Full Sail

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne
Pronouns: he/him

Full Sail

Post by c.layne »

i've been seriously considering attending this school once i separate from the air force this fall. i was just wondering if any songfighters have ever taken a course here and/or know anybody who has. and what you/they thought of it.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

i haven't, but i have a friend who's starting there in may i believe.
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

You may not care about this at all, but, I work in the Admissions Office of an online (regionally accredited) university. It is part of my job to verify accreditation of the previous schools that our applicants have attended to determine whether or not we would accept transfer credit into our programs.

I visited Full Sail's website and I could not find any information on accreditation. This is not a good sign because other universities or colleges may not accept transfer credit from this institution and employers may not recognize your degree that you worked hard for and paid (I assume) a crap load of money for. Before you invest said money into a degree that might turn out to be not worth the paper it's printed on, you might want to ask some important questions regarding accreditation. If you need any more info, I could do some research for you as I have many resources at work.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble at all, it seems like they have a lot to offer, I just would hate to see you get screwed.

Just my 2 cents! :!:
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Re: Full Sail

Post by mkilly »

c.layne wrote:i've been seriously considering attending this school once i separate from the air force this fall. i was just wondering if any songfighters have ever taken a course here and/or know anybody who has. and what you/they thought of it.
not to take this off into tangent, but what do you think about the air force? my dad told me it's what I should consider if I have interest in joining the armed forces. pm me if you'd rather than talking here.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

ok... I eat my words. I just looked here, one of the resources I use at work, and they are indeed accredited by ACCSCT, which is not regional, but is recognized.

Enjoy! That school sounds like a blast! :lol:
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

mkilly wrote: not to take this off into tangent, but what do you think about the air force? my dad told me it's what I should consider if I have interest in joining the armed forces. pm me if you'd rather than talking here.
further off topic, sorry...Obviously I know nothing about the US Armed Forces, nor have I ever met you, Marcus - but from your postings on these boards it strikes me that the regimented military life would appear an unusual choice for a free-thinking, politically opinionated gentleman such as yourself?
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Yeah, Marcus, what's all this military stuff? Is that something you want to do? You could always come to England and attend a particular drama school for American students, instead ...

j$
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

I feel an obligation to my country, that's all. Besides that I like to think that I'm clever and can be obedient; a smart guy can do well in career advancement in the military, I understand. I dunno. I'm just going to meet with some recruiters and talk it over, see how attractive it is and how good a fit it might be for me. Other people say the same thing, that it seems crazy that I'd have an interest however slight in doing it. My dad's a W-3 in the Idaho Army National Guard, 116th Armor Cavalry Brigade, and that accounts for some of my interest.

(though, cashpoint, you should send me some shit for that. I'll pm you my address)
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I must admit - with hindsight - I could have done a lot worse than joining the armed forces when I was younger. The career advancement stuff you mention is correct (in Aus. anyway - I assume it's also true for USA) - the forces really do give a young bloke a great head-start if he can put up with shit for a few years.

Mind you - 20 years ago the Australian army wasn't invading anybody - different kettle of fish now...
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

ya'll, the armed forces are full of very very smart people. It is also full of very free thinking people...where do you think it gets all of it's new ideas. If it didn't, we'd just have guns and bombs...nothing covert, no intelligence, no room for creative reasoning. The military's discipline is just the key to the door...

That said, mkilly never struck me as the military type. Obedient? Aren't you the one who suggested walking out on a tab in Austin? You aren't just a free thinker, you're a free spirited person. There's a difference. However, if you are thinking about the presidency, the military is an awesome item to have on that resume. But I'll be sure to mud rake the Austin thing, be ready *SMILEY*

My dad was the only one of four brothers who didn't join a service and his dad was in WWII. (one of my uncles is still in the National Gaurd and just got back from Kuwait a month ago)

It would be an honor to know mkilly and his service to these great United States.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

If I suggested something about walking out on a tab it was in jest. I straight up don't do that shit, man. When I had to leave the one place early, I found our waiter and paid him cash money, though I was unsure if he understood what I was trying to do--that is, pay my part of the bill, being the bill of the two dozen people sitting outside. He probably just pocketed it and so everybody else had to subsidize my vanilla milkshake and curly fries or whatever the hell I had.
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove

Post by c.layne »

thanks for your concern, heather. i was worried about that myself, but i found out that i can use the MGI bill for it, and i can only use it for accredited colleges. but thanks for looking out :) it is a really expensive school, i think the recording course is 40 G's.. o_O

and marcus, i'll PM you.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Hoblit wrote:...where do you think it gets all of it's new ideas.
From.. uh, wait, I'm not at liberty to say.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Post by bortwein »

Heather. Redmon. wrote:ok... I eat my words. I just looked here, one of the resources I use at work, and they are indeed accredited by ACCSCT, which is not regional, but is recognized.

