Hey captain, did you say I sin? (Capsaicin Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Hey captain, did you say I sin? (Capsaicin Reviews)

Post by wages »

And, may I ask a question? I already submited a tune for "Lava Lamp", and I also have a demo take on Capsaicin. Does anyone mind if I post Capsaicin as a second entry (I swear there's no chance it'll get votes, I just want to get impressions)? Or would yall prefer I just post a link to the song here? LMK by 8 AM Fr either by private message or posting here. Thx!
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

only submit one.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Collaborate.
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

Mogosagatai wrote:Collaborate.
Anyone want to screw with a weird tune that's probably got areas of being outta time? I'll send it to you.
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

yah i'll give it a go
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

Denyer wrote:yah i'll give it a go
Here ya go: http://www.thoughtconspiracy.com/songfi ... saicin.mp3

I'm eager to see what you do with it (if possible).
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

oh em gee. songfight standart time tis 3 days later.
phatcactus
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by phatcactus »

That is simultaneously the greatest and worst thing I've ever heard. Way to go!
Ratt Poizon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: 6 string, 7 sting, sitar, and bass guitar. Drum Machine. Pint Glass.
Recording Method: Milwaukee's Best, 1989 Tascam midistudio 688 (cassette), E-Mu Px7, and that's about it.

Post by Ratt Poizon »

hey... who does that "ride..... captain, ride... upon your...(blah blah blah)" song? that's a good song. I think. boo-yah!
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: mine
Recording Method: wishful thinking
Submitting as: Thanks for the Frisbee

Post by Thanks For The Frisbee »

Wages wrote:
Denyer wrote:yah i'll give it a go
Here ya go: http://www.thoughtconspiracy.com/songfi ... saicin.mp3

I'm eager to see what you do with it (if possible).
i like the way you sing this one. did you actually submit it for this week?
Thanks for the frisbee is on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music ect.
wages
Panama

Post by wages »

Thanks For The Frisbee wrote:
No, I submitted one for Lava Lamp.

For <I>this</I> song I wrote the lyrics, spent 5 minutes on working out a song structure/melody, and recorded it once. That's it. When I work on a song for a while (as I did for Lava Lamp and most entries I make...a while being more than an hour), it usually undergoes several changes. I also tend to change the way I sing a song as I work on it, but not intentionally. It just sort of happens. I typically like the first way I sang it, but I usually have difficulty returning to that sound. Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks for the Frisbee....thanks for liking it! :D
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: mine
Recording Method: wishful thinking
Submitting as: Thanks for the Frisbee

Post by Thanks For The Frisbee »

Wages wrote:
Thanks For The Frisbee wrote:
I typically like the first way I sang it, but I usually have difficulty returning to that sound. Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? If so, any suggestions?
i do know what you're saying, i dont know if my advice will help but
here it is anyways. if you like the way you sing something it might help to keep practicing only that part of the song until it is set in stone. that way when you get to that part you will instinctively sing it the way you want.
i have the same problem when i write, i just want to finish the song so i speed through it. but ive found working in stages helps me to keep some sort of consistancy ( i think ). but there is also alot to be said about
just letting it fly and seeing where you end up. finding a balance is the tricky part. you might try doing what you did with capsiasin and record your first run just as a reminder. thats all i got. hope it helps.
Thanks for the frisbee is on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music ect.
Nigel (spOOn) Clements
Mean Street
Instruments: None... But I use Reason 3.0, an iAxe 624 and an old beaten up acoustic, and sometimes I hit things.
Recording Method: Reason 3.0, Magix Audio Studio 11 Deluxe, Samson C01U USB Studio Condenser Microphone.
Submitting as: Nigel Clements, Accessory Twelve, @eclectic spOOns, Cynthia Size

Post by Nigel (spOOn) Clements »

What happened to Leichty's reviews that were here a moment ago?

Curious... anyway here goes with some reviews.

