Video games, etc.

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

By the way, I know you posted it way back but the Godfather game is awesome.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale
Pronouns: he/him

Post by rone rivendale »

If you have a Gamecube, you have to get Super Smash Bros Melee it's the best GC game there is. Especially if you have alot of friends who play videogames. Best 4 player game on any system.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Ahem, Goldeneye.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

WeaselSlayer wrote:Ahem, Goldeneye.
Amen.
Songfighter since back in the day.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Ohhhh. I have a wii, bitches! It's crazy fun and totally worth camping out in the freezing cold for a few(9) hours.
Songfighter since back in the day.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

If you want to try to get a Wii or PS3, Amazon's currently allowing people with existing accounts to register for a lottery to get a chance to buy one on Tuesday (which works a lot better than making the website slow to a crawl for an hour after the entire stock sells out in 30 seconds). Currently the best odds are on the 20GB PS3 (go figure).

You have until Midnight tonight (PST), so about 5.5 hours after the time of this posting, and then the raffle will happen on Tuesday.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yes, the problem is people who don't use the wrist strap. There is NO WAY they're actually breaking on people in normal use. Also all currently-shipping consoles have even thicker strap connectors.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Revive!

I'm looking for an fps fix. Single player is fine, almost preferred, 'cause I kind of want something for the times I don't have internet access.

I've played the hell out of Hitman II, and I can't find a working torrent for Hitman III. I'm looking for a game in this general vein I think. The Punisher fit the bill, but the game was pretty short, and a little easy/lame.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good PC fps with lots of single-player replay value? My machine is decent, but I might not be able to handle the really high-end stuff.
🤠
Tonamel
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Tonamel »

The best FPS that comes to mind is No One Lives Forever, which is a James Bond parody fps. It's not at all like Hitman, but I'm not sure I know any games that are like that one. Never played Punisher, so I coudn't say there.

But NOLF is awesomely hilarious, and it has some of the most inventive/fun level design I've ever seen.

If you want something more serious, you might want to look into Deus Ex. It's a conspiracy theory laden rpg/fps hybrid.

These are both a few years old, and they're also better than their sequels.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

My only recent FPS was Metroid Prime II, which I liked a lot (and I don't normally like FPSes), but I didn't get very far before I got distracted by other games.
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

fluffy wrote:My only recent FPS was Metroid Prime II, which I liked a lot (and I don't normally like FPSes), but I didn't get very far before I got distracted by other games.
Metroid Prime 2 is the SHIT. I'm hell of looking forward to 3 for the Wii. I have Call of Duty 3 for the Wii, and though I'm disappointed by the lack of multiplayer, the actual control for the game is pretty sweet. But DO NOT BUY RED STEEL. Man that game is balls.
Am I rockin' hard, or hardly rockin'?
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

Tonamel wrote:The best FPS that comes to mind is No One Lives Forever,
Took the words right out of my mouth. The sequel, A Spy In H.A.R.M's Way, is really good too. Other obvious choices are Half-Life 1 & 2 and System Shock 2 (if you want to get into more of the RPG side of FPS).
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

I've been playing MTX motocross on my pc for the last day or two, and it is tremendously awful. The concept, look, feel, and physics are great, but the input detection is so terrible that the game is nearly impossible to play.

Have you, in the past couple years, gone back and played Mortal Kombat 1? It's nearly impossible to play for the same reason. No matter how smoothly you make that down-forward arc, SubZero just won't fucking throw his freeze shit.

