good synth/keyboard

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Koushirou
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

good synth/keyboard

Post by Koushirou »

what would be a good keyboard/synth to get for rock/pop music... something at a reasonable price and also something common enough that i can just get it at guitar center or something (would rather not go pawn shop-hunting). i was thinking of a microkorg... but while i only got to play around with it for a couple of minutes, it seemed more techno-oriented. am i wrong about this? etc. etc., thxxxxx :D
bz£
Panama

Re: good synth/keyboard

Post by bz£ »

Koushirou wrote:what would be a good keyboard/synth to get for rock/pop music... something at a reasonable price and also something common enough that i can just get it at guitar center or something (would rather not go pawn shop-hunting). i was thinking of a microkorg... but while i only got to play around with it for a couple of minutes, it seemed more techno-oriented. am i wrong about this? etc. etc., thxxxxx :D
I got the same impression of the microkorg- seems like it's mostly geared towards techno or hip hop sounds. And four voice polyphony is kinda weak. You might want to be more specific about what your idea of a reasonable price is, though.

A microkorg is gonna cost you about $400. The only reasonable competitor is an Alesis Micron, which looks a little nicer to me for the same money. Don't go by that too much, though, because you probably wouldn't be using it the same way I would. Both are likely to be more than you want to pay/need.

A good cheap solution is to just get a midi controller, like an Oxygen 8. It's like a keyboard with no sounds- you'd hook it up to your computer and use it to play software synths (and there are plenty of those that you can get for free). If you're only gonna use it to record into your computer then this is probably the way to go. If you're a trained pianist then you might not like a two-octave keyboard, but I'm guessing you aren't, since you didn't seem revolted by the microkorg's keyboard.

You might also just skip Guitar Center and go to Radio Shack or something for a cheap Casio. It's not gonna sound as nice or have as much flexibility but it will be just as much fun to play. And lots cheaper. And easier to use. (My main synth came with a 270 page manual. If you just want to turn it on and play music then you might be happier with something simple).
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

synth...techno...duh...
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

Somehow I don't think any of these are what you're looking for (none are in retail circulation), but it might give you some ideas:

Cheap Thrift-Store Keyboards: I've been collecting cheap ($1-$4) keyboards/electronics from Goodwill for fun and future circuit bending; I visit a few times a week, and find some weird stuff. My favorites so far are the Yamaha VSS-30 and Casio SK60. In the "freaks" category, a Kawasaki keyboard (whose pitch increases with the tempo), the Play & Jam (which is a half-step below the note you think you're playing), and the Stylophone (play a keyboard with a stylus? and no volume control? with an awful buzzing sound?). None of these have polyphony greater than 4 or so, nor built-in MIDI support, so this probably isn't what you want. But damn, they're fun.

It's several years old now (so my opinion is probably outdated here), but my favorite consumer-level keyboard has been the Yamaha PSR-520; it goes for $100-$200 on eBay lately. The sounds lack a bass-y punch, but overall are pretty good for MIDI compositions. Some old songs I recorded on it from '99: synth-guitar rock, laid-back, piano jam.

More recently, Bolio's turned me onto the Yamaha PSRD1-DJX keyboard, which I got for $100 (mint) on eBay. The presets are geared more toward techno/electronica stuff, but the bass is solid and the non-techno instruments are decent for this price range. Also, it has a pitch bend, which allows great expression and doesn't always come in the $100 range.

Since you don't like the pawn-shop idea, and I don't know much about current offerings, all I can suggest is:

1) Pitch bends are expressive, especially whenever you want to simulate a stringed instrument; try to get one on your 'board
2) Modulation wheels are nice too, but (imho) not as important as a pitch bend
3) Check for midi input and output ports; not all keyboards have this
4) If you don't plan to play live much, don't pay too much attention to the keyboard's built-in synth. It's good for generating ideas, but you'll probably find you can get great studio-quality sounds by using software synthesizers and soundfonts.
5) Weighted keys are problematic when recording live keyboard-drum takes; it's hard to hit the same key several times in a short period of time
6) If you can, test the keyboard's action before you buy it. Different brands/models react differently to your touch; some feel flimsy (e.g. Yamaha typically does for me over time), others more sturdy (e.g. Casios hold up better in this house)
7) Sustain pedals are also hugely important (and they're cheap). Most keyboards seem to have sustain ports these days, but you might want to check anyway.

Anyway, those are $0.02 from someone a little out of touch with reality.
LMNOP
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by LMNOP »

Assuming you want pro-gear rather than toy-gear, think about a Korg M1 off of E-Bay. Probably run you $300 or so. This is like 20 year-old technology but it's a classic and I still carry one around to gigs. The "acoustic" sounds (piano, horns, strings, drums) are better than the "electronic" ones (organ, clav, etc.) but you can hear the presets on this thing on all kinds of recordings that came out in the late 80's or so. Keys are unweighted, polyphony is like 16 sounds, I think. Onboard effects are pretty good, sequencer is hurting for memory in today's terms.

A rule of thumb for pro vs. toy: get something that has a substantial power cord that plugs into both the keyboard and an outlet. A "wall wart" transformer and its skinny little cord isn't what you want if you're dragging gear around.
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

Another thing to look out for on ebay would be a yamaha an1x. It has some techno-moments, but it has been used in [prog]rock contexts as well.

More importantly to me nowadays, it is an excellent softsynth controller. Really nice feeling keys and lots of knobs.

-craig
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Yeah, save your money and get a nice-feeling MIDI controller with as many keys as you think you'll need. I have a Roland XP-60, and although it's great, I end up using it as a MIDI controller most of the time, cause Reason is really really great.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

hi

sonofsupercar make extensive use of the microkorg in our very much not techno songs. it is a fun, reliable unit that does not mind a little beer and moshing. the sounds are mostly tweakable, altho for noise insanity we use the Yamaha AN-200. it also has two different vocoder inputs and comes with a completely useless but funny looking microphone. i give it five indie-stars and a thumb up anne coulter's ass.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Sober »

Once again, man-up and get a:

Yamaha Motif ES 6, 7, or 8
Roland Fantom X 6, 7, or 8

Anything less is for failures. :mrgreen:
🤠
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

Ok, good chance I could be getting that Motif pretty soon. If my apartment deposit comes back, if I can get some money from the club, and if I can fend my dad off from collecting money from me for a bit...

When I get this, I will shortly begin stomping all over faces.
🤠
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

I'm buying the Motif ES 7 tomorrow.

Debt is the word.
🤠
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

I know this makes like 4 posts in a row for me, but:

ROCK!(tm)

Just got it today.

You can get one of these badasses for around $2,000.

The keyboard, I mean. Not me.
🤠
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

lol
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

so, what's so good about it?

-=craig
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

it will stop a small boat in wind under 5 knots.
Sober
Ice Cream Man

Post by Sober »

starfinger wrote:so, what's so good about it?

-=craig
This.

I was bored, and I'm fleshing out Firepod+Cubase issues.
🤠