RattPoizon: Nice intro, good use of samples (Dumb and Dumber?) I like the spelling line, okay more samples, getting a tad tedious, okay 2 minutes in the songs started and someones started screaming, aha! 2:30 and the song starts again, what's going on here guys, this is like three or four really good song's or maybe that should be three or four really good intro's with far too many samples. 6/10

Triptolemus's Notions Unto Hoi Polloi: 7 minutes!! okay I hope it's not going to be continuing in this documentary style... aha! I get it! right this is very clever, but it's far too long for the idea, the backing track which was really quite pleasant 4 minutes ago has now become annoying, and the continual reporter style samples has now lost my attention, but I will persevere, sorry guys this is a terrific idea but I'd probably never listen to this again, but I feel like I've learned an awful lot by the end, thank you!
6/10

Produce: Okay sample intro again, sounds like newsreel, backing track and vocal is too low there needs to be something bouncing around in the higher range. rap is good, nice and fluid, alternate voices work well, not liking the really low voice though, yeah this is very competent but I'd like to hear something in the higher range just to counterpoint everything else.
6.5/10

Carpetburn: Ah! indie pop, cool, okay by 25 seconds in I'm hooked, I'm liking your voice, slightly wobbly, mostly beathless, the breaks are good, but maybe there are too many, this is beginning to sound like three good ideas welded together, vocal seems to have jumped further up into the mix by 2 minutes, but then the instrumentation joins it, it would have been nice if everything had come forward together! a touch too long for the style of song but very likeable. 7/10

Dark Side of Archaeology: Is this 'New Metal' or 'Grunge Rock'? I can't make out too much of the lyric line here, though I like the slightly satanic noises, the radio interferrence style is a nice change, get rid of the "ah yeah's" they seem so out of place, overall nice driving sound, don't normally like this style but I'd have to say you've nearly converted me, I'd like to hear more of your stuff based on this. 7/10

Cow Exchange: Oh yeah I love that organ, excellent singing, (I've read the lyrics for this beforehand and was intrigued as to how it would sound), fuck this is great"! stopping typing, just listening now....

... Original, enjoyable, bouncing, danceable, can't say a bad word about this. 11/10

Steve Durand: Nice Mexican feel to this Steve, and you've almost nailed the vocal, I'd suggest you re-record this with just a touch or Rrrrrrr in your voice, this is so close to being perfect, my wife is south american, and she's given this her stamp of approval, Good Job! 8/10

TB: I actually quite like the style of this, I skipped it after 30 seconds first time round, but now, I'm quite liking the mock 1920's feel, like something added to one of those old silent movies, and the applause at the end is sweet. 7/10

spOOns: I worked all week on Lava Lamp, and had almost a really good song, very dark and sinister, and I gave up with it Thursday morning, had a change of heart and threw this nonsense together, luckily it's only 1:59.

Fish Sausage: nice atmospheric intro, but please don't go down the sample documentary/school teacher route... oh you did! okay on it's merits, this wouldn't be out of place on the Shamen's 'Phorward' album, instrumentation is spot on in the mix, just after the first "you get the idea" it would have been nice to have erupted into something really rocking, part of the archaeology or rattpoizon song would have fitted nicely just then, sadly it's just gone on to repeat itself, by 3:12 I'm looking how much longer is left.
6/10

Cow exchange by a mile, this would be another Steve Durand winner if not for that, (am now searching the archive for more Cow exchange!)
Cärpetbürn
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Cärpetbürn »

@eclectic spOOns: There's lots of ideas in this, but i feel like it's not all gelling properly and part of my problem with it is that the vocals sound so mundane compared to the rest of the track. This would be so much better with a vocal that was actually sung (or maybe even whispered) or had some flavour but this ends up being really flat which is a shame.

Carpetburn: I've never written a song in openC before this.

the Cow Exchange: ooh lively! this reminds me a lot of Dogs die in Hot cars. I think perhaps one of the synth lines could have been dropped in pursuit of a bit of clarity but it's all good. it feels like all the instruments are desperately racing each other towards the end, like some kind of audio Wacky Races. cool

The Dark side of Archaeology: This is pretty similar to the Cow exchange track in the sense that the overall feel is pretty good but there's too many elements fighting each other for space. It does manage to stay the right side of being aural mush but it's close, and a bit more space in the mix would've helped the dynamics a lot. as it is it's a bit relentless and tiring on the ears.

Fish Sausage: This doesn't sound bad, but the sample doesn't hold my interest for very long, and i can't imagine ever wanting to listen to this further than halfway. the outro is alright, you should made that a breakdown and milked it out a bit instead of having that loop for 5 minutes.

