Best Coen Bros movie

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.

What is the best Coen Bros. movie?

Blood Simple
No votes
Raising Arizona
19%
Miller's Crossing
No votes
Barton Fink
3%
The Hudsucker Proxy
19%
Fargo
16%
The Big Lebowski
28%
O Brother Where Art Thou?
16%
The Man Who Wasn't There
No votes
Intolerable Cruelty
No votes

Total votes: 32
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Best Coen Bros movie

Post by Jim of Seattle »

The Fargo thread inspired this thread.

For me:

Great or really good:
Hudsucker Proxy
Fargo
Intolerable Cruelty

Pretty good
The Man Who Wasn't There
O Brother Where Art Thou
Raising Arizona
Blood Simple

Crummy
The Big Lebowski
Barton Fink
Miller's Crossing
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

I went with Raising Arizona. I think it's they're defining work. But I also really liked Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou?, and The Man Who Wasn't There.

A bunch of those on the list I've never seen, or haven't seen in a long while. Guess I better take some time off from work...
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i've heard a lot about how great these people (and several of these movies) are, but i'm embarrassed to admit i have seen none of them except "fargo". i guess i've got some work to do!!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Wow - hard choice. I love so many of these.
I've gone for Fargo - although it could easily have been O Brother, or Miller's Crossing.

One thing I've always loved about the Coen Bros is that visually, all of their movies seem to be associated with a different colour. Don't quite know how to describe it (any cinematographers out there?) - but Fargo is white, Miller's Crossing is a rich golden brown, O Brother is sort of sunny golden yellow, Arizona a pale sandy yellow... - does this sound strange - does anyone understand what I'm talking about?
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I think Fargo, because it was the one that spent the least amount of time saying 'hey, we understand our place in the big scheme of film history'. I liked the Big Lebowksi. The Man who Wasn't There was Ok but I have an irrational hatred of BBT. Bug-eyed freak. ANd can i say contrioversially - Barton Fink = self-indulgent toss-bucket?

J$
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

Barton Fink = My Favorite Movie (for a long time). Most people don't click with it; thankfully I do. It's fantastic.

Of course, most of the Coen brother's movies are filling up my top ten list.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Favorite
The Hudsucker Proxy

Great
O Brother
Raising Arizona
Big Lebowski
Barton Fink

OK
Intolerable Cruelty
Miller's Crossing

Meh
Fargo
The Man Who Wasn't There

Haven't Seen It
Blood Simple
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Caravan Ray wrote:One thing I've always loved about the Coen Bros is that visually, all of their movies seem to be associated with a different colour. Don't quite know how to describe it (any cinematographers out there?) - but Fargo is white, Miller's Crossing is a rich golden brown, O Brother is sort of sunny golden yellow, Arizona a pale sandy yellow... - does this sound strange - does anyone understand what I'm talking about?
The fact that I understand EXACTLY what you're talking about is testament to their amazing talent.
j$ wrote: The Man who Wasn't There was Ok but I have an irrational hatred of BBT. Bug-eyed freak.
Haha, yeah. But Scarlett Johanson more than makes up for it. Yowza! (though I suppose not for you...)
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Lunkhead wrote:
Haven't Seen It
Blood Simple
Blood Simple is the only one I didn't like much.

No-one has mentioned The Ladykillers - I haven't seen it but I heard it sucks - any comments?
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

c hack wrote:
Haha, yeah. But Scarlett Johanson more than makes up for it. Yowza!
Thinking of Lost in Translation - I second your Yowza!
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

In My roommate is Barry Sonnenfeld's cousin. Barry worked with the Coen Bros on a few of their earlier movies... Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, and I think Fargo.

In Blood Simple, there's a scene where one of the characters signs a contract, but the Coens forgot to shoot the ECU of the hand. So it's my roommate's Dad's hand. Barry's brother.

Totally random trivia, yeah. I voted Hudsucker.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Caravan Ray wrote:No-one has mentioned The Ladykillers - I haven't seen it but I heard it sucks - any comments?
I thought it sucked.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

they are all wonderful, but i have to go with the big lebowski.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Caravan Ray wrote:No-one has mentioned The Ladykillers - I haven't seen it but I heard it sucks - any comments?
Meh. It wasn't the worst movie ever, but not really worth seeing in my opinion. Although the asian dude does this amazing cigarette-swallowing thing that I had to watch on slow-motion a dozen times cause it was so awexome.
Let cake eat them.
Justincombustion
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums. Drums. Drums.
Recording Method: Whatever that stuff in Glenn's basement is.
Submitting as: HalfRacks, Drink/Drank/Drunk, Baby In the Corner, Chuck the Bear

Post by Justincombustion »

Big Lebowski. Simply because In and Out ARE good burgers, man.
"When you can balance a tack-hammer on your head; you can then head off you opponent with a balanced attack!"
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

My roommate, if he were registered here, would cast his vote for Blood Simple.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Bell Green
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Bell Green »

Fargo or O Brother? Fargo I think. But then, there is Pappy O'Daniel's Flour Hour and R-U-N-N-O-F-T. No, I'm sticking with Fargo. My fave scene is where the husband gets up and cooks eggs for his pregnant wife.
so . . . when was the last time you backed up?
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

YA LEBOWSKI.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Blood Simple is just dated. It's a really good premise and it's really well done. However, it's a slow movie and it hasn't aged all that well. However, it's still a very good movie.

Why is Intolerable Cruelty on that list?
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Justincombustion wrote:good burger
now THAT was a good movie.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Hoblit wrote:Blood Simple is just dated. It's a really good premise and it's really well done. However, it's a slow movie and it hasn't aged all that well. However, it's still a very good movie.

Why is Intolerable Cruelty on that list?
http://imdb.com/title/tt0138524/fullcredits

It's not really their story, but they directed it and contributed to the screenplay. I think it's one of the better ones, myself.

Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

Resurrecting a two year old thread. I just watched Miller's Crossing and Blood Simple, and they were both very good.

Blood Simple is probably the least surreal Coen movie (haven't seen Intolerable Cruelty, so I can't say for certain). It lacks the specialized color palette their movies usually have (unless dark is a color), and it's very light on the ironic visual humor they usually deliver (although it makes up with tons of dramatic irony), but it has a fantastically deliberate pace and the atmosphere is absolutely chilling. Another thing I noticed was that the dialogue was very realistic; in fact, everything about this movie--especially the character motivations--was extremely believable. This is something I thought The Man Who Wasn't There was missing, and absolutely needed. As Hoblit mentioned back in 2004, it hasn't aged well, but I still recommend it.

Miller's Crossing was very good, and has nestled snuggly into my top 3 Coen Bros movies. I found the plot and the character motivations too convoluted for my brain to handle in one sitting; I'll probably need to see it again someday. Visually the movie looks stunning, and the color palette thing was in full effect. The acting is good, but John Turturro steals the show. Despite being a generally grim film, I thought this was one of their funniest. When the Coens make a genre-movie they often have a hard time balancing their reverence of the genre with their parodying of it; in Miller's Crossing they pull it of perfectly.