Duncan's Play!

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
Duncan, of Level Nivelo
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Duncan's Play!

Post by Duncan, of Level Nivelo »

Repost, since there's suddenly awesome new message boards... :D

Hey everyone! Here's the reason I haven't been SongFighting the last couple of weeks: I've been in rehearsal for my play that's going up October 7th, in NYC!

The 3rd Annual Spotlight On Halloween Festival
presents
Eternity: Time Without End
a new play Written and Directed by Duncan Pflaster
Produced by Cross-Eyed Bear Productions

When Eleven diverse people come separately to a secluded beach looking for a rumored fountain of youth, they find more than they bargained for. Duncan Pflaster's entertaining and provocative new play Eternity: Time Without End explores topical issues of community, homosexuality, childhood, innocence, and sacrifice. A cast of 12 performers share a stage in an acting tour-de-force that is a fascinating trip through the evolution of language.

"...Most of Duncan Pflaster's work has a Thornton Wilderesque quality to it. (...) This author is truly among the current undiscovered great off-off Broadway writers."
- G.S. Bowen, "Hi-Drama" (Manhattan Cable Show)

For all the information, head to the Cross-Eyed Bear Productions Website:
http://www.superpickle.com/ceb
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward
Pronouns: he/him

Post by joshw »

Oh cool, I didn't know Duncan was around here. Mailbox kicks some serious ass. You guys need to fight. :)
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

Dates: Thursday, October 7th - 9PM
Saturday October 9th - 9:30PM
Sunday October 10th - 9:30PM
Thursday October 14th - 7PM
Friday October 15th - 3:30PM
Tuesday October 19th - 8:30PM
ok i mentioned this on dumbrella 1.0 but that's long gone now so i will re-mention it.

since within the next day or two i will become unemployed, and stay that way for approximately one month, and then might not have much time off working for who-knows-how-long, i think this would be a great opportunity for me to get away for a couple of days and stuff.

it would have to be *during* the week though. so of the above-quoted dates i would say either of the thursdays (and like a day or two preceding them) or the final tuesday (and a day or so after) would be my options. what i am wondering is this: all you new-york based people...
#1 can somebody shelter me for like two or three days on one of those occasions
#2 is there a particular time when it would be more likely for other interesting stuff happening around the area, and
#3 is there a particular time when it would be more likely for a number of SF-related locals to get together and hang out???

please discuss amongst yourselves and let me know! thanks
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

October 8-11 is the annual <a href="http://www.sandwichfairnh.com/">Sandwich Fair</a> up here in New Hampshire. It's your traditional agricultural fair: livestock, greasy food, hastily assembled carnival rides, and swarms of rural folk. I'll be there, complaining loudly that nobody has invented low-carb fried dough yet. TVIYH, if you feel like wandering this far north to gawk at oxen and eat soup-in-a-bun, let me know.

Duncan, your show sounds AWESOME. Wish I could make it down there.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

What voice said. Except I think it'd be much nicer to get together on a weekend.

Very cool, Duncan. Congrats.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

jim: sounds awesome, but impending unemployment also means i will be semi-poor. i figure i can afford driving 350 miles each way to NYC, but can't really plan on going elsewhere.

chack: i would agree with you about the weekend thing except family obligations would require me to be home then. so i was thinking of heading up that direction for like a tuesday->thursday kind of thing.
Duncan, of Level Nivelo
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Whoa.

I thought I had this set up to notify me when I got responses, but I guess not. And here I thought nobody cared.

tviyh, there's always interesting stuff going on in NYC. here's a searchable calendar.
I think my apartment is too small to comfortably fit anyone else.
joshw wrote:Oh cool, I didn't know Duncan was around here. Mailbox kicks some serious ass. You guys need to fight. :)
Yeah, I've been recording as Level Nivelo. Irving and Goatboy did a song together (that won) as "Weisenheimer".
"If possible, you may have gone creatively overboard". -Bolio
joshw
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Egg Shaker
Recording Method: Focusrite > Reaper
Submitting as: Josh Woodward
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Whoa.

Post by joshw »

Duncan wrote:
joshw wrote:Oh cool, I didn't know Duncan was around here. Mailbox kicks some serious ass. You guys need to fight. :)
Yeah, I've been recording as Level Nivelo. Irving and Goatboy did a song together (that won) as "Weisenheimer".
Ohhh, you're that Duncan! I never would have guessed that. We need an official Mailbox songfight entry. In a fight that I'm not in, please. :)
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

okokok so my situation has changed -- i will no longer be unemployed for a whole month; it will only be two weeks. so pretty much the dates that are available for me would be:

Thursday, October 7th - 9PM
Thursday October 14th - 7PM

probably i would plan on arriving in town tuesday evening or wednesday morning, and staying somewhere (although i haven't had any suggestions as to where) and going to the show thursday evening and then hanging out afterwards probably and then heading home at that time or possibly friday morning.

time is kind of running short for making plans though, and i'm not really sure how much extra cash i have right now for a hotel or whatever, so i guess if i can't locate alternate arrangements soon i will just have to give it a miss. :cry:
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Blah. I really wanted to see at least one showing, but work interfered with my ability to do anything non-work. Stupid capitalist system.
Duncan, of Level Nivelo
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

fluffy wrote:Blah. I really wanted to see at least one showing, but work interfered with my ability to do anything non-work. Stupid capitalist system.
Sorry you missed it. It was a kickass show. We got a good review, too:

Eternity: Time Without End, written and directed by Duncan Pflaster, is reminiscent of existential works such as Waiting for Godot or Skin or Our Teeth. Duncan Pflaster has created a modern-day American production which questions relationships, love, youth and the definition of family. The entire ensemble is superb with the chameleon performer Jason Specland performing everything from a pizza boy, to a British society man, to a clown. Humorous and thought provoking.

-Christopher Farr, Hi Drama (Manhattan Cable Show)
"If possible, you may have gone creatively overboard". -Bolio
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Wow, that's a pretty glowing plug. How much did it cost? :lol:
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

hm, i really enjoyed "waiting for godot" when we read it in high school. i've never seen it performed though. then one day at a used book sale i came across a copy of another thing by the same guy -- "endgame" i think it was called. it was the most fucked up thing i'd ever read; i didn't understand a single word of it.

uhh, yeah. just thought i'd share.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

tviyh wrote:hm, i really enjoyed "waiting for godot" when we read it in high school. i've never seen it performed though. then one day at a used book sale i came across a copy of another thing by the same guy -- "endgame" i think it was called. it was the most fucked up thing i'd ever read; i didn't understand a single word of it.

uhh, yeah. just thought i'd share.
Samuel Beckett is a genius. 'Godot' and 'Endgame' are just sooooo funny! If you get a chance to see his stuff performed go see it. it makes much more sense when acted out. On the page it can seem non-sensical or pretentious, but played well it is totally entertaing. Krapp's Last Tape (or 'Krapp's Derniere Bande' to give it its original, double-entendre meaning) is my favourite. Be warned his later stuff gets more experimental.

uhhh, yeah. just thought i'd share. :)