Enjoy! That school sounds like a blast! :lol:
the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, using the acronym CHEA is to me one letter too close to CHEAT.

that's my 2 cents or at least my random thought I wish to share.
b o r t w e i n...it rhymes with Design. / bortwein Music SongFight! Archive
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

wtf is with the two safes goin' at it?
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i was wondering that too... then i realised they're having 'safe sex'.
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

I can't read any of his posts, I am afraid someone walking by my monitor will stop. heh. The safe sex thing got a moan from me. I like the prospect of Mkilly joining the Airforce. I served in that. They love free thinkers like you. Join fast! Tell us all about the spirited political discussions you have with your sergeant. heheh :lol:
I'm Fried BIOTCH!
http://www.friedband.com
drë
Ice Cream Man
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

c.layne wrote:i've been seriously considering attending this school once i separate from the air force this fall. i was just wondering if any songfighters have ever taken a course here and/or know anybody who has. and what you/they thought of it.
Hey c.layne, I live about 30 minutes away from that school and have worked with 5 graduates from their Digital Design program.. I even had an interview with them about 6 months ago, to work on their next version of fullsail.com, but never got the job..

Anyway, that school around here has a reputation for being a very preppy, vocational school, where rich kids go to spend daddy’s money, and poor kids go to find themselves paying student loans for the next 8 years.

This school is so preppy, most of the computer labs have projection screens in the center of the room playing TV/music, while students work on their labs ?? (never understood that one). This place has a very Modern feel to it, both in architecture and decoration. Like lounge chairs in the lobbies and steel stairs, rapping around a pillar, all with accented mood lights.

But like all the former students that I have known say, “its all what you make of it.”
They also say, that yes their Audio/Visual/ Roady (yes, they really do have a degree to be a certified rock star roady.) is probably where the school exceeds at.
You just have to be prepare to go to the mixing labs from like 1am-3am as this are the most affordable rates for the labs, and their usually crowded, I also hope you like techno and DJ music, and really small fonts, and really edgy designs, as I would say 75% of the people that go there, fall under this gender, but that’s just my assessment.

People that do graduate from their Audio/Visual, and actually learn something, usually do get a pretty good entry salary position doing what they want to do, and pay off their students loans with no problem… but you probably have uncle Sam, helping you out paying collage tuition for serving this great nation, and we thank you for it.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

dre wrote:[(yes, they really do have a degree to be a certified rock star roady.)
Yeah - I failed Exposed Arse-Crack 101, but I got a high distinction in Mic Testing 1212
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove

Post by c.layne »

AHAHAHAHAHA!! @caravan ray. i usually don't laugh reading the boards, but i did to that.

thanks for the head's up, dre. yeah, i've got the GI bill helping out, and i'm hoping to pull in some grants to help pay for the rest.
one of the things that really drew me in about this school (besides being able to get a job i want) was the fact that i can retake any of the courses later on down the road for free. and because technology is bound to change, the courses will change, but i don't have to paid the ridiculous tuition fee again. also, automatic job placement after graduating. w00t
i figured there'd be a bunch of rich kids going there. my family was never rich while i was growing up, not even close. but somehow i was usually going to some school or in some area where there were a lot of well-off people, so that won't be too big a deal.
it's only a year course, and that's the greatest thing. no four years of college!! yay!
drë
Ice Cream Man
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

c.layne wrote:AHAHAHAHAHA!! @caravan ray. i usually don't laugh reading the boards, but i did to that.

one of the things that really drew me in about this school (besides being able to get a job i want) was the fact that i can retake any of the courses later on down the road for free.
yes this is true, as 2 gradute friends of mine have done so, i belive you can also visite the library and check out books after graduating as well.
the idiot king
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Keys, Programming, Stuff for Hitting
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: The Idiot Kings
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by the idiot king »

i've heard great things.

to confuse you further, massachusetts has two great schools for audio engineering (provided that's what you were going for): the new england institute of art (http://neia.aii.edu), which is where i go (i have teachers who have worked for lennon, sinatra, the clash, etc, and the place is an absolute blast), and believe it or not, umass lowell (http://www.uml.edu).

uml supposedly has the second best engineering program in the country (behind the grossly overrated berklee); i went there for a semester but hated the curriculum. if you go there for audio engineering, you'd better be prepared to be taking private lessons on an instrument each semester as well as performing in ensembles. it sounded really fun on paper to me until i realized i have no desire to be a virtuoso, nor would i have time to work at a job to pay for school. that said, i can say firsthand that uml has some great teachers, and their newest studio is phenomenal.