Produce: did you namedrop Flaming Lips? cool. parts of this are kinda good and it reminds me of some anticon stuff (which is the only hip-hop i can be bothered with most of the time). that beat is way too weak though, needs to be layered up a bit, not to make it really beefy just give it a bit of body.

rattpoizon: this was losing me a bit until I heard George Sr. and then the scruffy metal kicked in. Grindcore! What i like about your stuff is that although I'm not really into the individual elements I love the way they're all stuck together with a complete disgregard for conventional song structure (I wish i could destroy the concept of 'conventional song structure', at least you're doing your bit). the most annoying sound in the world is where this peaks for me. it brings back some really strange (but good) memories. you could never have known that but well done anyway.

Steve Durand: I like the sound of this so far, very fruity. I'm gonna listen to that again right away, is it too short? the fact that i think it might be means it's great cos it feels so much better to listen to something twice rather than to skip it. you are a true SF gem. brilliant. vote

TB: you did a very good job of making it sound like you taped this off the radio. but i don't understand, if you actually recorded this (as opposed to having taped it off the radio) why make it sound so crappy? I get the vibe (in a way), it does feel like it's 1920 for a moment - totally not expecting to here anything like this on songfight so it kind of threw me. but yeah, it's pretty good at recreating that old feeling.

Triptolemus' notions unto hoi polloi: I'd be more in the mood for this if it didn't follow some other tracks which mainly use spoken word and samples. the cool thing about it is the music is so much more intriguing than the others (I'd listen to this again just to try and figure out what you did), and the speech is so much more informative. it's like a small audio documentary about crabs and monkeys, but less like attenborough and more like zissou. who is that dude speaking at around 6:44? you use him all the time but i don't know who it is. he has many pearls of wisdom to impart it would seem.

GooOOO STEVE!!
DarkSide of Archaeology
A New Player

Post by DarkSide of Archaeology »

get rid of the "ah yeah's" they seem so out of place

thats the "chorus" capsaisin. so it loses meaning if i take it out. this was a sub fight between rattpoision and i. He is drunk and sniffs Motorcycle fumes.
DarkSide of Archaeology
A New Player

reviews

Post by DarkSide of Archaeology »

Eclectic spoons- Sounds alot like Joy Division (more reverb and it would be exactly joy division) Clever. If you could keep the lowest tone that you have droned out to sustain out longer it would really tie the room together

Fish Sausage
- It really reminds me of a briefing in a war game, like i have to play quake in 30 seconds. And somehow the active ingredient in peppers is essential to our sucess. Common Sample with fellow fighter.

Dark Side- This is my song so here are my stupid lyrics
Its hot like a pepper
its cold like the flu
sore throght, sore stomach
it will digest you
try to conquer heat
try to find some water
its inside the pepper
making you perspire
capsaisin
Secret heat secret heat secret heat digesting you.

Carpetburn- Sounds like kind of like spitting with ween singing plus some rusted root. a 2.1 compression on the drums should give it the depth of your guitar and bass work. i think this is great.

Triptolemus Notions
- Less put into it then Fish sausage so in a sample based fight yours sounds minimal.

TB- Great concept had to listen to it twice to figure out if you were actually singing or if it was a sample. Really well done. breath of fresh air.

Produce-I know Kool Keith and Dr Octagon and the Spankmaster. I dig this, great way to get a scratch sound. Pitch shift? great man.

The Cow Exchange- I really dig it, alot. Really clean i do not think there is too much going on. it keeps interest straight through. That i believe is a fight between background noise and multiple instrumentation vs. drums, bass, vocal, guitar crowd. i am on the side of show me what you can do with my time. i love it.

Steve Durand Bass is a little loud. But the song Kicks. Great Lyrics and fits in style. awesome.

Rattpoison- I love that you allowed yourself to endulge in the guilty pleasure that is dance music production. your guitar work allways kills mine.
Ratt Poizon
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: 6 string, 7 sting, sitar, and bass guitar. Drum Machine. Pint Glass.
Recording Method: Milwaukee's Best, 1989 Tascam midistudio 688 (cassette), E-Mu Px7, and that's about it.

Post by Ratt Poizon »

what do you think derek? yours ain't bad, but I think RattPoizon Kicked your ass. youknow what they say, "it's all fun and games, until chuck norris eats your eyeballs."

