Songfight.org Presents... Live at the Accordion, 12/18/04

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Songfight.org Presents... Live at the Accordion, 12/18/04

Post by ken »

Hey All,

Well it was just about a year ago we started putting on shows here in the Bay Area for Songfight bands. We are going to end the year where we started, at the Accordion in San Francisco.

Please let me know if you would like to attend/perform.

Be well,
Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
adjuster
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Jeskola Buzz
Recording Method: OH, GOD, THE PAIN!
Submitting as: The Landfills

Post by adjuster »

Ohhh... damned tempting. I need to discuss with the GF and the friend that I usually crash with when out there. Damn-- I should just move to SF... :)
"A person who is born with extraordinary natural talents, or who is extremely lucky, deserves nothing on the basis of these characteristics." - Edwin C. Hettinger
--
The Attitude Adjuster, Arugably the remaining half of "The Landfills"
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

What time is it? I MIGHT be able to make it, as I'm maybe going to be down that way earlier that week. Also, where is this venue? Is it downtown? Easy to find? I don't know San Francisco from East Jesus.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

the Accordian is not downtown. It is on alemany blvd. The neighborhood would be considered way outer mission-potrero hill-bayview. It's right off the freeway near the cesar chavez exit (highway 101 runs right behind it) and is probably accessable by the 15 Muni line (3rd street bus).

but i wouldn't recommend you taking the bus jim.
Hi!
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

I would have a car if I came. As long as it's right off some freeway, then no problem. I'd be coming from Pleasanton, where I'd be doing work stuff. It's all still up in the air, though. Depends on
a) the Pleasanton thing actually happening
b) my being able to stay an extra day the week before Christmas
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Alright I'm 80% sure that I'm coming to this and 50% sure that I'll be bringing the core of a band with me. I may need some drumming and vocal help if anyone is interested (I can send mp3s and also I can show up a day early on the 17th for an hour or two of practice).
adjuster
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by adjuster »

jack shite wrote:the Accordian is not downtown. It is on alemany blvd. The neighborhood would be considered way outer mission-potrero hill-bayview. It's right off the freeway near the cesar chavez exit (highway 101 runs right behind it) and is probably accessable by the 15 Muni line (3rd street bus).
Umm... wait-- is "The Accordian" the one that's the second-floor loft-- the one that Derrick attended and did the chair-dancing thing? I'm confused-- isn't it on Bayshore? I think we took the Muni 9 line to get there...

---

I'm finding out about crash-space now. The flight looks good-- as soon as I hear back on crash space, I'll know if I'm coming or not.
"A person who is born with extraordinary natural talents, or who is extremely lucky, deserves nothing on the basis of these characteristics." - Edwin C. Hettinger
--
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

adjuster wrote:
jack shite wrote:the Accordian is not downtown. It is on alemany blvd. The neighborhood would be considered way outer mission-potrero hill-bayview. It's right off the freeway near the cesar chavez exit (highway 101 runs right behind it) and is probably accessable by the 15 Muni line (3rd street bus).
Umm... wait-- is "The Accordian" the one that's the second-floor loft-- the one that Derrick attended and did the chair-dancing thing? I'm confused-- isn't it on Bayshore? I think we took the Muni 9 line to get there...

---

I'm finding out about crash-space now. The flight looks good-- as soon as I hear back on crash space, I'll know if I'm coming or not.
yeah, it's the place that derrick did his chair dance and introduced me and an unsuspecting world to the landfills brand of lapcore. i think alemeny and bayshore may be the same street in that section. it's kind of a mess of street convergence there.
Hi!
adjuster
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

I'm there...

Post by adjuster »

Okay... Plane tickets are purchased and crash space is arranged. I'll be there.

I can offer backing vocal support to others. I don't think I've got the kind of time between now and the show to practice enough to give anybody guitar, bass, or drum support in good conscience, unless your stuff is *REALLY* easy to play.

I'm getting into town on 17 Dec in the morning and will be "chilling" all day Friday and Saturday before the show. I'd be down w/ a practice session, or just hanging out w/ anybody else who might be in town for Songfight reasons.

Practical concern: What's the weather normally like in early December in SF? If I recall from my visit over New Years 2002/3, it was all drizzly and foggy and shit, but not actually cold (e.g. not "Ohio cold").
--
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Hey All,

The venue is confirmed. Please tell your friends.

SF is cold in the winter, warmer during the day, and cold at night. Last year we had a show at the Accordion on December 12th. It rained really hard all day and then cleared up later in the night.

Tentative line up:
sonofsupercar
Loyalty Day
Melody Generator
Ken and the New Incredibles
Abecederian
Humbert
the Landfills

Be well,
Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Rented the space last night. It seems they will be closing down next year and moving to Los Angeles.

Ken

ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Sorry folks, no Melody Generator. He is too busy to play.

