I should probably do this later

New Players stand up and be counted.
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones
Pronouns: he/him

I should probably do this later

Post by AJOwens »

My first song isn't even up yet, and for all I know I did it wrong and it won't be up with the rest of the entries. But I'll introduce myself on the off chance I submitted it correctly. Then I suppose I'll go and press the Refresh button some more.

I'm a bass player and composer who isn't ready to quit his day job just yet. I love writing songs, but I haven't found the right collaborators to help me realize them. Overtracking in the studio is OK, but it just doesn't have the same creative energy. I need a band, preferably with another like-minded composer in it.

Being in the over-50 demographic, I have older influences like The Beatles and Procol Harum. I also love Bach, and the folk music that you hear in the Maritimes, and things that other people take for noise like Xenakis' electro-acoustical music. My songs tend to be in whatever genre suits my message, and my message is usually social or political.

When writing songs I try for the unexpected. When recording them, I like to work with polyphony and arrangements to achieve an interesting effect.

Recently I heard about songfight from a friend. I"ve been checking it out, and this place is great! I enjoy the diversity of styles and approaches, and I look forward to learning a lot from the many talented people here.

Are this week's songs up yet? . . .
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: I should probably do this later

Post by JonPorobil »

Welcome!

Some things you might want to know:
1.) The site is updated mostly by hand. Which means that as long as your file was attached and the e-mail was sent to the right address, odds are your song will be there. Fightmasters have a preferred format, but are inclined to show clemency to newcomers.
2.) Because the site is updated by hand (and usually by the same person), the update is sometimes very quick (I think the current record is five minutes after the deadline), and sometimes takes longer. It may be days.
3.) Many of us have just returned home from the annual Songfight Live event, and as such we're a bit beat. I'm sure Fightmaster is included in the group of people who could use a breather.
4.) There was a bit of a kerfuffle about the live recordings. This may have contributed to the current delay.
5.) Provided that your music isn't completely awful, you're likely to find some willing collaborators here on Songfight. I've been the recipient of everything from drums and bass to a horn section to a rap verse, and I've provided piano, keyboards, and vocals. Just ask and ye shall receive.
6.) Welcome to Songfight. Please be awesome!
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Generic wrote:Provided that your music isn't completely awful, you're likely to find some willing collaborators here on Songfight.
...or even if it is, but you are a nice and well-intentioned person. Seems you've got that part covered.
Welcome.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Howdy!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones
Pronouns: he/him

Post by AJOwens »

Paco del Stinko wrote:
Howdy!
As Bob and Doug like to say, "G'day, eh!" I like your stuff.