to differentiating between villages that were barely 5 miles apart.

Almost every region of UK has that narrow a range of differentiations to the trained ear which is amazing given the general homogenization of cultures generally. But to most overseas visitors the nuances would be less obvious.
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

Bjam wrote:That's at least a dozen plainly recognizable different accents then, and dozens of tiny regional accents.
Yup, that's why my definition was so broad.
I went for one of the more typical ones.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Caravanray wrote:Those Meddling Kids - great instrumental. I like it - but it doesn't say the title to me
hey thanks man :) . I admit that a title connection to any instrumental track is tenuous, and that maybe I was a bit lazy for not writing lyrics. I just thought with this track that there wasn't really any room in the piece for a vocal line so why clutter it.
jeff robertson
Panama
Instruments: guitar, bass, programming
Recording Method: Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: FLVXXVM FLORVM, Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jeff robertson »

PiGPEN wrote:
It takes a bit of work for a southern US redneck to tell the difference between England (all parts of it), Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, ??. The only non-American english "accents" we can recognize are Scottish and Irish. The rest are all "British".
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

I grew up in England, but as I've been living in the US for 3 years, I more often get Australian/New Zealand/South African as an accent guess. Crazy hybrid accent, woo!
Songfighter since back in the day.
PiGPEN
Push Comes to Shove

Post by PiGPEN »

I grew up in America so i have the accent, here in Australia i usually get asked if im Canadian though.....i think its more wishful thinking than them thinking i sound Canucky though.
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

My vote goes to Melvin.

Originality means writing music from the heart, not screwing around to try and make something "different" than what comes naturally.

The "I only listen to Indie" bullshit is the most cliche load of puke.

FACT IS: WE'RE ALL INDIE, YOU BITCHES.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

jeff robertson wrote:
PiGPEN wrote:
It takes a bit of work for a southern US redneck to tell the difference between England (all parts of it), Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, ??. The only non-American english "accents" we can recognize are Scottish and Irish. The rest are all "British".
There's a difference between Scottish and Irish? ;)
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

boltoph wrote:Originality means writing music from the heart, not screwing around to try and make something "different" than what comes naturally
What if writing from the heart makes you Britney Spears?
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
Lyricburglar
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Lyricburglar »

jeff robertson wrote:
PiGPEN wrote:
If I ever start to sound like a South African or a New Zealander - please kill me.