Ken

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Damn! I was looking forward to hearing his "Space Cadet" and Da Hikk's rap from the "Step Up" fight. Oh well... Maybe we can get MISS to fill in for him. ;)
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Da Hikk was Melody Generator? I loved that song. I'm going to start radio collaring every songfighter so I can track them better. I think all of you will look nice with a big pink tag stapled to your ears.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

ken is just the publicity whore machine!
http://www.examiner.com/article/index.c ... 4a_hiplist
Hi!
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I think you meant "genius", Jack, not "whore". ;)
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Lunkhead wrote:I think you meant "genius", Jack, not "whore". ;)

...hmmm... there's a difference? No wonder I'm sleeping in the studio tonight....

actually, I'm off to bed...all is well on the home front!!...yep, another smart ass remark from leaf....
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Wow. Is this show tomorrow? I think it is...

Get your ear plugs ready!

Ken

bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Post by bortwein »

ken wrote:Wow. Is this show tomorrow? I think it is...

Get your ear plugs ready!

Ken
No , It's Today! Good luck guys, have fun and ROCK out. Now I'm just waiting to hear some mp3s later.
b o r t w e i n...it rhymes with Design. / bortwein Music SongFight! Archive
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Hey All,

Show went well last night. Not a too many people, but enough to make it fun.

the Landfills played 3 songs. Evan did great, but left us all wanting more.

the Befores played well. The vocalist was just spot on, and for a band who had never performed, were tight.

Ken and the New Incredibles were loud and racous. The new songs went pretty good too.

Gus were also first timers. Nice folks them all, and played some great songs. You all are welcome up here anytime.

Loyalty Day is getting tighter every show. We had fun playing.

Sonofsupercar played pretty late and as always, brought the rock. Seemed like they played more obscure stuff than the usual hits.

All in all, a fun night and a successful event. See you next time.

Be well,
Ken

adjuster
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Great time...

Post by adjuster »

I had a great time... big thanks to Ken for putting this together (and for giving me a ride back up to 24th and Potrero)...

Some highlights for me:

"The Befores" set was great... your "Zero to Phantom" ended up stuck in my head for a bit today. I'm blown away by Ken's prior post that says you guys never played together before! Wow... you had it together.

"Ken and the New Incredibles"... total enjoyment sitting out in the audience singing along and rocking w/ you. The "Explino!" cameo was great!

"Gus"-- the steel guitar was the icing on top of a great ensemble. As I said last night, I didn't think the performance of "A Promise is a Promise" from Austin could be topped, but topped it was. I found myself singing your "I Want to Get Better" while I walked around North Beach today...

"Loyalty Day" is another singalong fest for me... Your songs have a structure and vibe that I really like, and you're all really solid performers. Erin's groovin' to the music is violently entertaining...

"Sonofsupercar": I hadn't heard you guys play w/ a keyboardist/synth before, and I really liked the result. As always, you guys solidly brough the rock, and shaved the top 6000hz off my hearing for next few hours. You'd think I'd learn to bring earplugs.

It was great to see everybody from prior shows, and meet some new people. As always, I had a great time doing laptop karaoke, and an even better time listening and groovin' to my fellow Songfighters. We've got a great community here... ROCK!
--
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Wow. That was fun.

Landfills: Aside from some obvious omissions in your playlist I very much enjoyed your trilogy. Blue Signal is a great one. Bob from my band was really digging your electronic music skills.

Befores: Gorgeous sound. The keys and the voice with subtle guitar work and great percussion. I'd never heard any of these songs before, but there were two or three that had me and everyone else bobbing our heads with smiles on our faces. Now you must change your name to the "Afters".

KNI: It is a humble dream of mine to sing Shreds with you and Erin someday. Sounds of Chrysler, Half a Stone, Indie Rock Bottom - all of these are classics. I must say that I appreciated the lyrics of Indie Rock Bottom on a different level than I had before.

Gus: We had a lot of fun and it was great to meet everyone. Bob says thanks to everyone who appreciated his steel guitar work. I say thanks to the individual who said I had a "Bruce Springsteen ass". Funny.

Loyalty Day: On Saturday I tried to tell Erin and Sam which songs I was really digging but I didn't know their names. Now with the benefit of the archive I know their names: A Promise is a Promise and Laugh Riot were great, but Texas took the entire cake.

Son of SuperCar: I consider it a skill to be able to play the bass so loud that the act of striking a note dims the lights in the room and the surrounding neighborhood without actually blacking anything out. I'd never seen you guys live before but you have made being loud an art form - witness the unconventional use of guitar gear to generate a note that increased in pitch and intensity. I'd always felt 'sideways' listening to your submissions, but I can now add a feeling of 'insignificance' in the face of such a huge wall of sound. Blue looked like he was having a blast.

If I had an award to hand out for most amazing performance, it would be to Sam for some great guitar work. From subtle, intricate, and technical, to balls out rocking. Excellent job from him and everyone else.