2%

Total votes: 41
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

How do you write down your lyrics?

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

I'm curious how people write down their lyrics. I use a pen and paper initially, maybe I'll type them out later. But mostly I have these tablets of lyrics in various states of completion lying around. It seems pretty antiquated and since a lot of folks are recording on their computers, I was wondering if they just type them out or what. Also, do you use a recorder of some sort for ideas when you're away from your normal method? If you have a specific process that you follow each time, let's hear about that too.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

I always just throw my Notepad equivalent up and then type stuff out, usually around the same time I'm figuring out the music. I guess usually lyrics follow music for me (which itself is a question often asked of musicians, that of which comes first).

At SongFight Live! 2004 I wrote the words to my Please the Pig on the back of a Dr. Pepper box, to the tune of Ken's Space Cadet. I then gave this signed original to Erik's brother-in-law's wife but I guess she lost it. Oh, well.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

They always end up on my website, so I voted computer. If I'm at home when I start a song, I just edit lyrics via MovableType on the song page. This is in "rough" status so it isn't a public page until finished. I link rough mix MP3s so that I'll have access whenever needed, and also to share with collaborators I just send them a link to the private page for lyrics and MP3. Once it's done, I update to link the final MP3 and change catagory to Music and it updates on my site, and also feeds the local and iTunes podcasts automatically.

Example: Galaxies Floating on a Dark Matter Stream which never quite got finished. But I plan on releasing it under another title to somesongs.

I sometimes capture ideas into my phone's recorder, and scribble on paper. Whatever's needed.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Almost always on the computer. Sometimes I'll use pencil/paper, but it's pretty rare.
Tonamel
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Tonamel »

Hipster PDA, since I'm generally not at the computer when I get an idea.
catch
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by catch »

Ideas go in pocket notepads, drafts go in various notebooks, final lyrics get typed out on the PC.

I want to get a little tape recorder for humming melodies on the go, but haven't gotten around to it, yet.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Pretty much allways pen (black ink) and paper. My music usually comes before the lyrics, and I like to have it on paper so I can use my recording software w/out having to switch to Notepad or somesuch, since I have a hard time remembering my lyrics.
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I write my music and lyrics at the same time on lined paper with a black pen. If I don't write them that way, I can never get music to the lyrics or lyrics to the music. It has to be spontaneous though for me. I can't really spend a long time writing the song, otherwise it gets boring for me. I can edit some chords and lyrics afterwards, but I have to write quick or I lose it.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I use my hand to smear them on the wall with my own faeces
catch
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by catch »

You could've just said, "Other."
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Paper and pen, almost always, but then once I've made some revisions and know roughly how I want them to go on the song, I'll type them in and pin them to the wall while recording vocals. For songfight songs, my usual working method is to come up with the basic lyric while out walking the dogs in the early morning; anything I can't remember long enough to write down when I get back home probably wasn't up to my impeccably high standards anyway... :-)

I've tried singing from handwritten pages like this, and it's generally quicker to take the time to type in the fixed-up lyric and print it out...

By the way, I've probably mentioned this before, but the originals all get scanned in and integrated into an HTML-based system I have for cataloging all my songs... even if the lyric was written on the computer (which I do once in a while) I'll grab a screen shot or something, or scan in the printed version where I made changes.

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne

Post by c.layne »

couldn't find a pen, i had to think of a new trick. this one i wrote in cold blood with a toothpick.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

I have some notebooks with lyrics, as well as several .txt files. My most recent Songfight entries were all typed in Notepad, but besides those 4 they're all on paper.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Sometimes pen/paper, sometimes Word or Notepad, so I said "Other".
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

Oops. See below.
Last edited by Dan-O from Five-O on Fri May 05, 2006 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JB
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

always pen and paper.

and i think i keep everything i write, in case i ever get rich and famous and then i can sell it on ebay or something. :)
Hi!
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama

Awesome example of what a hand written page can look like K.A.! But mine are always annotated with chord progressions, notes about the type of beat and feel that I'm looking for and such.

I love the fact that you scan and archive that all of it too. I've seen pictures of stuff like Lennon & McCartney notes and it always made me think "See, that's what the creative process looks like".
JB
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

I write out my lyrics in black pen, I then revise in a different colour(usually red), then I sharpie pen in chords in the margin. Then I'll type it all up and make it look pretty.

And sometimes I just make them up.
Songfighter since back in the day.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

Computer definatly. Usually notepad. I do all the music on the computer so there's no reason to waste trees writing on paper. :D
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

Notepad, always. Typically 20 minutes before deadline.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

Definitely pen and paper!

Here's my own wacky process:

1. Write a long blathering stream of consciousness on the subject – with no concern for rhyme, rhythm, meter, grammar, or cohesiveness.

2. Decide how I want the song to sound. (Sometimes 2 precedes 1.)

3. Edit stream of blather to reintroduce all those critical bits ignored in round 1 – I also tend to cut lots of stuff out at this stage. Extra words, extra verses, clunky ideas… anything not quite working for me gets the axe.

I’ll post a pic of one of my illegible chicken-scrawled sheets when I’m back at work.
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Pen and paper, mos' def. Music gets one or more tab sheets. Yes, the top half was scribbles for Rate of Decay (which never got done).

ImageImageImageImage

And the poor little notebook that gets carried around everywhere gets lyrical, intrumentation, and verse structure notes scribbled in over the course of the week. Then the lyrics get rewritten onto a single sheet, tacked up on the wall in the closet for the vocal mutillations.

Unfortunately all I've got on me at work is for the next fight... not that my handwriting is all that legible, heh.

So that's my brain laid out for all to see. :twisted: Now just to finish the damned thing.

-edit- Crap, this thread is for lyric writing only. Well, for me, the lyrics help to write the music, and the music helps to write the lyrics. It's just the way I write all these winning songs :lol:
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day