-Jush
Treachjuris
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: piano, guitar (acoustic/lectrc), violin (acoustic/lectrc) clarinet; whatever generates sound
Recording Method: ibanez, rhodes, tascam, m-audio, darla, cubase, magix, noteworthy, mixcraft
Submitting as: Fish Sausage, Scrotean Hydra, Yummy Bug

Post by Treachjuris »

Fish Sausage: This doesn't sound bad, but the sample doesn't hold my interest for very long, and i can't imagine ever wanting to listen to this further than halfway. the outro is alright, you should made that a breakdown and milked it out a bit instead of having that loop for 5 minutes.

Thank you. Didn't realize it was going to be a 4.5 min track.
Treachjuris
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: piano, guitar (acoustic/lectrc), violin (acoustic/lectrc) clarinet; whatever generates sound
Recording Method: ibanez, rhodes, tascam, m-audio, darla, cubase, magix, noteworthy, mixcraft

Post by Treachjuris »

Fish Sausage: nice atmospheric intro, but please don't go down the sample documentary/school teacher route... oh you did! okay on it's merits, this wouldn't be out of place on the Shamen's 'Phorward' album, instrumentation is spot on in the mix, just after the first "you get the idea" it would have been nice to have erupted into something really rocking, part of the archaeology or rattpoizon song would have fitted nicely just then, sadly it's just gone on to repeat itself, by 3:12 I'm looking how much longer is left.
6/10

Thank you. Wasn't in the mood for singing, so spoken word it was. Next fight will sing. Will devote more time on the mixdown. Time constraints. Apologies.
Treachjuris
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Re: reviews

Post by Treachjuris »

Fish Sausage[/u]- It really reminds me of a briefing in a war game, like i have to play quake in 30 seconds. And somehow the active ingredient in peppers is essential to our sucess. Common Sample with fellow fighter.

Capsaicin is essential to our success. Extremely effective in increasing one's tolerance to physical pain. Please explain "common sample."
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Dear Triptolemus.... aka TNUHP aka PHUNT,

*poke in the eye*

that's for the 7 minutes of life you just stole.

Sincerely,
Niv.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Liechty
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Liechty »

Reviews:
all of these songs are following listening to a bunch of Jay Dee, tough act to follow... lets see.

eclectic spoons - wha.

carpetburn - i cant remember the last time i had a carpet burn. i dont know how well ill be able to relate. i do remember them hurting. your song would be awesome except for one thing. "learn to sing." is an avoided phrase that ill be employing here. learn to sing. maybe its just me, but i cant follow the melodies you are aiming at with the vox.

cow exchange - i like this type of wild pop junk. hahah that thing about duct tape, i didnt understand, but was just a funny thing to hear. i guess that is some constructive critisicm. make the lyrics more intelligible. i cant really piece what you are singing about. synth overboard ending seems tacked on.

darchaeology - hahahahhahah yes. LETS DO IT>>> hahah good voice loops. ... i hope. man... thank you for going overboard wild. contendah. one negative point: your samples are played out yo. whats with all the ending silence? i didnt hear any "secret" audio.

fish sowsage - wierd intro vocals. where'd you get those descriptions of capsaicin... just curious. what. ok. i get it. she talks the whole time. hmm i would say if you are going to attempt a song like that: use some strange technique with editing or affecting the vocals. instrumentation is pretty dull after a whiles. keep it fresh with each couple measure breaks right. i have to admit the song had me skipping ahead many mouse clicks... you get the idea.

p2 - my track may need a small amount of explanation. i need to check my annunciation. i just changed "capsaicin" to "capsizing". they sound similar. its like a twist to the idea right? those are good.

rattpoizon - the only track i was looking forward to hearing from the names. hahah yes off to a good start with dumb and dumber. is capsaicin the poison "the gas man" tries to kill harry and lloyd with? i dont know anything about it: its a pill right? random metal segments broke up the sound of the fight good. hahahahha man i love your guitar wailing sounds. that super wiggle down at the end of some measures is good. good idea to end on the big gulps line. would go over well live.

tb - hahah this one and the previous track go well side by side. sounds like this was recorded off of a video camera. also sounds like you wanted to enter some random audio file for no reason. ok whatevs. opera shit.

tritolemuzleshloptobandname - going to use seavers advice on this one.
*(multiply) percussive notes with crazy vocal samples to produce a strange melody with words like "carapace and capsaicin". your melodies and instrument playing seems to be some pretty aimless, one-take shit. maybe random midis?
/(divide) capsaicin descriptions by friends who wanted to be in your song to give a dividend of a succint, unobtrusive, wierd/cool type style.

dark arch made their mark, starch crease
vote +1
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit