What are the different colors about?

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
toddlans
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

What are the different colors about?

Post by toddlans »

Do the different colors have any signifigance? Or are all the categories the same besides the song title each with a random color?
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

They signify the different fights. They don't indicate the color the guitar with which you record your songs has to be, or anything ... ?!?!

And obviously as a pun on the Red Green Blue of old, we have moved onto nice Mac design with CMYK ...

J$
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

it's a long story. the fights are all the same significance. once upon a time there was one fight. then it got popular. now there are 4. maybe next week there will be 3. or 2. but probably not 1.

variety is the spice of life i suppose. that and choice.
Hi!
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Re: What are the different colors about?

Post by erik »

toddlans wrote:Do the different colors have any signifigance? Or are all the categories the same besides the song title each with a random color?
It is suggested (but strongly encouraged) that you choose the fight whose color most closely matches your aura.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

jack shite wrote: variety is the spice of life i suppose. that and choice.
And paprika.

:)
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

j$ wrote:They signify the different fights. They don't indicate the color the guitar with which you record your songs has to be, or anything ... ?!?!

And obviously as a pun on the Red Green Blue of old, we have moved onto nice Mac design with CMYK ...

J$
Hey yo, with your Mac propaganda... no.

CMYK are true printing colors.

And Toddlen, pick a title..go with it...it'll be just fabulous no matter what color it is honey.

/queereye for gayprinting color themes
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Yes, that's fine if you have an industrial printing plant in your back bedroom, but in terms of this 'net we call inter, CMYK=Mac, RGB=Windows and god only knows what Linux has. Does Linux even do pictures? :)

I have to say, I think Macs are all style over substance. Look great, but clumsy to use and remarkably incompatible with anything other than itself. Every time Apple is about to do the decent thing and go out of business, they make something pretty but essentially useless (Imac, IPod) and stagger on for a few more years.

[/touchpaper lit - retire safe distance]

j$
bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Post by bortwein »

Can we do Pantone Colored fights next? or how about Web Safe Hex color?
b o r t w e i n...it rhymes with Design. / bortwein Music SongFight! Archive
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

j$ wrote:Yes, that's fine if you have an industrial printing plant in your back bedroom, but in terms of this 'net we call inter, CMYK=Mac, RGB=Windows and god only knows what Linux has. Does Linux even do pictures? :)

I have to say, I think Macs are all style over substance. Look great, but clumsy to use and remarkably incompatible with anything other than itself. Every time Apple is about to do the decent thing and go out of business, they make something pretty but essentially useless (Imac, IPod) and stagger on for a few more years.

j$
well, i'm not sure where you get your information johnny (i can guess it's the net we call inter) but CMYK is not specifically Mac based. CMYK refers to the colors of ink used to process 4 color printing. RGB refers to the colors of light refracted through your monitor. there is a big, significant difference and it has nothing to do with which platform you might be using. it's the difference between refracted light and reflected light, and how we see it.
Hi!
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Macs use RGB just like all other computers. They just happen to also have pretty good colormatching support built-in to the OS and support the use of CMYK color values, since it's useful for printing press people.
You realize that this means we can not be friends, right?

(Also, have you used a Mac recently, like as of version 10.2 or later? It's VERY different now than it was a few years ago when they still ran the old OS. Plus, MacOS has way more compatability with other OSes than any other -- it supports more networking protocols out of the box than any other system, and is an even better Windows file server than Windows itself, particularly since MS likes to break their file serving stuff to make it so that people need to pay more money to keep everything "current," which is a misnomer since tech-wise Windows XP is many years behind OSX, and MS is back to playing catch-up. Of couse, MacOS can't natively run Windows apps, but Windows can't natively run MacOS or UNIX apps - while MacOS *can* natively run UNIX apps. Go figure.)