If the input detection was as good as the Tony Hawk series, MTX would be an awesome game.
🤠
EmbersOfAutumn
Mean Street
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Bass, Keyboards
Recording Method: Adobe Audition
Submitting as: Embers of Autumn

Post by EmbersOfAutumn »

Huge Nerd Alert:

A week ago, I started an epic quest to go through every single Final Fantasy in the series 1 - 12 (sans 11, for obvious reasons if anyone knows Final Fantasy). I'm trying to go through them all in one year's-time, a very manageable feat, though I'm behind a few days on my mapped-out-45-minutes-a-day schedule. But now that my song is mixed, I can make up for lost time.
"Out of all I've learned in Life,
You always keep your friends close to your heart,
cause they'll help you if you're falling down..."
- The Ataris - Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, B, A, Start
EmbersOfAutumn
Mean Street
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Bass, Keyboards
Recording Method: Adobe Audition
Submitting as: Embers of Autumn

Post by EmbersOfAutumn »

The Sober Irishman wrote:X-2 is fantastic, the best since 8 in my opinion. Pick it up in the used bin at Blockbuster for $8 like I did.

Been hacking through XII a bit more today. Where's the minigame? Blitzball, the cardgame.. where is it? (X-2 has an awesome minigame btw). And god did that palace invasion turn into a bataan death march or what?
You, sir, are no Final Fantasy efficianado. X-2, 8? these are like the worst of the series, hands down. Not to bash 8, because it does have it's charms, but seriously, you're one of those freaks that believe that "Final Fantasy didn't really start until 7", right? Good graphics and that's it, because other than eye candy, I gots no idea what X-2 had going for it.
"Out of all I've learned in Life,
You always keep your friends close to your heart,
cause they'll help you if you're falling down..."
- The Ataris - Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, B, A, Start
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs

final fantasy

Post by The Weakest Suit »

final fantasy 7 (although one of the reasons i dropped out of med school) is definitely not one of my favorites of the series.

my favorite would have to be 10. it's like a great novel and a great movie combined.
my favorite old school ff games would have to be what was released in america as 2 and 3 (i think they are actually 4 and 6). one had the dark knight who becomes a paladin, and the other had locke, the ninja, and the interactive opera scene. i have them on the ds now, and they are still awesome games.

as far as FPS, i don't know if this counts, but RE4 is kick ass in the "amost" FPS department.

edit: i can't believe i forgot to mention the original final fantasy tactics. that game was amazing. the tactics advance did not have the same magic, but i hear the original is getting a re-release soon. you should add that one to your list to take the place of 11. (tactics also has some of the best music of the series since 4 and 6).
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

Oh my god, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is boring and sucks. Every fucking quest is "get this thing and then stick it in this slot where it fits, eight screens away, and you have to kill all these zombies with a blowgun or some bullshit." What a boring, shitty, piece of shit. Why did everybody tell me I have to buy this game. The story sucks too.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

mkilly wrote:Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Wow, that seems like the most hackneyed, contrived silly name of a game that I've heard in a long time.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I've heard lots of good stuff about Eternal Darkness and it's on my list of games to buy eventually. It was a really early (launch?) title for the Game Cube so it's not like it's expensive or anything.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

fluffy wrote:I've heard lots of good stuff about Eternal Darkness and it's on my list of games to buy eventually. It was a really early (launch?) title for the Game Cube so it's not like it's expensive or anything.
Yeah. Pretty sure I'd be willing to part with my copy, when you're in the market.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

EmbersOfAutumn wrote:
You, sir, are no Final Fantasy efficianado.
I stand behind my assertion that 8 was one of the best in the series. My favorite game of all time, however, remains 6. Also the best music in any game ever made.

Fuck it. List time:

1. FF6 SNES
2. Civilization (1 or 4) PC
3. Super Mario RPG SNES
4. Thrasher: Skate and Destroy PSX
5. River City Ransom NES
6. Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest) NES
7. Goldeneye N64
8. Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness PC
9. Hybrid Heaven N64
10. Mortal Kombat 4 N64
11-N. SimCity2k, Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country, Kingdom Hearts, GTA, and a million other games

I can't stand Tactics games, so I can't speak to those. The GBA and GB FF "Legends" games were pretty cool.

Oh, and I thought System Shock 2 sucked. I also thought Deus Ex had great potential, but was pretty meh. I don't like the way that engine feels at all. N.O.L.F. has a fantastic engine, but the game was a little short. I can't find a reliable torrent for NOLF2.

I want to play a WWII fps. Did you guys like Call of Duty? I think I'll check that out.
🤠