[zealot mode off for now]
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Yeah, the osx is pretty cool. i had good luck in getting it to transparently read dos-formatted media, whereas the other way, you're out of luck.
i do get annoyed because when i try to open a connection to my fileserver from the mac, the login window appears behind everything else. what's up with that! i think they're biased, since it's a windows server.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

j$ wrote:they make something pretty but essentially useless (IPod)
j$
I have to say my iPod is one of the least useless things I own. I use it almost everyday and have around 2000 songs on it. I haven't even taken stuff off Somesongs and put it on there yet.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

The window is put up by Finder, so if Finder is in the background it'll probably put the window behind the current app even if you initiated the connection from another app's file browser. The whole Windows share login process could use a bit of work anyway, though (but a lot of it is just because SMB is broken as designed, like with how its mount points work and so on).

Also, the iMac is pretty non-useless too. Until a few months ago my sister was *still* using her old iMac G3/266 made way back in 1999, running OSX on it and everything - she only upgraded because I gave her my old G4/450 (also made way back in 1999, and still a very useful system for the average user).
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Check out Callaway books, like Miss Spider. Some are printed with 8 colors (CMYK plus additional grades of CMYK, reducing graininess and increasing sharpness in the mid tones) and the images seem to jump off the page! Straight CMYK is for amateurs.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Um, guys, I was deliberately winding you all up? As in '[/touchpaper lit - retire safe distance]'?

I mean, the concept of CMYK within a desktop computer framework crossed over into the big time with Photoshop, which originated on the Mac. (I may be wrong about that, but that's how I understand it.) When photoshop crossed to PC, it brought the concept of CMYk with it. That's all I meant about cmyk=mac, rgb=pc.

As for Macs, I have used them recently (yesterday most recently) on 10.x (I'm not sure which version it was.) the first computer I used was a old green screen Mac. So I have no problems with them per se, but my point is essentially, now, whether you accuse Bill Gates of pilfering, there is next to no difference between PC & Mac. Except the £1,000 you have to pay for Photoshop now it has become graphic design industry standard.

And I still stand by the fact that an IPOD is just a fancy walkman :) £200 for a different color one - and you accuse Bill Gates of being mercenary? :?

And Apple do lurch from crisis to crisis.

the rest was just computer-geek-baiting hahahaha

j$
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

j$ wrote:Um, guys, I was deliberately winding you all up? As in '[/touchpaper lit - retire safe distance]'?

the rest was just computer-geek-baiting hahahaha

j$

Troll.

c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

j$ wrote:So I have no problems with them per se, but my point is essentially, now, whether you accuse Bill Gates of pilfering, there is next to no difference between PC & Mac.
I'm going to take issue with this later on when it's not time for beer. But basically, I completely disagree.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

c hack wrote:
j$ wrote:So I have no problems with them per se, but my point is essentially, now, whether you accuse Bill Gates of pilfering, there is next to no difference between PC & Mac.
I'm going to take issue with this later on when it's not time for beer. But basically, I completely disagree.
Yeah, PC's are far superior.

/troll
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

j$ wrote:And Apple do lurch from crisis to crisis.
Aside from opinions about any particular OS, just what "crisis" are you refering to? Apple has been and remains quite profitable, out of debt and flush with money. More so now because of iPod. Anyone who thinks consistantly owning 3% of a...what...godzillion dollar industry isn't doing ok has other expectations thoroughly unrelated to financial health.

As for CMYK, etc. you are correct in that the first true desktop color production systems were created for Mac (by Adobe and Quark) and Postscript is fully integrated into the Mac OS, which as Fluffy has pointed out, is essentially a flavor of Unix, not some pethetic distant cousine of DOS. Oops, I wasn't going to go there...
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Leaf wrote:
Troll.

Bwahahahaha - outed at last!

j$
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Oh, also, Nikon Coolpix cameras use some funky color filter array which isn't RGB which apparently really helps with the color quality, even though it ends up just getting converted to RGB in the end anyway (with a wider gamut).
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne

Post by c.layne »

ok, i must be really behind the curve. why does K stand for black? is it because B stands for blue, and they just took the K off the end of black? could it really be so simple?!